“Carneros Inn is a perfectly elegant resort.”

Carneros Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I stayed at the Carneros with my husband in August 2009 during our 3 year anniversary trip. I was more than impressed with the resort from the moment we drove up to the main entrance. The staff immediately responded to our questions upon arriving and greeted us with a delicious glass of wine. The concierge was more than helpful in booking our wine tours and tastings.

We ate at both Farm and Boon Fly Cafe which are the two restaurants on property. Farm had a beautiful and quaint feel to it, however I did not enjoy my meal. I decided to try duck for the first time, and through no fault of the chef, realized I am not a fan. My husband ordered a delicious pork meal, which we both really enjoyed. Boon Fly was fantastic for both breakfast and dinner. I recommend the jalapeno benedict...it's to die for. The poolside restaurant was good, but pricey. I suggest ordering a cheese plate while sipping your drink of choice by the amazing pool. As for vinyards to visit, it's personal preference, but I liked the Cakebread tasting best. The staff there had the most relaxed and fun attitude and the wine was my favorite among all the places we visited. On your way to the vinyards, you must stop at Oakville Grocery for a picnic lunch. The sandwiches were absolutely delicious and we were told this place was a local favorite. The picnic area outside was cute for a quick lunch.

Our cottage was beautiful. There was a large, luxurious bathroom which also featured an outdoor shower that I did not use, but looked old and unkempt. The bathroom also had heated floors, which added a nice touch to the chilly nights. The outdoor area of our little cottage was very cute and private with lounge chairs, heaters, and a picnic table. It was a really neat spot. The room was modern and comfortable, but could use more space for luggage and clothes.

As for the location, one could easily bike to vinyards from the resort. I would plan to make a day of it if you choose to travel this way and leave early. We used our rental car and were able to visit 3 vinyards and have lunch (we got off to a late start). The spa and pool were both fantastic at this resort. I had a massage as well as a facial and really enjoyed both. The spa staff are very friendly and make you feel really comfortable. I'm not one to lounge in a bathrobe, but felt I could without feeling awkward on the pretty deck. The only complaint I have is that there was some construction going on outside the spa, which took away from the cool views on the spa deck. The pool is the best I've ever seen. Words can't describe the view and feeling you will experience at this pool. It was serene and breathtaking. Even if you don't stay here, definitely check out the resort's pool area on a visit to this place. It is well worth it to have lunch on the patio. The resort store closed rather early on a Sunday, which was disappointing.

Though this resort was expensive (600+) it was so well worth the splurge. I definitely recommend staying at the Carneros if you are looking for a beautiful spot in the middle of wine country to relax and pamper yourself.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed November 22, 2009

My wife and I recently stayed there as a perk from my company. Looking at what my company paid for a night in a cottage( $813 total ) including room and tax plus a resort fee? ($10) I had to see what these rooms actually rent for if we had rented it ourselves. I now see they are charging in the range of $400 per night. Must be the economy but when this room was reserved over a year ago it wasalmost double in price. The Inn was nice and well located. The BoonFly Restaurant was very good with excellent service, The cottage we stayed in had a beautiful bathroom but was overall cramped for what we paid. Too much deck space with no views. Overall a nice inn but funky tin siding looked cheap. I would pay $250 to $300 to stay here in the future based on amenities such as pools and spa.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BikeRiderCalifornia
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I can only agree with everyone elses reviews,its a very romantic getaway,amazing pool area,the most fabulous rooms which included a decked area and heater,lovely log burning fireplace,amazing bathroom,although the indoor / outdoor shower seemed a little strange as the water just seemed to go everywhere when you used it outside,all the staff were very attentive to our needs.
The resort does have a kinda country club feel to it upon first impressions but once your settled in the room the whole ambience off the place takes over.
This was by far the nicest room we stayed in on our 3 weeks road trip,i decided to splash out a little and it paid off...but boy did i splash out $550 for one night,but as in everything in life, you get what you pay for,and in this case you wont be dissapointed.
We topped off the experience with lunch at The Boon Cafe,which was very amazing

Reviewed November 6, 2009

Granted, this was the most expensive hotel we booked on our October 2009 honeymoon trip - but then again, it was the most worth it..
The good: FABULOUS cottages with lovely backyards! Just beautiful - hard to explain really. High-end, perfectly appointed without being snobby or pretentious. Staff was always there for anything you needed - and room service was absolutely excellent! Parking is free and right in front of your cottage - mini-fridge is modestly stocked and included with the room (just a nice touch - I like not being nickeled & dimed, don't you?)
What you should know: You have to drive to Napa - it's a little off the beaten path. This is really not a big deal, but something to know. FARM restaurant is apparently closed on Monday & Tuesday - which were the 2 nights we were there. A pity, because it looked so beautiful!
In short, I wish we had spent the whole week here instead of 2 nights. Just amazing - we'll be back.

Reviewed October 27, 2009

I don't know how anyone could rate this resort less than a 5 on anything. It nailed every category. We recently returned from an Anniversary trip at the Carneros Inn and it was one of the most romantic places we could have picked. The cottages are beautifully appointed with a rustic feel. The spa is beautiful. The housekeeping was perfect. And the service was impeccable.
Be sure to visit the Farm restaurant on property. It was our favorite in the Valley.
The only problem with this place is that you won't want to leave.

Reviewed October 13, 2009

I spent a week at Carneros Inn with my wife and extended family and had a wonderful time. The Hill Top was great for relaxing in the pool and the views were amazing! I highly recommend the Inn to first timers to wine country as well as seasoned veterans!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Up front caveat - we were on our mini-moon (short version of the honeymoon, with real honeymoon coming a year later), so we were a little drunk with love.

Carneros Inn has a rustic feel with a lot of the amenities you would get in a big city type of hotel. Located at the southern end of California's beautiful Napa wine region, the hotel sported many of the rolling vineyard views that make it a popular destination.

When we first arrived, we were quite smitten with the level of service. The entry area where they check you in had a few staffers there who made us feel quite welcome. With cordial service and conversational style, we knew the service would be to our liking. They gave us the obligatory introduction champagne while they checked us in and gave us the layout of the property.

The rooms are a little different. They do very much resemble high-end trailer park places. With tin corrugated tin roofs and set in small of groups of 6 or 8 rooms, they are an odd mix of luxury and country style living. The rooms feature a king size bed, a medium-sized bathroom, and a nice tub with both an indoor and outdoor shower. Each room has its own little firepit area and a nice little outdoor area along with a front porch area that looks out on the other rooms in the grouping. This gives it a little bit of a community feel, so if you are looking for isolated bungalows, this is not the place for you.

The property has a couple of restaurants (Farm and another place I cannot remember the name to). We had breakfast at the unnamed place, which was excellent. Green Eggs and Ham is a must-have dish for anyone who likes eggs florentine. The restaurant has a distinct diner feel, so again, this is not the place to go for a secludeped high-end type meal.

We had dinner at Farm one night, which was fantastic. The corn soup was fantastic, and the chef even provided us the recipe so we could try our best to mimic when we got home (we did quite well, actually). Farm is an exquisite restaurant with great food and a very good wine selection. The prices are high, but the service, ambiance, and food justified it. As a frame of reference, we did eat at French Laundry later on the same trip, and the Farm food, while not as good, did feature the best single item we ate (the aforementioned corn soup).

The upper grounds have a beautiful infinity pool, which looked to be mostly unused in May when we were there. We did watch the sunrise from the jacuzzi, which was a stunning sight. They serve pool-side food, so we enjoyed a lunch and the views. The manager introduced himself and spent 20 minutes talking with us, a nice personal touch.

We also had a couples massage and enjoyed the mineral bath overlooking the vineyards. The tubs overlook a mostly gorgeous view, though there was some construction to the right that made it less than perfect. The massages were good, and the bath was refreshing.

They provided champagne and rose petals on our first night, a small detail that speaks to the service levels here.

Overall, the place is expensive but beautiful. If you are looking true high-end, this is probably not the perfect place, but it is great for something that offers friendly and high-end mixed. The location is a little bit odd, since it is a bit south relative to the rest of the gems in the wine area. That being said, we both recommend this as a weekend getaway for anyone looking for romance and rustic style.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#2 of 6 in Yountville
4 mi away
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!