“Not even close to Ruths Chris - Except for the prices”
Review of Cole's Chop House

Cole's Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Cole's Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 286 Restaurants in Napa
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pearl St
Lexington, South Carolina
“Not even close to Ruths Chris - Except for the prices”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Great wine list, very mediocre food. We found all of Napa to be insanely priced with mediocre everything else. The locals around Napa all love Coles Chop House, but apparently they do not get out much. Cole's only has two (2) USDA Prime steaks on the menu. One is a NY Strip (which I never order) and the other is the Porterhouse for $69 (too much food, too much money, and it has NY Strip!). If you like a USDA Prime Ribeye or Filet (Like Ruths Chris has) then go to RuthsChris. My rare ribeye was served medium and my wife's filet was tiny (appeared way less than 10 Oz) and had Outback-looking Prairie Dust stuff on it...ON A FILET? Awww...come on!

Jim the sommelier (he prefers "wine guy") was very nice and helped us match our off-list wine preferences (BV 'sCharles de Latour Reserve) with a nice Neal Family Cab $80...a nice cab too!

Still, the steaks were mediocre at best. Flat in flavor, not so tender and NOT USDA Prime. Our waiter (Big young guy named Tony) insisted on taking a closer look at my ribeye to prove to himself that it really was double-overcooked to medium. In the dim light of the patio he had to move my plate around to get enough light to see for himself. This made my wife roll her eyes...as if perhaps I am liar?

It is a shame that these steaks are not all USDA Prime. The filet and the ribeye were both just overprices steaks - no better than Outback- $35 and $30 each ala carte.

The sides were OK. It is hard to wreck mashed potatoes. The creamed spinach needed a surprising amount of salt too give it any flavor at all. Visible and plentiful chunks of garlic in the spinach still did not provide any flavor. We were surprised to see the garlic cloves too.

The atmosphere and wine were excellent - but the patio can get chilly even in July! Ladies should bring a sweater.

You should know that all of Napa is severely overpriced, but we knew that in advance. There are no bargains anywhere...BUT, the best steakhouse is town was a disappointment. We went there for great steaks. I can get good wine and nice atmosphere almost ANYWHERE in Napa. We expected great food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
“Nice Meal”
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Good decor, typical top of the line new American steak house. Women wore dresses and men dressed preppy. My husband liked his $35 dollar steak. I had the brie appetizer which i though was only ok, next time I would order the Cesar salad which looked great. I had the baked potato which was huge and mushroom side. I am almost 100% sure the mushrooms were not fresh, I think they were canned. The sauce they were cooked in was very good, but there is no excuse for serving canned vegables at an highend resturant.

NJ
“Top Notch”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I celebrated my birthday at Coles last night, as I did in 2006. Being a registered dietitian, and having > 25 years experience in the foodservice industry, I can be pretty picky when it comes to my dining experience. Everything was sublime from the arugala and roasted corn salad, to the grass fed 21 day aged ribeye (cooked perfectly as ordered), to the sauteed spinach, and the pinot noir. The service was fantastic. There is a beautiful outdoor patio, a nice bar, and it is located on Main Street in downtown Napa, so you can walk if you are staying in the downtown area.

Juneau, Alaska
“I would go back”
Reviewed April 19, 2009

This is not my favorite steakhouse among those I've gone to, but some in our party said it was the best steak they had eaten. Some pretty stiff rules about reservation cancellation, and an astonishing $25 per bottle corkage fee. Particularly since many of the wineries say the price has gone down for that given the recesssion and the desire to attract people to higher end restaurants. Our service was very good, but a bit "cold" in my opinion. Also I thought we were encouraged to buy too many sides for the size of our party. Anyway, the steaks really were great. I'm afraid this meal was at the end of a total wining/dining trip and I might have been a bit "full" by the time we got here, but it is a very nice atmosphere, excellent food, and accomplished service. I'd go back and try it again, but I'd go hungrier. I didn't think the price was that bad, but then again we didn't buy any wine. So $600 for 8 people wasn't too bad - add wine and it would've been quite a bit pricier.

1 Thank Akgambler
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Having eaten steaks all...”
Reviewed February 14, 2009

Having eaten steaks all over the world, I find the very best of all is in my home town. GMost flavorful, perfectly grilled,top atmosphere, 5* wines and many single malts. What else can a meatlover ask for.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook