“Ben made this trip for us!”

Napa Valley Wine Trolley
Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Castle Tour
Ranked #13 of 130 Tours in Napa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience Napa Valley like you never have before! The Napa Valley Wine Trolley allows you to take in the gorgeous scenery, aromas, and tastes of world class vineyards from a fun and unique perspective. The Napa Valley Wine Trolley is a motorized, authentic replica of a late 1890’s San Francisco cable car.
Reviewed March 10, 2014

There were 8 of us on the Trolley on Saturday for our friend's bachelorette party. Ben was AMAZING! He was very informative, very sweet and very knowledgeable. He was entertaining and really made the tour for us. If not for Ben, it would have been a completely different experience. I cannot say enough that we LOVED Ben. Seriously, we love Ben.

That being said, Franciscan winery was our first stop and was a complete and utter disappointment. First we were sent into a little room where we were told we were "VIPs", completely untrue. A woman came in with an envelope and charged $15.00 "drinking or not drinking" for 3 very small tastings of not-so-great wine. We then had to sit down and listen to a gentleman for 30 minutes about the winery. He then walked us down the path talking more about history and then told us we could just walk back and sit down. We then sat for another 20-30 minutes with nothing to do and no where to go. The grounds are pretty but there aren't paths to walk on or and nothing really around to see. We all sat in the courtyard for 20-30 minutes. Two women in our group purchased glasses a wine for $7 so $15.00 for a tasting not even equivalent to 1 glass of wine was ridiculous. Between the quality of wine, the sheer boredom of being lectured to and the price, Franciscan was a waste of money and time. The tour was off to the worst start and not one of us had high hopes for the rest of the day.

The rest of the wineries were lovely and made for a great day, but Franciscan was truly the worst. I would hesitate recommending the Wine Trolley to anyone knowing that the Franciscan is on the list. If you do book this, make sure you have Ben and make sure you don't go to the Franciscan. The tour itself was fun and if I haven't said it enough, we LOVED Ben.

3  Thank Katie B
NVWTGeneral_Manager, General Manager at Napa Valley Wine Trolley, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy ALL of your recent Napa Valley Wine Trolley Tour. We, as a company, make every effort to make our tours as pleasant as possible.

In reading your review, I see that you and your group enjoyed the rest of your tour and “Ben” your tour guide. For that we are extremely pleased.

I have discussed the situation with your driver and reached out to the Franciscan Tasting Room / Hospitality Manager. I WILL get to the bottom of this situation and correct to the best of OUR abilities.

Unfortunately, we can not take control of the entire tour. However, we can discuss adverse experiences with our partners and make every effort to correct this type of unfortunate situation from happening again.

Again, we appreciate the feed back our guests provide to our drivers and myself; good or bad. While all of us prefer all of our guests to have a wonderful experience, we work twice as hard to correct negative feed back and will make every attempt to correct the issues that you experienced.

Please let your group know that in the event that you our any that were in your party EVER return to the Napa or Sonoma Valleys, I would like to personally invite you to tour with us again, on me. We honestly want all of our guests to enjoy our tours. From start to finish!

Thank you again for selecting the Napa Valley Wine Trolley Tour. We take our customers very seriously and will take steps to correct this unfortunate experience. Please know that your comments have not gone on deaf ears.

All reviews
"a lot of fun"
in 19 reviews
"fun experience"
in 11 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 13 reviews
in 7 reviews
"our honeymoon"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I just traveled to Napa for the first time and had the pleasure to take the Napa Valley Wine Trolley with our driver/guide Ben. I must say we had a rough start with a mix up on pick up location but the GM did everything in his power to rectify the situation to make sure our Valentine's Day was a great one. My partner and I caught up with the trolley not missing much action and clicked right away with the other couples and Ben. Our trip was fun, interactive and memorable. I would definitely do it again.

1  Thank cfoxrun
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I went to Napa last September. The guide was impossible to hear over the speaker system while driving. Monticello was an amazing vineyard and that visit alone almost made it worth it. The rest of the vineyards were okay. At lunch I gave a specified requirement of no mayo which I specified on the wine trolley reservation. When we arrived at lunch there was nothing accommodating that. The waitress was rude when I requested a sandwich without mayo. Normally I wouldn't make even ask but we were drinking wine all day! The guide was okay when he wasn't reminding everyone he had to be tipped.
Overall when we went to a private tour of the Francis Ford Coppola vineyard we had a lot more fun. This was NOT worth the money.

2  Thank Cartercl
NVWTGeneral_Manager, Manager at Napa Valley Wine Trolley, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent Napa Valley Wine Trolley Tour. As you can see from our reviews, we take what we do very seriously.

You mentioned that you enjoyed your tasting at Monticello Vineyards. We are pleased that you started your tour off right. The other winery partners that you visited are very well known in the valley for their wines, history and hospitality. I’m sorry that you didn't enjoy them as much.

We make every effort to accommodate our guest’s dietary needs. I personally visited with the manager and chef about your experienced at lunch. Please note that NapaStyle, being a Gourmet Eatery, does not use mayonnaise. They actually use a custom made aioli spread. I also discuss the table service; they expressed their apologies to you as well.

Our drivers do make every effort to be inner-active with our guests and discuss such things as growing regions; inform guests as of what is going on in the vineyards; and over views of the next winery stops. I am sorry that you could not hear them clearly. For our guests safety, our driver use a “Hands free” device, and perhaps you were sitting away from the driver. We will work in increasing the volume on the tour.

As for your uncomfortable feelings surrounding your driver and his inappropriate reminding of “Tipping” him, I will get to bottom of that situation immediately. This is not a normal procedure and is not acceptable. The drivers will discuss several items when the tour begins, but should not make guests feel uncomfortable tipping the drivers.
We appreciate the feed back our guests provide to us; good or bad. While we prefer all of our guests to have a wonderful experience, we work twice as hard to correct negative feed back and will make every attempt to correct the issues that you experienced.

In the event that you EVER return to the Napa or Sonoma Valleys, I would like to personally invite you to tour with us again, on me. We at the Napa Valley Wine Trolley want you to experience our quality and service minded drivers. AND I personally what you and your husband to experience what our other guests have experience and enjoyed.

Thank you again for selecting the Napa Valley Wine Trolley Tour. Please know that your comments have not gone on deaf ears. Additionally, we take our customers very seriously and will take steps to correct this unfortunate experience.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I would both agree the highlight of our Northern California trip was taking the WIne Trolley on December 19th. Our tour guide, Ben, not only let us take our time at the wineries, informed us with Napa factoids, and was also very courteous/attentive. He was great!
Since our trip was so close to Christmas, we actually had the trolley to our selves on our tour date. We stoped at 4 wineries - Monticello and Bell were our favorites! Each winery we stopped at were already prepared for us to arrive. We greatly enjoyed the organization and detailed tours at each winery we stopped at. The only cost not included is the wine fees and obviously the wine itself.
Also, the lunch stop at Napa Style was extra special. The head chef and staff were prepared for us to arrive. Our table had a "reserved" sign on it in addition with a menu and drinks all ready for us. Service and food at Napa Style was A+!
I would recommend the Wine Trolley for anyone visiting Napa - worth well more than $99 a ticket! My husband and I plan to visit again in the fall.

1  Thank JCollier2013
See more reviews
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was my first time to Napa and a wine tour was a must, obviously! After some research with different types of tours, we decided that the trolley tour was for us. We LOVE being outside any chance we get. We went right after Thanksgiving so our trolley was all decorated for Christmas (which was fabulous for taking pictures). We also lucked out with the weather. It was about 67 degrees and very sunny. The trolley was a bit breezy, but so worth it when you can feel the nice Napa valley air. Don't be afraid to bring a hair tie (ladies), a light jacket, and maybe a scarf. The trolley also had a shut part in the back so you could store your wine purchases and belongings in their when you went into the vineyards. The absolute best part of our tour was our "Trolley Conductor," BEN. He was the best tour guide! Full of jokes and laughs. I don't know if you can request conductors, but if you can, you should request for him! I highly recommend this tour. Every winery we saw was unique in its own way, which was another positive. Truly a GREAT time!

1  Thank Laura B