“Okay for weekday rates”

Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Napa
A TripAdvisor Member
“Okay for weekday rates”
Reviewed July 9, 2005

Didn't really get to experience the customer service. No problems checking in or out. The complimentary breakfast buffet was okay. It consist of coffee, juices, variety of pastries, salami, scrambled eggs and cereal. They were slow to refill the food.

I think the hotel went cheap on the building material, I could hear the vacuum in the morning... can't figure out if it was from upstairs from the room or the next door. I could hear children jumping upstairs and people talking next door.

the "jacuzzi" tub is a regular size tub w/jets.... the room we had is the deluxe river view room... no point in paying extra for the view since the hotel is surrounded by two poorly maintained empty land sites.

the bed wasn't comfy... it was too soft for me.
if you have the money to spend, I would probably go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Virginia
Reviewed July 4, 2005

We stayed at the River Terrace Inn from June 26 - July 2. After reading the reviews here, I was more than a little concerned that I'd made a poor hotel choice, but as it turned out, we were very pleased with our stay and would not hesitate to recommend it to family and friends.

The Inn is located in downtown Napa (sort of), within walking distance of the Napa Wine Train (but not much else). It's an easy 5-10 minute drive to get to Route 29, the main drag through the Valley from Napa to Calistoga.

Our check-in was smooth, friendly and efficient, from the bell staff to the front desk. In a matter of minutes, we were in our River Junior Suite, with a balcony and nice view of the Napa River. We spent many a late afternoon/evening sitting on the balcony and enjoying a glass of wine or cold beer. If possible, spring for the river front suites -- the alternative is to get a room with a view of the parking lot, and while the river view is hardly extraordinary, it certainly beats the alternative. The rooms are very nicely appointed. The beds are as comfortable as you're likely to find in a hotel and the bathroom is very nice (ours was equipped with a jacuzzi tub, which was a little small, but nice). I particularly got a kick out of the dual-headed shower. It was great!

Housekeeping was flawless and did a great job in our opinion -- our room was always cleaned and ready for us when we returned in the afternoon before dinner.

The morning breakfast buffet was perfect for us and the price was unbeatable (free). If you've had the buffet at a Comfort Suites or Residence Inn, it's comparable -- nothing special, but just fine to start the day. Fresh fruit, danish, bagels, toast, cereal, scrambled eggs and potatoes, etc. Much as been written about apathetic or poor service, but we certainly didn't experience that -- in fact, we found the opposite. During the early part of our stay, the mornings were quite chilly sitting outside for breakfast, and my wife, who doesn't drink coffee, asked a staffer if they had hot chocolate. He said "No, not normally, but he'd make her some using the espresso machine." And he did, and it was pretty darn good. When he saw her the next morning, he asked her if she'd like another. I guess a thank you and a smile goes a long way sometimes.

I don't think it's been mentioned elsewhere, but the pool, which is fairly small (and can get crowded in the afternoon) is heated, which was great given the very cool mornings and evenings in Napa.

There are too many terrific places to eat to mention them all, but some of our favorites included the Rutherford Grill, Wappa Taco in Calistoga (don't be fooled by the name of this little hole-in-the-wall spot -- we had a great lunch (tapas/Cuban sandwich) there), Taylor's Refresher in St. Helena (think 50's drive-in -- great burgers and shakes), and a picnic lunch at V. Sattui Winery.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the River Terrace very much, and hope you find this review helpful.

5 Thank MC54
Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2005

We stayed at this hotel June 10th-13th. This was our first trip to Napa and it was perfect!! When we arrived we checked in and were in our room with in minutes, the lobby is beautifully decorated and the terrace over looks the Napa river. Our room was spacious nice high ceilings and the bathroom was very nice and very clean! I was looking forward to the beds and we were not let down they are extremly comfortable. The location was perfect for us, we wanted something close to it all. We never drove more than 20-30 min and we went to about 6 vineyards. All in all this hotel was worth every penny. The people on here saying bad things must have went on there vactions thinking they were gonna be the only one's in this hotel. We have not one bad word to say and were in this industry.

3 Thank Actionjcksn5
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

The hotel seemed understaffed and not very friendly. There was not bottled water to be found in the pop machines or at the bar. The food was terrible including the breakfast. The location lacked any charm in the middle of the city. One did not feel comfortable taking a walk around the neighborhood. The jets in the 2-person tub did not work. I would not stay here again. The only positive thing I can say is the pillow-top beds were great.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, CA
Reviewed June 11, 2005

People-

Friendly receptionists. Very very helpful with directions and advice on activities. Too bad I can't recall the names because looking at other reviews of this hotel, they're not all this friendly.

Facilities-

The lobby is quite elegantly decorated. It gave a warm classy feeling. Definitely more inviting than most 3-stars I've been to (albeit not in the Napa area).

The room is comparable to 3-star Hilton's and other big name hotels I've stayed at but what I liked about this place was the very high ceiling. The room itself was a bit on the plain side though the choice of colors was pleasant imho.

Cleanliness, I'd rate it around 9. The "self-cleaning" whirlpool tub was great initially but became a disappointment because the moment we turned on the jets, little black specks came out of the spouts. The tub itself was quite clean though. Too bad the water wasnt!

Overall, I'd rate this a 3+ star hotel for the quality. I liked the place and would stay here again!

3 Thank eric r
New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2005

We loved this inn. It was a good location in Napa and the place was beautiful! It's a relatively new hotel. The Staff was very pleasant and friendly. The computer was down when we originally checked in, but they offered us each a complimentary glass of wine. Also, they give a free breakfast in the morning!

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank cinnabun1
Edinburg, TX
Reviewed May 27, 2005

I was a bit cautious booking this place because of the tales I had read about the minibar and the parking lot view. I made sure to book a river view and not to touch the minibar. As I was driving into the parking lot of the river terrace I really felt bad that some people had a view of the enormous parking lot. I suppose it would be fine if you're booking a room for your in-laws. Our stay was fun and enjoyable. From the outside the river terrace literally looks like a grey barn, but the inside is warm, inviting, clean and new. Checkin and checkout was a smooth process, the staff was friendly and always willing to help. Now let me get to the good part, the room. The river view room is spacious and nicely appointed. It's got a "luxury in the wine country" feel. The river is nothing to write home about, but the only better thing I could imagine would be if the room overlooked a nice hill-side vineyard. We went there to relax, and we certainly did. We left the balcony room door open when we were in the room because the air was so fresh and we loved to hear the birds chirping. The pillow-top bed was so comfy. We took advantage of the library of DVDs you could borrow free of charge. We used the jacuzzi tub two out of the three nights, it filled up quickly, hot water was aplenty, and the jets were powerful enough but not overpowering. We ordered massages from the "spa", the only option was for the masseuses to come to our room which was fine by us. It was a little cramped when the masseuses brought two full-size massage tables in. They had to rearrange furniture, but they put it back before they left. The location is a great place to start your wine adventure. We had a memorable time and we will definitely trust our stay with the River Terrace again.

• Stayed May 2005