“The "icing" on the cake in wineries!”

Michael Mondavi Family Estate
Ranked #95 of 186 things to do in Napa
San Ramon
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“The "icing" on the cake in wineries!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This most charming winery is tucked away off Dealy Road and is a gem on the border of Napa/Sonoma (not to be confused with the conglomerate/corporate BIG Mondavi winery off highway 29 further up Napa) Michael has taken a small piece of land and built a beautiful winery with both a front and back porch - the latter placing you right in the vineyard! ALL of his wines show me that he has grown up learning the best of his families winemaking business. His wines are crisp and wonderful in every respect...I don't think the guy would HOW to make a 'bad' wine!!! (lol!) Patti was tending the wine bar the day I was there and is a wonderful representation of his efforts. She was very informative; very friendly and a sheer delight to have a conversation with. As I said, walking out that back patio is utterly breathtaking and should not be missed. HE HAS IT ALL WITHOUT THE OVERDONE COMMERICALISM OF MANY WINERIES THESE DAYS. I travel from SD on up to Mendocino regularly exploring different wineries, and I can honestly state this is one I am so very glad I didn't miss, that is actually very close to home. Michael Mondavi has done a fine, fine job of keeping the spirit of his family name alive by producing some of the best wines I have ever tasted here in California...You GO Michael!!! I'll be back again, I sooooooooooooo promise!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank MsBunny2011

Boca Raton, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Inspired little vineyard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Had the opportunity to do a tasting with Michael Moldavia on his back porch of the vineyard with 9 girlfriends on a Wednesday afternoon. Michael was incredibly gracious inviting us into his family vineyard and sharing his passion for winemaking. We experienced not only his California wines but also his comrades wines from Europe, Chile and Argentina as he has formed an alliance with other small family oriented winemakers of the world. In his collection, there is a wine for everyone but the great takeaway here was the passion for wine and living that comes through everywhere at Mondavis

Visited February 2012
Ahwahnee, California, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Best wine club”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stopped in here expecting the usual tasting and found such a great variety of wines and labels that we walked away with a wine club subscription.

Visited January 2013
Los Alamitos, California
3 attraction reviews
“Tasting at Michael Mondavi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The wine servers were very personable and knowledgable. We loved all their lables Spellbound, Oberon, Isabella . Our favorite was a Spellbound petite sirah. Very relaxing tasting room and porch! Beautiful vineyard colors in November.

Visited November 2012
Moreno Valley, California
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great place, great wines!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Came right at closing time. They didn't turn us away. Very friendly. Ask for Joey. All of their wines were really good. Loved the grounds. Joined their wine club. I'm going back.

Visited November 2012