“4th visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Napa
new york, ny
“4th visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I just finished our 4th stay at the Carneos Inn...and as always it was great. We go in december so can not comment on the pool really as its somewhat cold then...

This stay was just as great as our past have been...the service was top notch. On a rainy day we still got room service breakfast in 25 min...Room was always clean when we we came back in the afternoon. They were even kind enough to leave us a bottle of bubbly for our anniversary.

Spa - we both had a massage, which was very nice. There is only 1 thing i do not get, the spa is so nice, but the mens showers are just blah...feels like its the only corner they cut.

For those who really care about wifi - it can be slow (i didnt care, you can just plug in if you really need it)...also the tv channel set up makes no sense...but again i am not in napa to watch tv! just notcied one night when I was waiting for my wife to get ready and was watching tv.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights with my family. Very cool setting. We were really happy when we pulled up to see the big open court yard with fire pits blazing, bocce ball courts and open spaces. We were a bit put off at check in by the unfriendly desk clerk. We then asked about the Amex card promotion that they would upgrade us if a nicer room was available. When we asked, the clerk told us we were upgraded but when we questioned the upgrade we did not get an answer as to what the upgrade was. Anyway, another girl brought us a nice glass of wine and we were off to our room. The rooms were simple and clean. Farmhouse modern. The bathroom floors are heated and felt great. The beds were cozy but the dogs from the kennel across the street started barking around 5am and I could not go back to sleep. The pools are heated and we used the pools and jacuzzis. The hilltop restaurant has the best breakfast ever! Everything was delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the dog kennel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mb-lars
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

There is a dog kennel across the street from the Carneros Inn. I stayed in the Hall subgroup of rooms, and I would imagine that the same is true for all rooms near the Boonfly restaurant, but you can hear the dogs barking and yelping all night long from the kennel next door. I am a deep sleeper and was awakened twice. The rooms are very nice and the resort has wonderful amenities, but if getting a relaxing night of sleep is in your plans I would look elsewhere or make sure that you stay as far away from Boonfly as possible. The thing that most upset me was that the concierge/check-in assistant made no mention of this at check-in and at check-out just kind of shrugged when I explained the situation. At $400+ per night I would expect better.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
16 Thank 415Mike
Marin County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

First off, this is a great place. Deserving of its lofty rating, but I don't think it is QUITE the ideal place or the best option if searching widely in Napa.

First, the positives. The service is quite good, the whole reception & check-in process sets the right tone right at the start, pure luxury. The rooms are also excellent in size & appointments. Fireplace, outdoor shower, killer bathroom, etc. Can't really complain.

The issues I would take are these. The decor style of the place is a bit off-putting to me. Its not "old world luxury" nor is it "rustic" or even remotely "warm". Its more like "21st century shed" style. Its a sort of minimalist, clean, probably very eco-friendly style, for it leaves me a bit cold when I compare it to other places in this area that ooze character & warmth.

This also extends to the pool area which, while very nice, also has a touch of "sterility" and "just built" vibe to it. This may not be a negative for everyone, but for the price I like to feel like there's a bit of history behind things or luxury materials.

My other concern is that this is a combination hotel & vacation ownership property, like many top properties in this area. I can't fault them for that, but whenever I stay at a hotel that is split this way, it often makes my stay feel like less of a focus of the property. I'm sure the added units allow for more facilities (additional pools, exercise rooms, restaurants, etc.) but I generally would prefer a place that is 100% focused on the hotel side of the business.

One more thing - the location is OK but not great. Its not close to any town center and its on a pretty busy street, so much so that most of the property is (wisely) behind a fence on the road-side. This leads to a sense of being "fenced in" a bit as opposed to being nestled within a wine country town. The place IS basically its own town, but lacks the warm feeling of a true wine country community.

Room Tip: Ask for the shortest possible walk to the main pool/lobby complex. The place is big and you could e...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NSIInnerloop2
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

We've stayed at the Carneros Inn twice, and it is my absolute favorite place for a quiet romantic getaway. This place is 5 star all the way, and I would never stay anywhere else in the Napa Valley (as long as we can afford it, that is!) On our last visit, we stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage with its own outdoor fireplace and hot tub. It was actually one of the "orchard homes" that they were selling as fractional ownership (aka timeshare) properties. The cottage was absolutely stunning; all the finishes were brand new and luxurious right down to the bedding. We basically lazed the day away lounging around our cottage. The grounds of the Carneros Inn are spectacular and we love the pool and spa. The restaurant, FARM, is also wonderful, as is the poolside restaurant for a more casual breakfast or lunch. The only downside is how expensive this place is. I also would never come here with my kids...I don't think it is child-friendly at all and I have no idea what kids would do around this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I was in Napa to attend a wedding back in June 2011 and stayed at The Carneros Inn for 3 nights. I had a 2 bedroom cottage with 2 bed/baths along with an outdoor shower and dining area. I didn't get to spend too much time in the room due to wedding related activities, but I got complete relaxation when I did sleep in. The restaurants are great, although I prefer Boon Fly Cafe over Hilltop. I also fell in love with their spa; please try their massages and book in advance.

I wasn't too impressed with the check in process. They weren't as friendly as I would have liked, especially after a long drive. I was also a bit peeved after my mileage credit didn't show up after a few months. No matter, though. Kim [--], director of reservations, helped me out and was so patient throughout the entire process the little issues I had experienced with Front Desk was wiped away. If you every run into issues, ask for Ms. [--]. She's professional and super fast in making sure you're satisfied!

I absolutely loved the experience I had and would recommend this to my family. My partner and I hope to return to Napa once every 1-2 years. I've already recommended this property to my brother since his kids would benefit from the bucolic environment much more.

I read in bostongal19's review that The Carneros Inn treats their repeat customers with a bit of special attention. I am curious about that and look forward to my 2nd stay at The Carneros Inn next year or in 2013. Will definitely update this review and share my experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happy_maggie
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Spent a long weekend here and it was absolutely FAB! The two bedroom cottage had two bedrooms with full baths/dual sinks in each. An additional murphy bed. Big, open living, dining and kitchen area. The Refrigerator was stocked with bottled water, soft drinks, cheese and crackers, and a bottle of wine. The Outdoor area was just as fabulous! Had a fireplace indoors and outdoors, an ADDITIONAL screened in patio; hot tub, barbeque, etc. Between the indoors and outdoors it was like having two full living rooms. It was spaced beautifully. The design really optimized the space. The spa was awesome! Took a bath on the roof overlooking the scenery. Services were great. Food, service everything was top notch! You could spend the weekend here relaxing if you wanted. But it's proximity to Yountville and it's great eateries, as well as Napa/Sonoma vinyards make it a great location to enjoy everything the wine country offers. Romantic for couples, but also a FAB place for a long weekend with the girls! Going back same time next year!

Room Tip: All of the cottages have total privacy.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lanerikeel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Bardessono
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford
The Meritage Resort and Spa

Been to Carneros Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!