“Fabulous, intimate tour with even more fabulous wine for tatsing”
Review of Truchard Vineyards

Truchard Vineyards
Ranked #83 of 192 things to do in Napa
Reviewed August 14, 2013

An incredible secret for the entire wine country in California. Make a reservation and show up. It is a bit difficult to find but I will not tell anyone how to get there. I do not want this place to become a zoo. A beautiful pearl. I can't praise enough. Dan, our tour guide was an amazing person to talk to and it was just 5 of us plus him for the one tour they were giving that day.

We started with their Roussanne and all 5 of us just looked at each other before saying "Wow" at the same time. Mind you, we were 3 in our group. Before that day we did not know the other couple. It was an exceptional wine in every possible way. Different taste, unexpected, fantastic aroma and it is a grape I have never heard of. We walked outside the tasting room and saw a small portion of their beautiful ground, heard the resident donkey, saw the bee tree and I kept on picking grapes, wild black berries, pears and popping these in my mouth. Yes I shared with everyone. Then it was time to go to the cave where we tasted more wonderful wine like their Pinot, Cab and an amazing Tempranillo. The label is a painting that you can see while being outside in front of one of the ponds. Dan is a good story teller. The history of this place is special and so are the wines. They sell 75% of their grapes and use the top 25% for making their own wine. Only the best qualify. Barrel tatting of the Zin was superb. Too bad that we will be out of the country basically for rest of the year but in October we are in the country for about 10 days. I am going back.

Did I say Dan waived the tasting fee because we bought a few bottles?

There are newer reviews for Truchard Vineyards

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We're lucky enough to be able to get Truchard's Chardonnay where we live (Austin, TX) and it's one of the only white wines that my husband will drink. So we had to add a visit to Truchard to our list of vineyards to see when we were in Napa.
This is a family-owned vineyard and it's located in Carneros which is off of the well-trod path and away from a lot of the crowds. Their grounds are lovely and are patrolled by very friendly cats which greeted us when we arrived.
You need to schedule an appointment and the tasting fee is $20 which includes several wines with generous pours and a tour around the facilities including the vineyards and their cave. The fee is refundable for every two bottles purchased (which I appreciate). We were given the tour by Linda who really took the time to answer our questions and explain how Truchard works. Things were kind of exciting when we were there because they were about to start bottling and it was neat to be able to see some of the prep that went into it.
Their wines are great - it's not often that we like more than one or two varietals from a vineyard, but we liked almost everything we tried of theirs. We ended up buying several bottles of their Roussane and are getting some of the Syrah shipped to us.
Highly recommended.

1  Thank Lara M
Reviewed April 11, 2013

A little off the beaten path in Carneros, you could easily drive by Truchard and miss it.

Must schedule an appointment, but not on Sunday when they're closed.

Tour takes about an hour or so. You'll walk the property, check out the caves, all while tasting generous pours of delicious wine.

They honor Napa neighbors if you're a local. Regardless, worth the tasting fee.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Great wines. Small, fun tour of the property. The tour guide was very personable and knowledgable. Great caves. Bought several bottles of wine here. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a great small family operated winery in Napa that should make it on everybody's list. The people here couldn't be more welcoming and the place is beautiful......oh yeah.......and they have great wine.