“Our first stop in Napa.”
Review of The Pear 'a Southern bistro' - CLOSED

The Pear 'a Southern bistro'
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd Street
Corona, California
“Our first stop in Napa.”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We were starving when we finally arrived at The Pear for lunch. The food, service and wine recommendations made our first stop of the four-day-trip! We were very happy with this restaurant which offers table indoors or out. We'll return here for sure.

Visited August 2014

Northern Califonia
“Not What It Should Be”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Its location is great--on the Napa River. The outdoor patio is great in good weather. The interior is quite nice. The food does not match. It isn't bad, but it underperforms. The dishes sound nice and have intriguing combinations, but the quality and execution just don't make it. The service is a bit slow and insufficiently attentive and friendly. The wine list is limited under any circumstances, but for Napa it is positively anemic--especially for wines by the glass. There are better choices a few steps away. They need to up their game.

1 Thank FCT3
Davis, California
“I so wanted to like it...”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Went to The Pear for dinner last night (Friday) with my husband. The atmosphere is casual and there was jazzy singer by the tables outside on the riverside... very nice! This is why I give this place 3 stars, since the rest of our experience was rather mediocre. The waitresses acted stuck up and the service was very slow. I ordered shrimp wrapped in bacon served on cheddar grits (had to skip the gravy because of gluten issues). My dish tasted ok despite the bacon being unevenly cooked. My husband ordered bourbon ribs with collard greens and mac & cheese. The ribs were saucy on the outside but dry on the inside, and the mac & cheese side was runny. Hope our next visit to The Pear will be more successful, although with so many other places around to choose from, it will probably not be very soon.

1 Thank Maria T
Warrenton, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible experience... DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Our waiter was wonderful. That's it. I felt sorry for him. After a 40 min wait (no problem at all) we were informed that 6 dinner menu items were not available. No problem, not what we wanted anyway. Bottle of wine, placed order, and 10 min later were advised one of our dishes was also not available. Reordered. Still going OK. One dish ( a New Orleans Gumbo) arrives when meals were served, and the rice was uncooked (raw) under the sloggy looking gumbo with NO pieces of food in the sauce. The waiter profusely apologized, and takes dish back to kitchen. He returns minutes later to inform us that there is no more rice. REALLY, no joke I swear. So he offers to have jumbo prawns added to the dish, with no rice. OK... not really happy about this, but we were nice. Meal comes out after about 15 minutes, the remainder of the table has shared food, and finished eating. The jumbo prawns in the newly delivered dish are wrapped in raw bacon. We immediately got waiter, who was embarrassed and appropriately not happy, and he tells us the head chef is not there tonight - he has obviously had a tough night too. So WHAT DID THE RESTAURANT DO? They brought my son, who was treating us to this "lovely" meal a piece of flourless chocolate torte - at no cost - and proceeded to tell us they would comp the meal that was never served properly. Seriously! So we didn't have to pay for a meal that was never served. This was the most ridiculous customer service I have ever seen in a quality restaurant. If THE PEAR would like for me to stop posting this terrible review, I suggest they respond to this and make reparations to my son, just out of college, trying to treat his family to a really nice dinner. I did not want to make matters worse for my son, or I would have addressed the manager on duty at the time.

1 Thank JoyceHL
Kirkland, Washington
“View of the river and fried pickles - what else to ask”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Lunch was super friendly and everything was tremendous. Mussels were satisfactory, but everything else was above the top. Taters were amazing and HUGE! I always love a spot that serves brunch and lunch at the same time, so everyone is happy.