“Classy, relaxing and serene”

Carneros Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Tampa
“Classy, relaxing and serene”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2007

Our stay at the Carneros Inn was absolutely fantastic. From check-in to check-out, everything was amazing. Room service rivaled the quality and service of a 5 star restaurant. Boon Fly cafe is great for breakfast or lunch (though, so is room service). Our cottage was serene, large, comfortable and relaxing. The fireplace, flat panel HD tv, (large!) private patios with heaters, enormous bathrooms and heated slate floors all contributed to making the cottage experience top class. At Carneros Inn, you have all the privacy of having rented your own cottage with all the amenities of a hotel and spa. I highly recommend the Carneros Inn and will stay here everything I visit wine country!

• Liked — The high quality of every aspect of my stay.
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank g8rlover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
grand blanc, mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

I and nine members of my family (all adults) celebrated a "special birthday" at the Inn. We all loved it. The separate cottages were lovely and lowkey. The bathrooms were awesome ( heated floor was great) and the hippier among us loved the outdoor shower. For the actual birthday dinner, we booked the private dining room @ The Farm and it was beautiful and the food was delicous. We were on an AmEx package and all of our breakfasts were included which was very nice. The view from the Hilltop Restaurant is amazing. The Hilltop pool was adults only and made for a very restful experience. We have spent a lot of time in Napa and the Carneros Inn is our favorite. We will be back.

• Liked — The separate cottages and the bathrooms.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank oreogb
Everywhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2007

This is a wonderful resort! It is set up with little "cottages" instead of rooms. It is very private and relaxing. Each cottage has its own front porch with mailbox for daily paper delivery and rocking chairs. The rooms have a sitting area with a plasma TV above a woodburning stove. The bed was SO comfortable! The bathroom was huge with a big shower with four shower heads and a soaking tub. They really like to tell you about the al fresco shower, which I guess is neat, but I personally did not use it. The bathroom also features a double vanity and heated slate floor.
The room has two sets of double french doors that can be opened to your own private patio/deck with charis, table and lounge chair. The deck has a heater.
The room is a nice, modern design with soothing colors and furniture with clean lines.
We only stayed one night and ate at the Boon Fly Cafe, which was pretty good.
This was a great resort! The pool looked amazing with a beautiful pool, but we did not have time to use it!

• Liked — How private and comfortable it was!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Pacifica, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2007

My parents gave us a present for our first wedding anniversary--a weekend at the Carneros Inn in Napa.

We had read all the reviews before we went and didn't understand the negative comments. My advice is to not book a hotel until you check it out on tripadvisor.com so you know what to expect!

Anyway, we arrived about forty-five minutes before check-in and our room was not ready. Everyone was very nice and we waited in the lobby drinking champagne and reading the newspaper. When our room was ready, an attendant on a golf cart escorted our car to our cabin. Inside, he showed us around the cabin and showed us where everything was and how it worked.

Within an hour, the hotel was bringing us complimentary wine for our first anniversary. We spent most of the day in our robes on the comfortable bed in front of the fire watching television. That night, we walked to the Boon Fly Cafe for dinner. The place was a lot smaller than it looked from the outside, but the food was good.

The next day, we called ahead and my husband walked to the Boon Fly Cafe to pick up breakfast--Boon Fly donuts and yummy fruit. We walked around the grounds that day. Even though it was cold, everything was beautiful and clear. I loved the glass "fire pit" near Farm. We had "cottage dining" for lunch outside underneath the heat lamp. It was expensive (an 18% service charge), but good--ahi tuna salad with butternut squash soup.

That night, we went to Farm for dinner. While the decor was beautiful, the food was just average. Since I don't eat meat, my food selection was limited, but I had a wonderful beet salad and homemade fettucine.

The next morning, we had more "cottage dining" for breakfast. This time, they set up a table inside. Both times we ordered room sercvice, the food came within twenty minutes and the attendants were very nice.

I would definitely recommend this place for a "get away" weekend. We would have liked to get massages, but their spa prices were too high for us. While we didn't pay for our room, I would definitely stay here again, but not pay full price. Is it worth $450 a night? Probably not. But if you have the money to spend, I would definitely recommend it for those looking for some R&R.

• Liked — Heated bathroom tiles, friendly staff, beautiful grounds, comfortable robes, dining options
  • Disliked — Room could have been a bit bigger
  • Tips/Secrets — Read reviews before you book so you know what to expect!!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PrincessFilbert
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

After reading most of the previous reviews, I had good understanding of what to expect. In short, the Carneros Inn is an excellent choice if you’re into hip, chic, modern and tranquility. However, if your taste is Victorian 19th century in the heart of the bustling plaza, this place is not for you. Some people complained about this inn being located too far from everything but what is everything? Don’t you come to Napa valley to experience vineyards, good food and wine tasting? Artesa is just around the corner and other popular wineries and restaurants are just a few minutes drive away. No matter where you stay, you’ll need to do some driving if you intend to visit the popular wineries. I think some people have to complain about everything. For me and my family, what we care most about top notch hotels are great service, quiet and attractive rooms, which Carneros inn delivered.

We were greeted at check-in with champagne, with very proficient and professional staff. Always smiling and greeting you by your last name. The concierge was exceptionally delightful to speak to and she was always looking to make my wife and my 8 year old son feel comfortable. There is an actual farm and winery across the reception lobby (minus the smell from the animals) with simple but attractive landscaping throughout.

Each cottage has modern décor without being too cold. Hardwood floors in the bedroom and heated tiles in the bathroom, with indoor 3 headed shower connected to the outdoor shower make this cottage a unique feel. The concept is similar to that of the Sanctuary in Scottsdale except they have a soaking tub outside instead of the outdoor shower. The heated patio deck is spacious but some will find the actual bedroom a little too small. Counter space is abundant but closet space is limited. The mattress is comfortable but the pillows need to be lower in my opinion. You can rent complimentary DVD from the reception and they have a good library.

You have to try their new restaurant, the Farm (reviewed separately) and also the Boon Fly Café (the donuts are delicious). All in all, it was a very pleasant stay and it would have been perfect if the pillows were more comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to all my chic loving friends and would come back the next time we visit the area.

• Liked — Service and bathroom
  • Disliked — Pillow
  • Tips/Secrets — special rates available during non-peak seasons
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank ttangbee
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2006

We just returned from our 4th trip to the Carneros Inn, and again, find it one of our favorite places to stay in the world. If you are looking for a private, relaxing, comfortable setting in a contemporary cottage setting with agrarian views- this is for you. If you are looking for a lively atmosphere with ample fraternizing with our wine country guests close to town- this is not. The concierge is top notch, and has repeatedly made fantastic suggestions and planned and booked our entire stay. We have never been disappointed with any of their suggestions. It is private and off the path of the other inns, but there is not a view that can compete with the veranda overlooking the vineyards beyond the hilltop pool. A good choice if you are looking to spend your days touring and tasting and your evenings in front of a cozy fire eating room service. The service and staff can't be beat!

• Liked — The concierge is the best in Napa!
  • Disliked — No place to store luggage in room
  • Tips/Secrets — Utilize the concierge to plan your wine country itinerary- tastings & reservations
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CatPaw7
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2006

I have to say, this is a nice resort spot but just too far from everything for our taste. (more on that later).

The trailer park concept with little cottages is very cute. When we checked in he said he would put us away from the construction and wow, were we glad. When you drive in your are very nervous but you get into the completed areas and it is very cute and feels very private. If I got put facing the construction and paid $350 a night I would lose my mind and check out, it is loud and they started work early.

Our cottage was nice, small, a little too narrow but very nice amenities, the shower (in and outdoor one) is great and the deck about doubles your square footage. Clean and comfortable beds.

The pool and view are super pretty and very serene. The little hilltop dining area is cute as can be and the breakfast was good.
We also ate at Boon Fly (okay breakfast, skip the pancakes) and had dinner at The Farm which just opened. The food was great there and the wine list is very reasonable at Farm. And driving anywhere is like 20-30 minutes so one night we also just ordered room service.

Location, hm, I did not feel like I was in Napa Valley. We like the wines up on the Silverado Trail a lot and really like starting up in Calistoga and driving down during the day. Going to dinner just in Yountville was a pain, like a 25 minute drive. We felt so out of the way and would not go back because of this. I guess if you are hopping between Napa and Sonoma it is okay but was not our taste to be down there that far.

I did not like the spa. It felt too sterile for me. Cement floors, white wood walls, just did not feel relaxing. My massage was okay, not great by any means.

There were a bunch of kids there which was surprising to me. I just don't see Napa as a place to bring your kids but they did not bother us too much. One day at the pool it was annoying and you could tell people were bothered by it.

It is a cute hotel and I would like it much more if it was up in Yountville but then it may cost even double if it was up there. Just make sure you know where you want to taste and drink and eat etc. before staying here.

The concierges were AMAZING and super helpful and everyone, even the guys who were doing construction were nice. Everyone there made our stay pleasant, we just chose the wrong area to stay in.

I hope this helps, email me if you have more question.

aebabcock@yahoo.com

• Liked — Nice private cottages
  • Disliked — Too far South on Napa wineries for us
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Grohe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Bardessono
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford
The Meritage Resort and Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!