“Excellent Motel 6”

Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Palo Alto, California, United States
“Excellent Motel 6”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is a renovated Motel 6, meaning that it has an updated look. I love their new look - it has the feel of a boutique, indie hotel!

-Platform bed
-Painted accent wall
-New sink
-Nice little table with booth seating

It was a fantastic location after a day of wine tasting. It's walking distance to Peet's, Target, etc.

Front desk was nice. And of course, Motel 6 is pet-friendly, so we were thrilled to have our pup with us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We just spent two nights in the Motel 6, in Napa. I've stayed in a lot of Motel 6 properties, so I pretty much know what to expect.
Pluses: Clean. Good location with Starbucks and a grocery store across the street. Interior of room has been updated with the "international orange" interior and simulated wood floors.
Minuses: The rooms have been updated, but unfortunately, the motel building is very old. The heater is an in-wall unit from 1970 and very noisy, for example. The floor was very wavy. The bathroom sink was plugged up, which isn't a major deal, but they were unable to fix it right away. The walkways look like they were built 40 years ago. This (all?) Motel 6 doesn't have toilet seat covers, which can be a little exciting when traveling with a toddler who loves water. Typical very thin walls, your satisfaction may depend very much on who you get for neighbors, and if their hours coincide with yours.
Overall, not a great experience, although I generally like Motel 6. We'll stay in nearby American Canyon, next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Napa hotels

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

This hotel is by far the best location for the price you will find in expensive Napa. I have stayed at this hotel for years (when it was the Napa Redwood Inn) and after Motel 6 took over they have begun to slowly improve the rooms. The carpet is gone, replaced by a very bouncy laminate and the bed is now on a platform with higher quality bedding. The pillows are still thin and the mattress is not all that comfortable, but it is an improvement over what it used to be. The shower in my bathroom had a lot of mold on the door at in the seams, which I reported to Motel 6 Corporate, so perhaps they'll do something about it. In the meantime, concentrate how much you are saving by staying here! Plus, it is across the street from a good gourmet grocery store as well as 1/4 mile from a Trader Joes and Whole Foods, where you can get bottles of local wines at bargain prices and assemble a great picnic -- skip the high priced-tasting rooms. For value meals, try the excellent Black Bear Diner on Soscol.
You can have a fun and memorable vacation in Napa on a shoestring budget!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Barbara S
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I only went to this motel 6 because I had a free night, comp from a really bad experience last year. I didn't expect much but we needed a night away from the kids and chores so we decided to live on the wild side and chance another Motel 6 stay. This location is only an hour from home and with the nice shopping center across the street, and some of our favorite shops less than a half mile away we figured we could make the best of it.

Pulling up it looked just like any other Motel 6.

We booked it online (EZ), when we arrived they were fast with the key (waiting for us) and when I opened the door to the room I was shocked to see classy bedding, pergo floors (easing my bedbug concerns), a TV mounted on the wall and a quaint wall mounted table and seating area (where we ate great local takeout while watching our favorite shows WITHOUT kids).

We even had a refridgerator to store our leftovers, something too often missing in the top of the line hotels we have stayed in. Even the bathroom had a few updates, including a nice black marble counter with a white bowl sink.

I would be happy to recommend this place and stay here again. Especially in such an idealic and expensive area, where you want to enjoy the beautiful outdoors and not pay for a big room that you aren't even going to spend much time in.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dana F
Redwood City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Very pleased with my short stay here. Was in a rush to shower and get to dinner and the desk clerk was friendly and professional. The room was clean, had a king bed, a nice table with a corner seating unit and seperate chair, and the television was placed nicely in sight but out of the way. The bathroom was designed efficiently. It had a hairdryer (see Rohnert Park). The shower was a bit small but adequate. There was plenty of parking available. After dinner I lounged on the bed and enjoyed watching the Stanford Football game. Very comfortable. Despite being very near the freeway, the room was quiet. Checking out in the morning, the same young lady was the desk clerk and check out went smoothly. Did not get to use the pool but it looked inviting. Will definitely consider staying again for a one night stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went to Wine Country Ukulele Festival with friends in September and stayed at this Motel 6 on Solano Avenue. The desk clerk who checked us in was friendly and professional and went out of her way to give our group three rooms next to each other. Nothing fancy, but our room was clean, had two queen beds, a small dorm-sized fridge. free bottled water, big dining table, a large-screen TV, free wi-fi in the room. Bathroom was clean, plenty of towels. There's a pool, which I didn't use, and plenty of parking. Nice big supermarket and and a couple of small eateries in a strip mall just across the road, lots of other food options within a 1/2 mile. Only complaints were no ledge in the shower stall for shampoo and bath items, and the electrical plug under the TV console came out of the wall when I unplugged my phone charger. A bit pricey for a Motel 6 but considering the location, I wasn't surprised - overall, a pretty nice place to stay.

Room Tip: This isn't a huge place, so all the rooms are well-situated. There is plenty of parking and we h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Ill start by saying we had had a queen size bed and the bed nearly took up the entire floor space of the room. This room is tiny compared to other hotels similarly priced. No complaints about the bed, it was comfortable. There is small table that sits right next to the bed that you have to negotiate to even get in and out of the bed from one side. Not a huge deal unless you have mobility issues.
The shower in this particular room was less than clean and the water pressure fluctuated from an even pressure to a drizzle. They may have been having some pressure issues as the toilet took a couple flushes to clear out the bowl.

Now, on to our nightmare experience with customer service. I travel quite a bit and i'm pretty reasonable when it comes to low budget hotels. However, this experience was the worst I've ever experienced.
It started at 7:30 am on a Sunday morning. We were woken up by an angle grinder grinding on a metal railing right outside of our hotel door. There were also some welding being done which we could smell through the doors. But the grinding was the absolute worst. My girlfriend and I couldn't even hear ourselves talk and we were right next to each other in bed. After realizing the grinding wasn't going away, I made a call to the front desk and the girl at the time had no idea this was going on. She also had no authority to have it stopped. I asked for a manger and conveniently, no manager was available on a Sunday. I also asked to be moved to a different unit and there was no room available. Needless to say, the metal grinding went on until we checked out.
I understand that routine maintenance has to be done, but I would expect more on a Sunday in Napa. Additionally, if they were going to be doing work, then those 2 or 3 rooms should have been blocked from reserving.
I left a message for the Manager Monday morning and my call was not returned. I again called on Tuesday and talked with Maggie. I told her when we stayed before telling her the issue and her attitude changed to poor at best. After explaining the situation she became very defensive and suggested to me that the work didn't begin until after 9am. I told her that was incorrect and I have a time stamped photo of men working at 8am. She went on to say how the work had been scheduled for some time and that the contractor could not deviate from the schedule. I understood that, but why rent those rooms if you can forese an issue?
Nevertheless, she was not apologizing, would not even consider a partial credit, and quite frankly, was terribly rude and condescending.
I guess expecting a good nights sleep is unreasonable at this particular hotel.
Unfortunately, this Motel 6 is privately owned so the only thing customer service can do is log a complaint.
All in all, I would not stay here nor recommend staying here. If you have an issue, your not gonna get any resolution.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rebellion69
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Napa, responded to this review, November 6, 2013