“Quiet and Peaceful.”

Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
New York City, New York
“Quiet and Peaceful.”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Great service and a secluded location, the Carneros Inn is a wonderful location. The staff is fabulous and very helpful. It's location is a bit far from Wineries, but is centrally located between Napa and Sonoma.

The cottages are all impeccably maintained, the outdoor space is ample and usable. Each room has a fireplace and heated bathroom floors which are a wonderful luxury when the evenings are cool.

There are only two restaurants, so keep that in mind if you plan to stay on property the whole time. The menus are decent, but it could be a bit challenging to find something exciting for a whole week. However, downtown Napa is only about 10-15 minutes by car and there are dozens of options there.

The spa is great, and we have never had to worry about it being overbooked. There are bikes and movies (though mostly older stuff that's not very exciting). Be warned that the wireless isn't great. You can check email, but that's about all, don't count on being able to download a movie and watch it.

Two pools are on property. The hilltop one is better, but can get cold when the wind kicks up. It has the advantage of having a hot tub next to it. The views from the hilltop are great and you can enjoy cocktails up the in afternoon.

Overall, this is a great place if you want to relax.

Room Tip: The Mahoney cottages are far away from the bustle and are usually the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
San Francisco
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is absolutely amazing! Hands down the number one place to stay in my handbook. I've stayed in different hotels all over the world, and I really got blown away with the charm of this Inn. The reception was almost like coming to a close family members home that you haven't seen in awhile. It's a sit down reception where they offer you tea, coffee or wine. It was very warm and polite. There are nice outdoor lawn chair seating where you can see the greenery of the valley for days. I was there during the winter and so it was too cold to go in the gorgeous pool. All of the cottages are so charming, private and modern. We had our own private back patio with laying out chairs and outdoor dining table and outdoor heater. There are two showers one indoor and the other outdoor but it's connected together by simply opening a door. I thought it was a genius idea that they provided toiletries in larger household refillable dispenser instead of those wasteful too hard to squeeze trial size bottles. The bed and linens made me feel like I was sleeping on my own bed at home. All of the drinks in the refrigerator are complimentary. Theres a bar within the property that has fireplaces that you could relax with a drink while taking in the open air and stars. They provide bicycles that you can borrow and ride around the area. The Inn as whole has the right balance of modern and transistional architecture and decor. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2013
Omaha
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed here twice and have been extremely happy. We stayed in one of the smaller 2 bed cottages this time with our 2 children. Though the space is tight the room is cozy. We had a very large outside sitting area which was nice spot for a quiet morning coffee. The breakfast was delicious and we used our AMEX Plat for the FHR amenities. The shower was enormous which our kids loved. We toured around the area and loved the location of the property. One fun highlight was meeting the Architect who designed the Carneros Inn at breakfast! Our kids loved the pool and the boules court.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ckayjr
New York, NY
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to The Carneros Inn since 2004 and have stayed at the property five times. We love the location, the rooms, the staff, and the wonderful restaurants. The spa is amazing - I highly recommend getting a massage or other treatment while staying at the resort.

The rooms at the property are private cottages with expansive modern bathrooms and wonderful luxury touches. Each cottage has a private garden with outdoor shower (and show have outdoor gas fireplaces and outdoor tubs). The spaces are meant to allow you to enjoy the indoor/outdoor living in wine country.

The restaurants on the property are great. You have the Boon Fly Cafe (you everyday food choice), Farm (a higher-end option), and the Hillside (breakfast and lunch). Food at each location is very good and the service is outstanding. I suggest the doughnuts at the Boon Fly. Wine selection throughout the hotel (as expected given it is Napa Valley) is amazing.

Staff at the resort are great. They really work hard to make you feel at home and to take care of you while you are the resort.

My only negative about the Carneros Inn is the pet policy. We like to travel with our yorkie (5 pounds) and currently the hotel allows you to bring your dog (with minor restrictions: small dogs, a fee, and a waiver), but you cannot leave the dog in the room unattended - this makes it very difficult to enjoy the property and the restaurants (where reasonably, the dog cannot go). They really need to evaluate the policy and make it a little more dog-owner friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
san francisco
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Carneros is classically awesome -- beautiful location, excellent rooms (little cabins with outdoor space), wonderful beds, outdoor showers, lovely grounds and they are dog friendly! I've been here multiple times and each time I appreciate their attention to detail, the helpful staff and private rooms.

Although we went for a weekend getaway and upgraded to a romantic room with an outdoor tub, which was awesome on a clear night under a full moon. I always think Carneros is best for groups because the rooms are so private but there is so much open space that is fantastic for lounging with friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank natala007
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This may be my favorite hotel in the world. I have now spent two separate weeks here, and every moment at this hotel is as exceptional as the rest.

First, the accommodations. The interiors of the rooms are smallish, but this is more than made up for by (a) the large bathrooms (with heated floors), (b) the garden space, and (c) the fact that you are in Napa - get out of your room!

For my wife and me, having a private garden to sip the wine you picked up earlier that day or week is just perfect. With day beds or lounge chairs, a full table for four, heat lamps for the chillier evenings, and soaking tub, these private spaces offer you the ability to relax the way you want to on a trip to wine country.

The common areas/grounds are just as relaxing and spectacular. The pool at the top of the hill is quite possibly the most beautiful setting in all of Napa (and that is saying something). The clubhouse is warm and inviting, the spa is top-notch, and the little "villages" with sour orange and kumquat (i think) trees are serene and pleasant when walking to and from Boon Fly, the Hill, etc.

Finally, the service. What can I say? This place is the end-all-be-all of luxury service. I asked ahead of time that my room be prepped with ingredients for old-fashioneds (my drink of choice). They went above and beyond - had a tray in my room with Maker's Mark (my choice), sugar cubes, fresh home-made bitters, artisan drenched sour cherries, a couple fresh oranges and a knife for slicing them. Then, to tie it together, they delivered a fresh bucket of ice each morning.

This is just a singular sample of the amazing service provided at every turn at this place. They will make arrangements for wine tours, dinners, etc. that aren't the same ol' places every other hotel sends their guests. They will bring you food from any one of three restaurants to any where you want to sit and eat. Nothing goes unconsidered or unaccounted for.

The only reason I hesitate to publish this raving review is that I selfishly want to keep the traffic down at this place. Alas, they deserve it too much for me to keep it mum (and based on the other reviews, the cats out of the bag anyway!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the hill, that way you don't have to trek too far to enjoy the pool wit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Matthew B
Sausalito, California
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Carneros Inn consists of several small (and some larger) cottages. Our cottage had one bedroom and the most luxurious bathroom with heated floors. There was also an outdoor shower and bath tub as well as an outdoor dining table, lounge chairs and fireplace. The property is just absolutely gorgeous! We enjoyed eating breakfast and lunch at the Hilltop restaurant which is for guests only and had amazing views of the surrounding vineyards. We had dinner at the Boon Fly restaurant which is open to the public and served tasty food in a relaxed atmosphere. My husband enjoyed the Hilltop pool and hot tub. They also have a family pool area with a tot pool but since my baby and I were sick we didn't take advantage of that.

The reason I have only rated this place as average is that we had some problems with service. Housekeeping came for turn down service at 9:45 the first night. We were already in bed sleeping! The next day we never got regular service. They didn't come while we were out for a late breakfast so we called to make sure they came when we were out for wine tasting. We came back around 6:30 pm and still no service. This was very frustrating for us because we had planned to eat dinner in the room since our baby was tired and cranky. When we called to talk to a manager, there was no apology or attempt to make up for this lack of service.

Another disappointment was the spa. I was very excited to try it out because I had read great things about it. I really wanted (and needed) a pedicure. When I called on Saturday to schedule one, I was told that they did not have a nail tech in until Wednesday. I was shocked that nobody was available on a Sunday. Ok, I get that it is low season and can see maybe having reduced services on Mon/Tues but nothing on a Sunday? Bummer. Also, the woman on the phone was not very friendly about it.

I would stay here again if I got a decent rate, because it was so beautiful and relaxing but I do hope that service and staffing improves.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BlueTiger28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#1 of 2 in Rutherford
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville
No photo provided

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!