“Great Italian in Napa, Bad Service”

Bistro Don Giovanni
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Don Giovanni is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 289 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 29
Reviewed November 16, 2007

We ate dinner here last week, went on a Sunday night around 8:30, so it wasn't too busy. But there is 1 reason I didnt rate it a 5. Our server was MIA. We were seated right away, and our server was not doing anything at the time(of course, we didn't know she was our server yet). But then a few minutes after we sat down, she attends to this huge 10-top table (she could have at least greeted us before then and took our drink order). We waited at least 10 minutes before someone (not our server)noticed us an took our order. I used to be a server and this shouldn't have happened.

But on to the food...It was really great (they also have a very extensive wine list)! I had a Caesar salad and Silk Hankercheifs (which came in a delicious Gorgonzola Sauce). But definitely the best part was dessert, the Bosconi Trifle. You have to get it! It was layered in a parfait glass, every bite is different and SO good! This was also are least expensive dinner in Napa. I would definitely come back again.

2  Thank natalie2040
There are newer reviews for Bistro Don Giovanni

Reviewed October 23, 2007

Dinner at Don Giovanni was fantastic, the salmon was scrumptous with buttermilk mashed potatoes, all their food is terrific. Great location and lovely setting. Good service, fruit drinks were a treat, the best is the Bostini dessert. A combination of delicious custard, whipped cream, dark bittersweet chewy chocolate, caramel and almonds, so yummy! We ate there three times in one week. Can't wait to return, ate there three and five years ago also, it has remained constantly great!

1  Thank DaisyLuv
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Have been going here for about the last 12 years. Never have had a bad meal but, have had some slow service at times, especially at dinner time. The noise level inside can be loud but, there are a lot of locals dining here and business persons so it can get loud but, isn't that's part of the experience? Anyway, great grounds which have to be seen and eat outside on a warm sunny day and forget about the traffic going by because there are other restaurants in area that have same problem if close to hwy. This isn't a truck stop or server of ordinary food just a great restaurant that has to be enjoyed if in area!

1  Thank anon00000000009
Reviewed October 1, 2007

I was so looking forward to eating here. The staff was very stiff and not friendly. They sure didnt make you feel special at all. I asked for a substitution and of course was told there can be no substitutions which is ok but I think they could be a little more flexible. It was noisy. The food was good but not fantastic and the prices were high. I would not recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed July 25, 2007

My wife and I enjoyed friendly, attentive and efficient service, as well as tasty, quality food during a recent dinner here. Both our primary plates were quite flavorful and filling, despite being somewhat simple: she had ravioli in a lemon cream sauce, and I had the thin-crust pizza. Delicious. Our reservations were honored even though we showed up a little early, and we were promptly seated in the reasonably attractive outdoor patio area. The location was fairly convenient to the more-southern wineries and lodgings; we dropped in after the Del Dotto tour on our way back to Napa city. Clean restrooms, reasonable prices.