“Didn't want to leave...”

Carneros Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Carneros Inn for three nights (but only paid for 2! Ask about their deal right now!). After a rough flight and no luggage with me, arriving at the Caneros made me feel MUCH better. We had the best cottage (Lee 1) and it was gorgeous with an even more gorgeous back deck and view of the vineyards.

The pros: The staff was more than helpful, the beds were soooo cozy, the bathroom was amazing (we want to re-do our bathroom at home now just like the Carneros!), the outdoor shower was wonderful with the rain showerhead, we got breakfast delievered to us every morning which was soo yummy! The pool was beautiful (and empty!) and the grounds were too. The spa was wonderful too - I recommend a body scrub by Patricia!

The cons: If you want your room cleaned before three, make sure to ask for that. Also, don't have a fire in your fireplace! Our whole room smelled like campfire! And everyhing is obviously very overpriced from the spa treatments to the snacks at the Market...Also, dogs are allowed and there was a barking dog for two days straight, which is all I heard while at the pool, but the staff did everything they could to get it to stop.

Overall, The Carneros was AMAZING. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed July 1, 2009

Carneros Inn is a wonderful place to stay. Staff is friendly and helpful! Cottages are clean and very nice. I will always stay her when traveling to Napa! Boonfly is great for breakfast! The Market is nice to have on property and the pool with poolside drinks is great! Spa is great, massage by Patricia is wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Carneros a few years ago on the recommendation of a co-worker. We still dream of returning there - it encompassed our illusory trip to Napa. The staff - phenomenal and friendly, never a step out of cadence. We love minimal and modern, and this place had it. Al fresco shower - amazing! Heated floors for those cool nights, perfect white sheets, fireplace, jacuzzi tub, etc etc etc. We also visited the spa and had such a relaxing experience. We chilled by the pool that overlooks the vineyard and took walks around the resort, which was well groomed. I love that Carneros has taken five star to a different level, the small details made this place something we will definitely return to again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I get the feeling this place is a love it or hate it thing. Stayed just one night and I can definitely see how it could induce some polarity in opinion. It is either barnyard chic or nouveau trailer park and I guess that is in the eye of the beholder.

On the one hand, it's an easy location, not as far out as some of the nicer properties in Napa, making it an easy drive from SF. However, the grounds are much less lush than some of the other nicer properties in the Napa Valley. It's a bit spare and reminiscent of, well, a high end trailer park or Agresta (which will only make sense if you watch Weeds.) The use of corrugated metal as the barrier fence between the cottages is brave but also a a bit questionable. It's next to impossible to make any material like that look high end, and at $600 a night, high end is important. Okay, I get the whole "Farm" theme, but perhaps some weathered wood might have been a more inviting choice and more fitting for the vibe they are going for?

Extremely high marks for the entire experience at their restaurant "Farm". The food was excellent and the outdoor dining room exactly what one hopes for on a warm night in Napa. The radiant heated floors in the bathrooms, the indoor/outdoor showers and the rocking chairs on the front porches also are worth mention. Additional shout out to the 24 hour pool and hot tub on the hill top. Nice view, nice touch.

Low marks for the general lack of lushness and views from the rooms, the very odd lack of space for setting up the luggage valet even in one of the larger cottages, sparse landscaping, semi-characterless rooms and as mentioned and did I mention the weird use of corrugated metal?

Neutral marks for the extreme neutrality of the rooms. They are very comfortable, but as mentioned a bit cramped (even in the larger ones) and also lacking in character. It's hard to love them unless you happen to love things that are completely neutral, which is hard to do by definition.

Additional high marks for the spa -- one of the best massages I have ever had. Also for the pool -- gorgeous view of the valley.

Over all, this is the kind of place I would recommend that you go visit before you stay if you can. Very difficult to describe it accurately if you've not seen it in person. It warrants a tour prior to your stay of possible.

But if you end up there, make the most of the heated floors, the lovely view from the pool/hot tub and the food at Farm.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2009

OK let me just start off by saying that this is my first time writing a review on Trip Advisor but I always use this website to research hotels when I travel so I thought I'd share my two cents with my fellow travelers.
Hotel - the rooms are individual cottages with a comfortable bed, fireplace (we used every night as the wind really picks up at night and it gets pretty cold), roomy bathroom, outdoor shower (really cool on a hot day) and private outdoor patio. The staff was great, they really made sure everything was up to par and kept our room clean.
Grounds - are absolutely stunning!!! The view from the pool is absolutely breathtaking and its just a very romantic and relaxing atmosphere.
Location - is great. Very easy to get to all the wineries in Napa and surrounding areas and its about 15 minutes to Sonoma (cute little town with shops, restaurants and galleries.) The hotel offer complementary bikes which you can ride to neighboring wineries (you take back roads to get to them so you dont get run over on Hwy 121 or 29 :) Make sure to visit Artesa, which by far had the most spectacular views and great wine (must go.) My bf and I also took a hike at the Skyline Park, which is only about 20 min drive from the hotel. The park is absolutely gorgeous with beautiful views, wild flowers and animals (we saw wild turkeys and deer.)
Food - The FARM was OK with very small portions that were overpriced. Boon Fly Cafe had delicious breakfast and the Hilltop had a limited menu so we didn't eat there. The Market Restaurant in St. Helena was great for lunch and there was an Italian place on Hwy 29 (cant remember the name of it) that had terrible food and rude staff. Not worth the money or time. Overall we were disappointed with food in Napa.

This was definately a great relaxing vacation and I would absolutely recommend this hotel. Its pretty pricey but worth every penny!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SolnishkoNYC
Reviewed April 20, 2009

As the sweet young bellman helped me from my car, told me to leave the keys in it and then slapped a glass of cabernet in my hand along with a welcoming smile, I knew I was on to something. This type of greeting goes a long way with me. I'm just saying.

I've been reading about and lusting for The Carneros Inn for almost a year now in the course of developing my travel singlegirl solo grove. At long last as the economy has approached depression along with the unique alignment of a last minute vacation and an Easter Sunday with no family commitments, the room rate gods said "we'll give the girl a break".

I reserved a vineyard view cottage - I've gotta have a view. I've got to have my privacy. Admittedly I was there during an "off" time (early in the week) and the resort was pretty much empty. The nice man at check in was kind enough to upgrade me to a vineyard view suite which consisted of two connected buildings, one housing the bedroom/gorgeous bath, and the other a living area and full bath which I walked in one time. MONSTROUS deck in the back connecting the two. And oh yes, there was a view.

There are over 100 reviews here about how lovely the rooms are and exceptional the service is - yes it's all true. But let me say how the combination of a heated slate floor in the bathroom, sexy outdoor shower and a beautiful sunrise in the morning can be pretty much a religious experience. I'm no tree hugger but I might have to become one after two days of gazing out over the hilltop pool, admiring the utterly *stunning* grounds which I don't think have been emphasized here enough, and ... this is a hard thing for a city girl to admit, but also....bird watching. They are very busy there. I may have lost my mind.

There are some cool amenities to this place that also make it worthy of staying on campus for a weekend and not fret too much about hitting every winery within a five mile radius. I went large for lunch at The Boon Fly Cafe with the burger and it was worth every one of the 5,000 calories I ingested. Two glasses of wine too and I got to walk back to my cottage without the angst of "should I be driving?". The swimming pools are both beautiful and vanishing edge. Definitely worth a couple of hours of your day. There's a very nice market place at the entry to the Inn with a well stocked deli counter and monstrous refrigerator case with an impressive wine collection. Nice gift shop also. Cute little post office next door.

The Hilltop restaurant was closed when I was there but I didn't care. Between the burger and the treats I scored at the market place, it was more than enough.

I've got to have my patio, balcony or deck. As far as some valuable inside "reconn", when I go back I'll reserve a simple "cottage". No view required - the surroundings and space are all spectacular and I don't need the grandure of the big meadow and vineyard to know I will have an amazing time.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank BlondeandBlue99
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Carneros Inn for three nights at the end of March to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I could not have asked for a more lovely place to stay. Check in was very smooth and we were given a glass of wine during the process. From the moment we arrived, the staff was simply exceptional. The grounds are spread out and well landscaped in such a way as it never feels crowded. The decor in the cottage was very modern with clean lines. The best part, without a doubt, is the backyard which allows for complete privacy. We had a table with four chairs and a double sized lounge chair as well as the outdoor shower. We used the heat lamp in the evenings and were very comfortable. I should also say that there are different room set-ups in the garden cottages as our friends' cottage was arranged differently as was their backyard. It seems to me that the better set up is where the bed faces the french doors out onto the backyard. If you are looking for a resort where you are not on top of your neighbors and enjoy outdoor space- this is definitely the place for you.

As I stated before, the staff was great. The concierge services were professional and friendly. Prior to arriving they had made arrangments for us to go on Playtpus Tours one day and for a driver from Napa Valley Tours on the second day where we had appointments at mostly smaller wineries and were provided with a very personal experience. I would recommend both highly. The first night we returned to the room to find a complimentary bottle of wine and a nice note in celebration of our anniversary. A nice touch. The breakfasts at Hilltop were excellent as was the view from the outdoor dining. One morning I had asked for a wake-up call but having awakened early, we left for breakfast before the scheduled time. When we arrived back to the room, someone knocked on the door just to make sure everything was okay since we hadn't answered the phone. Another evening, ice was delivered to the room in less than five minutes of calling. Boon Fly was good for dinner. My only disappointment was Farm where the food was just okay even though the atmosphere and service were above average.

In all- I would not hesitate to highly recommend this property. It is near perfection.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dwarren70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#2 of 6 in Yountville
4 mi away
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!