“I can't believe what others are saying!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #130 of 185 things to do in Napa
White Rock, Canada
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“I can't believe what others are saying!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We had such a good time. Good wine and extremely well priced..bought the Three Pear white and the 60 North red. John was a riot....an empassioned discussion about hockey :) and...we learned some very interesting information about the impact of different oak barrels etc.

Thank you!

Allentown, Pennsylvania
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great wines poured by rude woman”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

When we first planned to visit Napa last year, I pictured a town full of pretentious wine snobs pouring wine and telling you how your palette is not sophisticated enough to sample their wines. What we found was that many different places would offer tastes with a smile, complement your dog's behavior, then offer to sell you a bottle. Except Mason Cellars.

We visited twice, two years in a row. Each time, a witchy woman talked about her husband and the painstaking work he does to pick the grapes and -- oh, can't you smell the citrus in the Blanc? Why not? The host's personality contrasts with the light colors that make up the place. A pleasant room with an unpleasant hostess.

All the same, we enjoy the whites there and brought a bottle home. It took a while to make the purchase as we had to wait out the lecture about how some wines label themselves Napa but are not. OK, we got the message.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank ontheroad24601
Panama Province, Panama
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Great white wines, honest wine educator”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stopped at Mason Cellars fifteen minutes prior to closing to use our Napa Tasting Card. We saw that Trish was putting away the wines and told her we would come back the next day. There was a bit of hesitancy, but then she stated she didn't have an appointment to get to, so she could pour us wines to taste. She told us she didn't understand why the winery was on the tasting card (one of twelve boutiques), because Mason Cellars offers complimentary tastings. Yes, she seemed a bit "gruff" in the beginning. Yes, we did catch her off guard so close to closing (but in our defense, she wasn't closed yet), but once we listened to her explain the wines, discuss shipping and once she told us that we could find the wines in our states (but if not, she would have them shipped when not so hot in our territory), we warmed up to her. We appreciated her honesty, and we went back two days later to discuss shipping wines to us. This is when she recommended we see what we can find once home, and if we can't find our favorite Three Pears, we were to call her and she would ship bottles to us. The three red lovers in my group loved three out of four of the white wines. The white wines are delicious, and Trish is very knowledgable and candid.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank AlliTC
california
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“We Walked Out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was a bit uneasy when we noted that the tasting room was empty but my husband wanted to find a few places to taste that were within walking distance of the Westin. So, in we went. As neither my husband nor I had ever heard of Mason, he asked which wines were featured at this studio. The woman bristled and set my husband straight stating in the most bluntly rude manner that only one winery, mason Cellars was featured, "Thus the name!" and sighed in exasperation. Feeling abused, I suggested we go as only whites are poured and we favor reds. The woman, growing more unresevered in nature by the moment, now lashed into me almost shouting, "It's free wine! Do I have to twist your arm?" I was not most alarmed and ready to bolt for the door. Instead of placing glasses before us, she demanded to know where we reside. I demered offering the vague "To the North." not wishing to set off this beast. Alas, that is exactly what I did. She turned red ranting "Where? I asked WHERE!" I grabbed my husband and made all haste to get away from her! While I can not comment on the wines, their choice of personnel is ghastly! STAY AWAY IF YOU VALUE YOUR SAFETY!

Visited December 2012