“Beautiful ambiance, excellent menu & service, with good food short of outstanding”

Bistro Don Giovanni
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Don Giovanni is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 286 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 29
Fortson, GA
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I had a 2-hour business lunch here with 4 business associates on Friday 12/6. The restaurant is beautiful. We were in a circular booth in a corner of the restaurant that perfectly suited our group. Although a bit noisy when the restaurant became crowded, we could still speak normally across a fairly large table. All of the plates, glasses, cutlery, & serving dishes were elegant. Our server, Alberto, was very courteous, helpful, & attentive - good job!

With ambiance, service, & prices so high-end, I was a bit disappointed that an excellent menu suffered a bit in its execution. We shared an excellent bottle of Gary Farrell Pinot Noir & 2 appetizers: carpaccio (OK) and calamari (ordinary). My ravioli with herbs was good, but short of outstanding. The other 4 folks all enjoyed their entrees, but no one raved.

By comparison, I enjoyed Don Giovanni's more than Mustards Grill, about as much as Oenotri, but not as much as Bistro Jeanty.

• Korean first
Union City
“Napa getaway”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Pizza was good, but the ravioli was to die for! The fettuccini with duck was good, but the duck was ground, so it really could have been any meat.

Visited December 2013
Kirkland, WA
“Treated Like Princesses!!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I went here with my two sisters and two nieces and we were totally pampered and taken care of. The food was so amazing, service outstanding, desserts to die for....a great time all around. I have passed by here many times and did not know what I was missing each time I have gone to Napa. I wont pass by again. Thanks for taking sure great care of us and my sometimes "wild" twin nieces who are 9. We will be back!

Berkeley, California
“Dependable And Good”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We had a late lunch here on a Saturday. One of the good things about this long time successful restaurant in the heart of the wine country is that it serves continuously from lunch through dinner so that if you've had a late breakfast, or simply lose track of the time, you can still have a late, leisurely lunch.

They were not serving on the patio (too cold, even though they have heat lamps - and you should know that dogs are welcome on the patio), but the comfortable light filled restaurant with tables spaced decently apart was very pleasant.

I had a very good frito misto to start followed by the ravioli with two different sauces, half and half. My wife had the pork chop, and our friends had the chicken and a hamburger. The main dishes (pork chop and chicken) are a lot of food for lunch. We also had the Caesar Salad, beet salad, and brussel sprouts, all very well prepared.

The owner greeted us at the door, and took us to the table. The wait service was professional and timely.

The only disappointment is that the butterscotch pudding had so much alcohol in it that you couldn't taste the butterscotch.

I noticed that there are some recent critical reviews. My thought is that every once in awhile any restaurant is going to have a waiter who is having a bad day, or a dish that is off, but in our experience over the decades dining at this restaurant, these are the occasional exception. As to "romantic", this is a wine country casual restaurant, with very good food, and a good selection of wines. Enjoy it for what it is.

Pasadena, California
“Mediocre”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We ate here one night during our week-long stay at La Residence Inn, as the restaurant is right at the end of the driveway to the hotel. There was nothing terrible about it, but nothing great either. We shared the Fritto Misto appetizer (it was okay, but the calamari was a bit rubbery) and I had the Gargenelli (not horrible but bland) while my husband had the Ravioli (good but not great). They also served my chardonnay much too cold, which was disappointing. I also felt like the server was a little rushed and was ready to get us in and out quickly. Wasn't horrible, but with all the restaurant options in Napa Valley, I wouldn't go back.

Visited November 2013