“How could you not like this place?”

Carneros Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Orlando, Florida
“How could you not like this place?”
Reviewed March 3, 2005

If you have some extra cash to burn or if you make a good buck, definitely check into this place. The only thing I was worried about before checking in was whether the staff would be pretentious, which is a huge turn off. They weren't at all, but rather were extremely friendly and bent over backwards to try to do whatever they could to make our stay the best possible. While we didn't get upgraded to the Lee Suite like one reviewer (that would have been a definite plus), we had a "hamburger" garden cottage in the interior. Hamburger means that the door is in the middle; hotdog means that the door is on the end. That should pretty much sum up that while the place is extremely nice, there is no attitude whatsoever.

The only negative about the cottage was the nonexistant view. It would have been nice to have one of the vineyard views, but whatever, the cottage itself was great. One reviewer said that if he hadn't have been upgraded to the suite, he would have felt cramped. Wow. You must stay in some huge hotel rooms when you travel. I guess if you expect the cottage to have a living area other than the outside deck and garden, you may be dissapointed, but the cottage isn't lacking in size by any means.

The bathroom is fantastic, and the shower is by far my favorite shower ever. It has four showerheads that are all adjustable and you can open the door that leads to the "al fresco" shower outside. If you open the door 90 degrees, it locks into the al fresco shower to create about a 12-15 foot shower stall, half inside and half outside. Pretty sweet. I think I took the longest shower of my life.

The plasma TV w/ DVD and VCR were also great, and the fireplace was a nice touch, though the "firewood" (it's not real wood, but rather a pile of firestarter logs I think) only lasted for about 15 minutes before it went out. We might have done something wrong, I don't know.

The staff are fantastic...really, really friendly and also very knowledgeable of the surrounding wineries. I would recommend taking a trip up to Alexander Valley and the Russian River areas of Sonoma. Also, if it's a nice day out, the view from the Artesa winery is amazing, and that winery is also only a couple of miles from the inn.

It's a great place to stay, and I definitely look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2005
13 Thank FLcs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
sacramento, ca
Reviewed February 19, 2005

We stayed at the Carneros Inn for one night only. We had an inside garden cottage without a view and it was simply lovely. Despite the lack of a view, we had a very spacious back yard that was private and lovely. They have done a beautiful job landscaping and it is clear that the spring bloom will be quite spectacular. The outdoor shower in the rain was the highlight. Samantha graciously called us with a cancellation and we were able to dine at the Hilltop restaurant despite the fact that we had not made prior reservations. It was every bit as good as any of the more reknowned choices in Napa, Yountville, Sonoma or St. Helena. It was very nice to be able to walk to the restaurant under the stars and to avoid further driving. The food was excellent and the service was gracious and attentive. The hotel and restaurant have a very contemporaryand graceful feel. The public areas as well as the cottages are contemporary without being starkly modern or coldly unwelcoming. There was clearly much thought placed on layout, gardening, and interior design. I thought the privacy countered the fenced-in feeling that some readers have commented upon. We enjoyed our visit and thought it was well worth the price. We would definitely visit again.

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank prospectivetraveler
Reviewed February 18, 2005

I could not help myself, I had such a good time at Carneros Inn I had to buy one of their high fashion homes.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2005

my husband and i just came back from the most relaxing vacation we ever had, thanks to the incredible carneros inn. the inn itself is so perfect its hard to describe. i'll start with the cottages: they were the sweetest buildings i ever saw. the rooms were very clean and comfortable, the bed was heavenly, the shower had the best water pressure i ever felt and the flat screen tv and fireplace were just bonuses. the staff and service were a-one. they made you feel right at home, as if they were waiting just for us to arrive. we only stayed one night and then we went down to san francisco, although, san francisco was beautiful, i was sorry we didn't stay at the carneros longer. we would have liked to enjoyed the beautiful spa. we can't wait to visit again. thanks again to the carneros inn.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
El Dorado Hills, CA
Reviewed February 12, 2005

My husband and I planned a one night romantic getaway to The Carneros Inn for an early Valentine's celebration. I read all the Trip Advisor reviews - and reading the details from contributors really paid off! Because we read the reviews, we gathered that paying the extra amount for a Vineyard View room would not be worth it, so we booked a Garden Cottage for $435 for a Saturday night. I booked it on-line in November. A few weeks later when I checked the web-site, a weekend stay for that weekend had a 2 night minimum - which was not what we wanted, so I felt fortunate that I had booked far ahead.

I read the review entitled "Best Trip Ever", written on 12/30/04. Towards the end of the review the writer stated "Get a cottage with a king bed and the entry door in the "middle", not on the end...trust me. Better layout by far and feels larger." I wasn't sure what that meant but I trusted her, and asked the front desk upon check-in what exactly this reviewer was referring to. Samantha, at the front desk, knew exactly what this was and why this may have been mentioned (though she certainly did not disparage the units with doors not in the middle - she said it was simply personal preference by some). She checked to see which layout we were slotted for, and we indeed were set to be put into the type of room with the layout the writer did not recommend.

When Samantha saw that she said, "Let's see what we can do for you that may be better - I think we can give you a suite." Not only did they give us a suite - but apparently the best suite in the hotel according to where it is located, and according to the opinions of many staff members! It was Rooms 9 & 10, Lee section. Room 10 is the sleeping room, and Room 9 is the entertainment area. They are separate buildings laid out end by side in a L-shape pattern, with the very large private deck connecting the two. The outdoor patio has a gate that opens onto the edge of the vineyard and you could wander out - and apparently this room has the best view of the vineyards as it is sloping downward. What was also nice was to have 2 fireplaces, and also 2 bathrooms and 4 showers!! (2 indoor and 2 outdoor). We had our computer with us and checked the Carneros web-site and saw that this suite goes for $1000/night!

We had friends driving over from Santa Rosa to meet us for dinner at the Hilltop, so this set-up worked out fantastic! We spent and hour and a half having wine at the suite - enjoying the beautiful view on our deck (outdoor heaters are wonderful when the sun sets), and then into the entertainment room to share a platter of hor' doeuvres in front of the lovely fire to continue our festivities before dinner. Carneros - you truly made our trip special with treatment like this! A resort will do this obviously upon occasion for PR purposes - and I will pay them back by letting Trip Advisor readers know of their generosity!

We had lunch at the Boon Fly before check-in which was quite nice, and we had dinner at the Hilltop. The food was fantastic at the Hilltop! There are 3,4 & 5 course prix fix meals to choose from. We thought it was very reasonably priced for $50 for a 3 course dinner - especially considering you could pick whatever 3 courses you wanted!! For example, I didn't want an traditional appetizer - and I was torn between wanting the Monkfish and the lamb for my entree. The solution was simple. Choose 2 main courses! The Monkfish is apparently one of their specialities, and it almost tasted like lobster! Just wonderful as was the lamb!

Prior reviews of Carneros showed controversy in opinion of the appearance of this stylized hotel. The cottages are meant to be reminiscent of the vineyard worker's homes of past. It is very different. And I don't know if I would have been happy in a room that was on the interior of the grounds. (Check the grounds map before you accept your room). We decided that we appreciated what they were doing stylistically - but it is different. I have given this resort a 4-rating, but my 5's are reserved for only the best spots in the world - and we do travel well and frequently. My criticism would be that the cottages are very small - too small for my taste. If we had not had a suite, I would have felt very crowded with only the sleeping room. I will not repeat all the praise already given the hotel on the wonderful room amenities, and will only say I agree. Give Carneros a try. The staff was great, the food was fantastic - and this experience is simply unique!

• Stayed January 2005
14 Thank Michaela
Reviewed January 14, 2005

Stayed at the Carneros Inn from 12/27-30. My husband and I loved it. So private and quiet. Sorry we stayed only 3 nights. The indoor/outdoor shower was magnificent. There was a lot of rain over those 3 days, but that's what made the outdoor shower the highlight of my stay. The plasma tv and the real wood burning fireplace were nothing to cough at. Did I mention the heated bathroom floors? Would recommend staying here. Staff were very courtious and the restaurants served large portions of good food. Don't forget your laptop as they provide free DSL hookup.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 29, 2004

If you are going to read ANY of the many reviews posted on The Carneros Inn, read THIS ONE...and read on. My boyfriend and I recently took a 4 day getaway to Napa, having never been there...from the Midwest over Christmas. (Dec 26-29, '04) We stayed two nights at The Carneros, which was the most fabulous place I've ever stayed (and I travel much for business.) I was a tad nervous only because of some prior negative reviews posted at this site, but decided to go with my instinct and book a Garden Cottage. The staff was extremely friendly (thank you Austin) and eager to help and from the moment we arrived...everything was top notch and we were treated like royalty. We followed Pete in the golf cart to our place, and the cottage was nothing less than gorgeous. The plasma screen tv plays dvds (free up at the Hilltop), cable, and also music stations they have (you can also play cd's if you bring them). The fireplace was warm and cozy with unlimited wood to use. There is a mini frig, coffeemaker, and everything else you may need is truly on site. Vallergas (grocery) is right up Hwy 29 if you forget anything (and has cheap wine too!). The lights are almost all on dimmers, setting the mood in the evening..and the outdoor patio with heater was perfect for a glass of wine under the stars one night. The bed..heavenly. Next to your bed, is an entire wall of full height windows, including the French Doors, which open to your private backyard. The light that comes in is amazing. The turndown at night by the staff was extremely elegant..curtains pulled, water by the bed, classical music left on, lights dimmed, bed turned down..where can you get this treatment? The sun rose in the backyard (extremely private, all enclosed) and set in the front of our cottage. The bathroom takes up almost half of the cottage, and is just incredible. From the tub for two (bring tons of tealights to light!), the heated floors (hit the "sun" button and they'll stay at 76 degrees), and the outdoor shower (with a door out to it from the inside shower, don't you dare not try this)..we were in pure heaven. Where have you stayed that you've never wanted to leave? This is the place. We highly suggest breakfast at the Boon Fly Cafe on site, and some hiking at Skyline Park which is a 10 minute drive away..fantastic views, wildlife and various routes for your personal level. We suggest the Skyline Trail (not Lower, but the Skyline Trail) for views and pictures you'll be in awe of at the Park. A drink at the Hilltop Bar is a must, Candace was great to talk with. "Tra Vigne" for dinner in St. Helena is HEAVENLY..ask for Walt as your waiter. This is a very romantic, pretty place for dinner, get reservations. Walt's incredible..and has 30 years of Napa knowledge to share, including a great sense of humor and wonderful menu suggestions (get split orders, and you can try multiple dishes!). Celadon in Napa for dinner was fantastic as well..you MUST order the Calamari and their signature Crab Cakes, best we've ever tasted. Utilize the Carneros concierge (Katie and Lindsey were great)..they found us a church for Christmas morning service, maps to hiking trails, and maps to wineries..can even set up appointments for you, they were so eager to help. No one ever said no to me..Loved that. Again, what hotel would do this for you? Fantastic service. We also suggest visiting the Domaine Carneros winery and taking the free tour; it is worthwhile if you aren't a frequent vineyard visitor (it was our first time.) We also visited Cakebread and the Niebaum Coppola. The Coppola estate was breathtaking..and they have a very nice, LARGE store inside that sells all sorts of great Napa trinkets and such. I bought some great cork keychains for all my co-workers...great small gifts (also wine, food, clothes, etc.) If the weather is poor, you could spend the day at Niebaum! (There is a small restaurant there too) On a lasting note, you must take Hwy 29 up to Calistoga (car or motorcycle if you can), and then head over to the Silverado Trail and come back South down to Napa. The views and hill country make you feel like you are in Italy. Sterling Vineyard has an aerial tram you can ride for even more views on the Silverado Trail side. All in all, The Carneros Inn truly delivered. We will definitely return; in fact, we don't know why you'd stay anywhere else. Enjoy. I'll be writing Keith the Owner to let him know what a great time we had. PS Not to knock the Vineyard View Cottages, but we were in Cabral and it was just great...definitely worth saving the extra money if you don't mind walking 5 or 10 feet to see the exact same view. Get a cottage with a king bed and the entry door in the "middle", not on the end...trust me. Better layout by far and feels larger. Feel free to email me if you have further questions, I'd be more than happy to answer. ENJOY!

• Stayed December 2004
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Bardessono
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford
The Meritage Resort and Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!