“Fantastic Bed and Breakfast!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Inn On First

The Inn On First
Ranked #2 of 23 Napa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“Fantastic Bed and Breakfast!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Wow! Best Bed and Breakfast in Napa, bar none!!!! Jim and Jamie were both excellent at what they do. They both were welcoming and helped without asking. Jim was an awesome chef and his meals every morning were creative and tasty!!!!! Every morning I looked forward to what Jim would be making! Jamie was always available and was a wealth of knowledge. The B&B was comfortable, clean, and location was perfect! Don't look any further when deciding on a B&B, you will not find another comparable!!!
Thanks Jim and Jamie for a memorable experience!!! Bob and Audrey

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
tiofinnkeeper, Owner at The Inn On First, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear audreyew: Thanks for sharing your stay at our inn with the tripadvisor community. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay, the meals, and I'm glad I could be of service in planning your itinerary. Honestly, it's the favorite aspect of our "job", which we both see more a labor of love. When will you return so we can share more of our Napa experience with you? We appreciate you taking the time to post your review, we value each and every one. Jamie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

When I started scouting hotels for our honeymoon in Napa, I decided on a ritzy inn on the Silverado Trail...but then a friend told me about the Inn on First. After researching the hotel online, I told my now-husband that I wanted to change our reservations and spend our last three nights in Napa at the Inn on First instead. When he asked why, I told him that everything I had read made the place sound amazing. I also confessed that I'd read so much about Jim and Jamie and how wonderful they are that I felt like I knew them already!

We arrived at the Inn around 2:45 and were immediately greeted by Jamie, who offered us some cookies and port, gave us a tour of the property, and asked us if we had dinner reservations that night...which we did not. Despite it being Saturday, Jamie was able to secure us reservations at Carpe Diem for 9 pm. Later that afternoon we met Jim and their three miniature schnauzers. Jim was so gracious and welcoming, it was like talking to an old friend.

Our room was spacious and lovely, with a complimentary split of champagne and a spa tub. But of course the real treat here is Jim's inventive and delicious breakfast. Our first morning, we had an egg sitting atop a delicious house-made ravioli with herbed cheese filling; the second morning brought us the most amazing macaroni and cheese dish (no, I'd never eaten mac and cheese for breakfast, but yes, now I want it EVERY morning!). Jamie also took time to recommend some wonderful off-the-beaten-path wineries for us to visit, many of which turned out to be some of our favorites during our whole time in Napa. Our third morning, we had to leave early to make our flight, but Jim prepared us a wonderful to-go bag filled with fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, and house-made tortillas filled with scrambled eggs and green onions. We'd forgotten that we told them 8:30 and actually showed up a little early, but Jim and Jamie didn't flinch, and made sure we had everything ready to go as soon as possible.

Our only regret is that we didn't stay at the Inn on First for our entire seven days in Napa. This is an amazing property and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JupiterKLP: Thanks so much for posting your review, we appreciate each and every one! Obviously we're thrilled you enjoyed the room, the amenities, the concierge service, the breakfast, all of it! This is very affirming, and we are grateful for the feedback. We ask many questions of our guests both prior to arrival and when they arrive in an effort to ensure they have a wonderful experience. We're so happy you had a great time, and we look forward to seeing you in the future. Thanks again, Jamie.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have traveled all over the world - and I have yet to find a property/experience that can top the one that we had with The Inn on First!!!

When it comes to interaction with your guests before they have even stepped foot on the property - Jamie is the very best!!!!!!! I can't say enough about all of the help that he gave me in planning a trip for six from the connection to limo company - to the suggestions on some incredible restaurants - to suggestions on awesome wineries/vineyards to visit - along with anything else that I needed answered!! Once I came up with the itinerary that I wanted to follow - he made all of the calls to set up any of the reservations that were needed - an invaluable service indeed!!!! And each of the suggestions beginning with lunch at Gott's on Wednesday after we landed to the 'educational tour' at Mondavi to give our group a great background how wineries go about their business - to an awesome meal at Carpe Diem (DON'T miss out on visiting this one!!!!) - and so on and so on - they were all hits out of the ballpark indeed!!!

Once we arrived - we were greeted by Jim and made to feel as if we were truly at home. A simple tour of the main house was given - followed up with a more detailed tour of our rooms out back in the carriage house - all the while answering any questions that we had about anything and displaying hospitality at its finest!

Then came breakfast - if you have a food allergy or particular desire/liking - not a problem, it's covered for you. If you like your eggs scrambled versus over easy - not a problem, it's covered for you. No was detail is left for the wondering as the brief questionnaire that was sent in the initial email after booking regarding all likes/dislikes/allergies/etc helps to alleviate any concerns. Then you get to the fact that the food is all made from scratch and PHENOMENAL seems likes a word that isn't strong enough to describe each meal that we had.

And I can' believe that I have made it this far in the review and haven't mentioned the chocolate chip cookies!! :-) Always replenished and warm - whether it be when we came back after a long day of wine tasting - or especially delightful coupled with a glass of port that is left out for each guest to enjoy in the main sitting room after walking home after an awesome meal in downtown Napa. A special treat that is quite simple - yet definitely gives you the feeling that they truly care about you and making your stay as close to home as they can.

The last thing that I need to mention - is about the genuine and good hearted nature of Jamie and Jim - as they sat down with all of us after breakfast on our last morning at the table, shared a cup of coffee with us and openly shared anything we wanted to know about them and their whole experience at becoming innkeepers at it's very best. Again, an invaluable quality that just adds to the whole experience that we had in 'being at home.'

Bottom line here -- is that we are all now ruined for any other property that we visit as we travel to any other destination. We will always compare it to our visit with Jamie and Jim - a first class operation for sure!!!! Don't take the time to compare them with other B&B's in the area (trust me - I did hours of research prior to choosing - and feel foolish for wasting the time) -- make your reservations at IOF and enjoy every minute of your experience from the moment you hit return on your keyboard!!!

A huge Thank You again guys --- we can't wait to come back and visit!!!!!!

Jim, Whitney, Joe, Steph, Russ & Joanne

Room Tip: Check out the rooms in the carriage house out back --- all wonderful indeed!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
tiofinnkeeper, Owner at The Inn On First, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Jim W: We can't thank you enough for your very generous review of our inn. We enjoyed all of you very much, and you really made it easy for us to be successful because we worked together in advance of your arrival. When you returned every day it was obvious everyone was enjoying themselves, and that's what it is all about! We very much look forward to having you all here in the future. Thanks again, the pleasure was ours. Jamie
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We made a reservation at The Inn on First based on all the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor and wow, they didn't lie! This place was amazing in every way. Jamie and Jim were very welcoming, the food was A-mazing, and the location was wonderful - walking distance to downtown. We booked a limo to take us to vineyards and Jamie provided a great itinerary. The wines were great at each location and the staff really knew what they were talking about. Jamie definitely knows wine! I wouldn't hesitate to return to The Inn on First or recommend it to friends. It's a top-notch establishment!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
tiofinnkeeper, Owner at The Inn On First, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Dougger1977: We've learned a thing or one thousand since becoming innkeepers in 2007. One thing we know for sure is that so many honeymooners do not have the time to do any advance planning of their time here in Napa, and that's where we come in! No winery ideas? We can do that! Restaurants? We can do that too! We're glad your "short" honeymoon was a good honeymoon, thanks for spending it here, and thank you very much for posting your review. Jamie
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I recently enjoyed our 1 year anniversary at the Inn on First. Hands down, this place is amazing. Before we booked our stay here, we did pretty extensive research on a good place to stay. To say the least, the Inn on First has quite a presence with quality reviews. And they don't dissapoint. This was my first time to Napa, so I didn't really know where I wanted to go once I got there. Jamie basically planned our entire trip. He is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge on what wineries will best suite what you as an individual are looking for. He set dinner reservations, tour/winery reservations, limo accomadations, ect... Secondly, another factor that cannot be overlooked is the breakfeast that is included with the stay. Jim is an artist with his breakfeast creations. Every morning I was looking forward to see what Jim was going to make! Jim and Jamie are great, I will definitely be back and will recommend anyone going to napa/sonoma to go and stay at the Inn on First.
Thanks Jim and Jamie

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RVR6405: Let's get one thing straight: I am no walking encyclopedia! Sure, we've got some experience in this wonderful place called Napa Valley, but we ask a lot of questions of our guests. That's how we determine where we send them... no cookie cutter option for every guest. We want to make it personal... it's the only way to go! We're so happy you had a good time, and Jim does double-duty as concierge and chef... how does he do it? Thanks for posting your review... we can't thank you enough for taking the time. Jamie
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at many B&Bs in Napa and Sonoma -- and although the prices were always high, the quality and experience wasn't. We finally found a great place at TIOF. Jamie and Jim have a beautiful property and have truly figured out that the best way to ensure success is to treat your guests like they are family. Additionally, my brother (who is in a wheelchair) and his wife joined us on this trip. He found a place in the accessible room at TIOF that truly met, and actually exceeded, all of the requirements for ADA. So, in addition to the great breakfasts and the wonderful hospitality of the owners, my brother got to enjoy a beautiful and comfortable room, just like everyone else. That alone would have made it worthwhile to stay here.
The only glitch we experienced was that the Internet coverage in our garden suite was inconsistent. Normally this wouldn't matter when you are on vacation, but my husband had some work calls and computer needs for them. Other than that, everything was outstanding.

Room Tip: We were in garden suites; never saw one of the rooms in the mansion
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear rosemgab: We are so happy to know your brother enjoyed his stay as much as he did. We are fortunate to meet so many wonderful people as innkeepers, and the encouragement from guests who post reviews is invaluable. We're sorry about the internet connection, apparently we failed to make it known we have ethernet cables available in the room for those occasional instances where network and computer don't get along very well! Please accept our apologies, and thank you so much for posting your gracious review, we are grateful. Jamie
Voorschoten, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

For our honeymoon we traveled California. Napa was only a one day/night trip, but staying at 'The Inn on First' was amazing. The garden, the location, the food..... we enjoyed everything about staying at the inn and would love to visit again. Will def recommend The Inn on First to family and friends travelling to Napa! Thank you for everything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reinekek: We're thrilled you enjoyed your single night stay with us. You're right about our location, such a easy walk to all the great restaurants Napa has to offer. Thanks for recommending us to your family and friends, we appreciate it and the fact you took the time to post your review. Jamie