“A wonderful, special day!”

Napa Valley Wine Trolley
Napa Valley Wine Trolley
Ranked #16 of 124 Tours in Napa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience Napa Valley like you never have before! The Napa Valley Wine Trolley allows you to take in the gorgeous scenery, aromas, and tastes of world class vineyards from a fun and unique perspective. The Napa Valley Wine Trolley is a motorized, authentic replica of a late 1890’s San Francisco cable car.
Poughkeepsie, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wonderful, special day!”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I can't comment on our ride without talking about Ben...he rocks! Although we had a difficult time getting through to make a reservation, when we did get someone, everything went smoothly and efficiently. It was a last minute plan and reservations were made the morning of the ride, but we were "penciled in" and all set when we checked in with Ben.

I took a much needed trip with my friend to escape the longest East Coast Winter and had never been to this area of California, it was beautiful. We wanted to do some wine tasting and to see the sights but didn't want to be concerned about driving. We had looked at the Wine Train, but actually settled with the Wine Trolley because of a "winter special". Boy, am I glad that we did, it was awesome. We were lucky to have a beautiful day, and the open air design was perfect. Plus, who wants to sit inside when you've been wine tasting? We thoroughly enjoyed the experience at the four wineries and the "picnic lunch" made it amazing. The lunch wasn't at all what we expected, it was simple but elegant and served on the patio of a gorgeous, rustic restaurant in the beautiful hamlet of Yountville. Honestly, we had expected something very informal and were extremely, pleasantly surprised.

Safety...safety...safety. Ben was brilliant in making sure that everyone entered and exited at one point from the trolley to ensure that no one would get hurt, he also reminded us to hydrate and had a cooler of water onboard to keep us going.

Long and short, the trip was worth more than what we paid for it, we got our money's worth and much, much more. We were very, very pleased- should we head there again, a ride on the trolley is a must. We have told all of our friends about our fantastic experience. Thanks!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank HudsonValley64

San Mateo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ben made this trip for us!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

There were 8 of us on the Trolley on Saturday for our friend's bachelorette party. Ben was AMAZING! He was very informative, very sweet and very knowledgeable. He was entertaining and really made the tour for us. If not for Ben, it would have been a completely different experience. I cannot say enough that we LOVED Ben. Seriously, we love Ben.

That being said, Franciscan winery was our first stop and was a complete and utter disappointment. First we were sent into a little room where we were told we were "VIPs", completely untrue. A woman came in with an envelope and charged $15.00 "drinking or not drinking" for 3 very small tastings of not-so-great wine. We then had to sit down and listen to a gentleman for 30 minutes about the winery. He then walked us down the path talking more about history and then told us we could just walk back and sit down. We then sat for another 20-30 minutes with nothing to do and no where to go. The grounds are pretty but there aren't paths to walk on or and nothing really around to see. We all sat in the courtyard for 20-30 minutes. Two women in our group purchased glasses a wine for $7 so $15.00 for a tasting not even equivalent to 1 glass of wine was ridiculous. Between the quality of wine, the sheer boredom of being lectured to and the price, Franciscan was a waste of money and time. The tour was off to the worst start and not one of us had high hopes for the rest of the day.

The rest of the wineries were lovely and made for a great day, but Franciscan was truly the worst. I would hesitate recommending the Wine Trolley to anyone knowing that the Franciscan is on the list. If you do book this, make sure you have Ben and make sure you don't go to the Franciscan. The tour itself was fun and if I haven't said it enough, we LOVED Ben.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Katie B
NVWTGeneral_Manager, General Manager at Napa Valley Wine Trolley, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy ALL of your recent Napa Valley Wine Trolley Tour. We, as a company, make every effort to make our tours as pleasant as possible.

In reading your review, I see that you and your group enjoyed the rest of your tour and “Ben” your tour guide. For that we are extremely pleased.

I have discussed the situation with your driver and reached out to the Franciscan Tasting Room / Hospitality Manager. I WILL get to the bottom of this situation and correct to the best of OUR abilities.

Unfortunately, we can not take control of the entire tour. However, we can discuss adverse experiences with our partners and make every effort to correct this type of unfortunate situation from happening again.

Again, we appreciate the feed back our guests provide to our drivers and myself; good or bad. While all of us prefer all of our guests to have a wonderful experience, we work twice as hard to correct negative feed back and will make every attempt to correct the issues that you experienced.

Please let your group know that in the event that you our any that were in your party EVER return to the Napa or Sonoma Valleys, I would like to personally invite you to tour with us again, on me. We honestly want all of our guests to enjoy our tours. From start to finish!

Thank you again for selecting the Napa Valley Wine Trolley Tour. We take our customers very seriously and will take steps to correct this unfortunate experience. Please know that your comments have not gone on deaf ears.
Houston, Texas
“Ben is the man!!!!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I just traveled to Napa for the first time and had the pleasure to take the Napa Valley Wine Trolley with our driver/guide Ben. I must say we had a rough start with a mix up on pick up location but the GM did everything in his power to rectify the situation to make sure our Valentine's Day was a great one. My partner and I caught up with the trolley not missing much action and clicked right away with the other couples and Ben. Our trip was fun, interactive and memorable. I would definitely do it again.

1 Thank cfoxrun
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not worth it”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I went to Napa last September. The guide was impossible to hear over the speaker system while driving. Monticello was an amazing vineyard and that visit alone almost made it worth it. The rest of the vineyards were okay. At lunch I gave a specified requirement of no mayo which I specified on the wine trolley reservation. When we arrived at lunch there was nothing accommodating that. The waitress was rude when I requested a sandwich without mayo. Normally I wouldn't make even ask but we were drinking wine all day! The guide was okay when he wasn't reminding everyone he had to be tipped.
Overall when we went to a private tour of the Francis Ford Coppola vineyard we had a lot more fun. This was NOT worth the money.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Cartercl
NVWTGeneral_Manager, Manager at Napa Valley Wine Trolley, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent Napa Valley Wine Trolley Tour. As you can see from our reviews, we take what we do very seriously.

You mentioned that you enjoyed your tasting at Monticello Vineyards. We are pleased that you started your tour off right. The other winery partners that you visited are very well known in the valley for their wines, history and hospitality. I’m sorry that you didn't enjoy them as much.

We make every effort to accommodate our guest’s dietary needs. I personally visited with the manager and chef about your experienced at lunch. Please note that NapaStyle, being a Gourmet Eatery, does not use mayonnaise. They actually use a custom made aioli spread. I also discuss the table service; they expressed their apologies to you as well.

Our drivers do make every effort to be inner-active with our guests and discuss such things as growing regions; inform guests as of what is going on in the vineyards; and over views of the next winery stops. I am sorry that you could not hear them clearly. For our guests safety, our driver use a “Hands free” device, and perhaps you were sitting away from the driver. We will work in increasing the volume on the tour.

As for your uncomfortable feelings surrounding your driver and his inappropriate reminding of “Tipping” him, I will get to bottom of that situation immediately. This is not a normal procedure and is not acceptable. The drivers will discuss several items when the tour begins, but should not make guests feel uncomfortable tipping the drivers.
We appreciate the feed back our guests provide to us; good or bad. While we prefer all of our guests to have a wonderful experience, we work twice as hard to correct negative feed back and will make every attempt to correct the issues that you experienced.

In the event that you EVER return to the Napa or Sonoma Valleys, I would like to personally invite you to tour with us again, on me. We at the Napa Valley Wine Trolley want you to experience our quality and service minded drivers. AND I personally what you and your husband to experience what our other guests have experience and enjoyed.

Thank you again for selecting the Napa Valley Wine Trolley Tour. Please know that your comments have not gone on deaf ears. Additionally, we take our customers very seriously and will take steps to correct this unfortunate experience.
Oceanside, California
“A Napa Must!!!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I would both agree the highlight of our Northern California trip was taking the WIne Trolley on December 19th. Our tour guide, Ben, not only let us take our time at the wineries, informed us with Napa factoids, and was also very courteous/attentive. He was great!
Since our trip was so close to Christmas, we actually had the trolley to our selves on our tour date. We stoped at 4 wineries - Monticello and Bell were our favorites! Each winery we stopped at were already prepared for us to arrive. We greatly enjoyed the organization and detailed tours at each winery we stopped at. The only cost not included is the wine fees and obviously the wine itself.
Also, the lunch stop at Napa Style was extra special. The head chef and staff were prepared for us to arrive. Our table had a "reserved" sign on it in addition with a menu and drinks all ready for us. Service and food at Napa Style was A+!
I would recommend the Wine Trolley for anyone visiting Napa - worth well more than $99 a ticket! My husband and I plan to visit again in the fall.

Visited December 2013