“A Tuesday Night Godsend”
Review of Downtown Joe's

Downtown Joe's
Ranked #44 of 307 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Second
Description: Downtown Joe's Brewery is built into the historic Oberon Building on the Napa River. It has a full bar, river view dinning room and outdoor seating.
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Visiting from Scotland, we were looking for food at 10pm on a Tuesday in late November when we stumbled across Downtown Joe's .... Friendly service and tasty food from an interesting pub menu. Joe's brew their own beer so there is plenty to choose from. A late night Godsend ;-)

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed in downtown area Napa to visit family. It was a Friday night so we knew everywhere would be crowded. They sat us right away in the upstairs restaurant. You can eat in the bar, out on the heated patio or in the dining room. The dining room has the best view of the Napa River. There is a nice variety of food. I tried the Cioppino. It was too spicy, no shellfish and without any fish flavor. I'm sorry to say I actually sent it back. We then had the burgers and loved them. Wine was pricey and just OK. But they're a brewery, so next time I'll try the handcrafted ale. It's not a quiet place, just noisy and fun.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were looking for a place to grab a quick snack while wandering through town and Dowtown Joe's was a great choice. We had great food in a fun atmosphere.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you're looking for the best burger and maybe a view of the Napa River check this place out. Also tried a chicken strip from my grandsons plate, very good. Service also very good. I've been here several times always happy.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

For a midweek dinner we weren't sure what we would do while a family member attended an evening art lecture and a private coffee-klatsch afterwards, but on our way to the venue we noticed this small brew-pub and came back for the chance of a leisurely late dinner without the usual Napa frou-frou Five Star foodie treatment. Then for a moment I was worried that instead we'd have to put up with the typical sports TV, headbanger rock and roll and roaring yahoos with backward ball caps that beer bars usually feature, and sure enough there is a separate entrance to the bar -- which we didn't go into. So, as far as I know the bar scene here is genteel and urbane with customers sipping their tipple most discreetly and discussing contemporary literature. The adjacent restaurant was quite pleasant, however, and for a Tuesday night after 7 pm it had more people in it than I'd expected. We sat in the back room by huge windows overlooking the Napa River, and were entertained by the view and a deliriously happy toddler wandering around between the tables, thrilled with everything he saw except his mom following behind who kept herding him back to his table. Dinner, fresh beer, and a floor show!

We each had a 6-taster sample tray of the brewery's unique product, and though as usual it was served ice cold (fresh ale should be at 54 degrees, not 40) the beers were quite tasty indeed with the possible exception of the Thistle Ale which is bitter enough to cave your whole face in. Actually the Porter is way too bitter also, and the Stout not really bitter enough, but if you switch these two around the lineup works out much better.

The menu is "pub fare" and a bit pricey, but the beer-batter onion rings were utterly perfect, my reuben sandwich was exemplary, their potato salad could hardly be improved, and my wife's salad was quite superior, so really, the place was much better than we'd thought it would be, and they had no problem with us lingering for quite a while (past 9:00!) over our coffee. There was nothing not to like.