“Not perfect but almost”

Description: 707-226-1378
Napa, California
“Not perfect but almost”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Dan and crew do a good job especially on their wine tasting menus.

My wife and I have done so many tastings here we've lost count. You can find good value wines from around the world in this shop.

• Visited May 2012

Seminole, Florida
“Some great wines and good casual atmosphere”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were able to do a great wine flight, bring the dog and have a cheese plate that went really well with the wines we selected. We found a great pinot grigio that was really good.

Visited November 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best of the Best!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I visited Napa Valley in hopes of finding some small "cult" wines to bring back as gifts and for our own enjoyment. We had visited the area 3 times previously and, after going from winery to winery to tasting room, we had never found anything that was reasonably priced and wowed us. That was before we found Back Room Wines. The owners have relationships with tiny producers (100 - 200 cases made), so sometimes their shop is the only place you can discover these finds. And finds they are...We happened upon the shop near the beginning of our vacation and told the owners what sort of wines we usually go for plus our price range ($40 - $55). They came up with several recommendations. We purchased these, tasted them during our trip, and were delighted to find that we absolutely LOVED 2 of them. We went back and purchased 18 bottles before the end of our vacation and left CA with our treasures in hand. My only complaint is I only wish I had found Back Room Wines on previous trips to wine country:)

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank natasha137
Alamo, California
“Check Out Back Room Wines: Great Wine Shop in Downtown Napa”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Well, if you find yourself in Napa, you're looking for wine, right? If so, there is no better place to taste and buy than Back Room Wines in downtown Napa. It's right on the corner of Main and First Street. It's filled with an amazing selection--not just California wines, as expected, but also delicious and unusual wines from around the world that you may never have heard of, yet manage to be the best in their class. The owner Dan Dawson is very knowledgeable and helpful, yet delightfully un-pushy. He really knows his stuff, and is a genius at pairing food and wine. He is also a genius at figuring out exactly what you will like, even if your wine vocabulary is limited. He offers exceptional wines at all price points. Take home a case: you will not be disappointed!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank CharlaG29074
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a wonderful place”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My wife and I went to Napa in February. On the way in to our accommodations downtown we passed by a wine shop and I told my wife that it was one that I wanted to walk to if we had time. When we were scouting out the area, I happened to get my wish, and my wife and I walked in to find a true Napa gem. We met Daniel, and discussed wine options. We wanted a nice bottle on our first night, there - selected it and left. Well, needless to say we didn't ever get around to drinking the bottle until we got home (and it was amazingly good). Thankfully, Daniel informed me (after we arrived back home) that he offered a wine club and would "custom make" a case to our parameters. I have never placed as much faith in one person to make decisions for ME about wine but I thought I'd give it a try for 2 cases and just see what this guy was made of. The two cases we received were full of world class, single vineyard, hard to find / low production varietals that were all perfect. We have been exposed to over two dozen wines wines that we would have otherwise never known about (Kamen, Sojourn, Maldonado, Hudson, Janzen, ViceVersa) just to name a few. Every wine we have opened with a Back Room Wines sticker on the bottle has been a home run. We couldn't be happier with everything.

• Visited February 2012