“Bugs & panic attack = Find another motel”
Review of Napa Discovery Inn

Napa Discovery Inn
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Napa
San Jose, California, United States
“Bugs & panic attack = Find another motel”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Napa Discovery Inn may be the worst motel in all of Napa Valley.

The parking lot is exposed, isolated, and dark. The moment I pulled in I started to feel nervous and uncomfortable. (I'm female and I was traveling alone.) My very first thought was "my truck's gonna get broken into."

Check-in was okay, though there was an overpowering smell of curry (to which I am allergic) and loud talking in the room next to the office. They charged my credit card in advance for two nights--that's not normal for motels in this area.

The parking space in front of my room was too small for my compact pickup, but I didn't want to move it because I wanted it blocking the very exposed front window.

The room was much smaller than online photos indicated. It smelled awful and it wasn't overly clean. A desk and fridge were jammed into a tiny dark alcove. Then I heard the distintive whine of mosquitos coming from right above my head. And finally, a large orange and yellow spider sauntered across the night stand.

I'm phobic about bugs in hotel rooms, so I started to panic. I'd seen chain motels on my way to the Discovery Inn, and knew I could get a room elsewhere. So I took my keys back up to the desk and checked out.

The clerk tried to give me another room. When I said no, and described the bug problems, he started yelling at me. He tried to bully/guilt me into staying. It didn't work and I got the hell out of there. Lost the money, but it was worth it to be in a decent motel (the Hawthorne Suites).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank travelswithpain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Spokane
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Napa Discovery Inn is well maintained and clean. The continental breakfast was good and the coffee was excellent. It was an easy hotel to find and is close to downtown Napa. The free high speed wireless internet and free local phone calls were a bonus! Our two day stay was pleasant and comfortable. I would stay here again without any hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
West Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute because most hotels in Napa were already booked for Friday night. Shortly after booking a room I read a scathing review, with pictures of the Discovery Inn. Due to the horrendous pictures, I was not expecting much at all. Hoping for a bed with no bugs, etc.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. The grounds were neat and clean and nicely landscaped. The room was large, clean, comfortable and quiet. I had a refrigerator, microwave, TV with lots of channels and even an ante room to spread out, if needed. The only con I experienced was the shower leaked a bit and after showering, there was water all over the floor. We just put towels on the floor and it took care of the problem. I don't know what the other reviewer was expecting when he gave his review but we were pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Don't know about the other rooms but we had room 16 and it was just fine.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Recently made trip to Napa CA. Made reservation at the Discovery Inn. Do not go here! The rooms are run down, no heat, a one man operation and it appears to be a converted warehouse. We checked in and checked out in 10 minutes. We did not get our money back however, well worth the loss and went to the Hilton. This place is so bad they owe me stars for rating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ruberuiz

Travelers are raving about these Napa hotels

Singapore
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is older than it looks like on the web. Location is a bit off. It is near by an auto repair station, surrounding by many banana trees.

I couldnt ask much for the price but overall didnt feel great when staying there.

Also, it isn't a great idea to visit Napa in December either. All the vine trees die so it is not beautiful as you see in the brochure.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank HTNHL
San Jose
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The worst place ever!!!
Rude owners and they charged our credit card even though we left after finding another hotel! We smelled GOAT URINE! The bathroom was dirty with hairs around the sink and shower! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read other reviews!!! This is exactly why we have Trip Advisor! Our eyes were burning and my wife wouldnt even step on the carpet! NASTY! The bedspread and the sheets and towels were old and stained. The refrigerator had someone elses old leftover food inside and there was a half eaten burrito in the microwave! We complained within our first five minutes, found another hotel and left and reversed our credit card charges!
THANK YOU TRIP ADVISOR FOR LETTING US USE YOUR WEBSITE TO WARN OTHERS!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lawrence M
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This place had bed bugs and all kinds of insects....I got insect bites all over my face. The owner/manager of this place also doesn't acknowledge the fact that this place has bed bugs and insects. Spring was poking out of the spring mattress...which was harmful.

Stay away from this place...please!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family