“A weekend to remember forever!”

Milliken Creek Inn and Spa
Ranked #10 of 23 Napa B&B and Inns
Manitoba
“A weekend to remember forever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

Being from South-Africa, we miss our Cape winelands very much since living in Canada, so my hubby and I decided to visit the NAPA valley for my birthday.
We decided to pick the most romantic Inn recommended in our travel guides and websites and ALL applaused Milliken Creek Inn. We booked our stay 4 months ahead and since day 1 everybody I spoke to,was just fabulous! Michelle and Dayna was 2 angels and did everything possible to make our stay the best ever.
We arrived on a blazing hot Friday afternoon and were greated by a table with ice cold bottled waters and wine. Our room was ready and our luggage were taken to the room. The room was absolutely gorgeous (#6). It was in the main house with a balcony overlooking the river and gorgeous landscaped gardens.
Michelle made all our restaurant reservations for us ahead and left us a welcome note plus restaurant confirmations+driving instructions to get to each restaurant.
All the restaurants was exceptional and we got special tastings from the chefs because we were guests of Milliken Creek Inn!
How special is that!
Each night when we returned, our bed was turned down,homemade St.Helena chocolates on our pillows,candles lit, CD player on with lovely jazz filling the air.
The first night we also had a bottle of complimentary champagne waiting for us in the room.
We had Breakfast on our balcony each morning and it was to die for.The attention to detail really impressed us!
The wine tastings each night was fun and the wines lovely!
The last evening there was a chill in the air,so the staff litt the firepit on the deck and had blankets on all the chairs,so we sat outside at the cozy fire and had our wine there.
The Inn is so conveniently located and we were close to all the good wine trails.
We had an unbelievable time and were very sad to leave. We will never ever forget our special visit to Milliken Creek Inn. Hopefully we can return one day soon.....

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank lovetravelling77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
newport beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

We stayed at Milliken Creek inn for out honeymoon in early May 2007. The property itself was very nice, but the service level was unacceptable in our opinion. At $500.00 a night plus, we found that the room itself way to small for the price & that the woman who was working on the night that we arrived there was un-helpful and distant, almost snobish. We also felt very pressured to book spa treatments, even though we already had arrangments somewhere else. This was not a relaxing experience for us. We were looking for a spot where we could be romanitc and left alone, and we felt consistently pressured to do one thing or another. I will say, that I did like the beds and the view. There seemd like there should have been a better choice for breakfast though. At $500.00 + a night, we should have gotten better service over all. We might be back if things change, otherwise we will go back to staying at Auberge or Meadowood. Thank you.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The service levels
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank venere2007
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2007

Interesting B & B. Away from the noise, very elegant and posh. The staff was all very helpful. We checked in an hour early and our room was beautifully prepared.

The room is equipped with a nice Flat Screen TV with Tivo, Bose Stereo System, King Size Bed and a lovely set of light fixtures.

In the evening the turn down service brings you chocolate, dims the lights and prepares your bed.

The place is small and very low key. You will never be annoyed by the crowds. Our room was right in front of the creek . At night you could hear the birds singing and appreciate the stars.

The property has interesting complimentary services like All you can drink wine during the day in the lobby. A meet and greet hour from 6 to 7 with wine and cheese, a collection of DVDs, complementary water bottles in your room.

They gave us a great recommendation for a restaurant called Press. It is a fabulous steak house in Napa.

Milliken Creek is a place to go and relax. If you are going to Napa with the intention to go wild, this is definitly not the place to be at.

It is perfect for a weekend getaway.

The property also has a nice Spa and they even give you complimentary Champagne after a massage.

• Liked — Free Wine and WIFI
  • Disliked — To Close to Main Avenue
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turlock, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2007

As a GIFT for my 10th wedding anniversary my husband booked a night at the Milliken Creek Inn. We asked for the BEST room in the house for the occassion, the rate was $600 for the NIGHT! We arrived two hours before check in and they would not let us check in early. So we had lunch to kill the time (we had a 3 hr drive to Napa)

They gave us a lovely suite. It smelled like heaven, amazingly romantic bed, linens, fireplace and view of the creek. We were so happy to have a quiet retreat away from our kids!!

We decided to take a afternoon nap on the day of our arrival. Just as we fell asleep we heard the door to the building open, a couple checking in being shown to their room (right above ours) and they proceeeded to walk around normally above our heads but it was so LOUD! I told my husband, "if it's that noisy with them just walking normally, I can't imagine how loud it will get tonight after they've had wine and get romatntic!!! above our room" We called the front desk and they moved us to another room. NOT AS NICE FOR THE SAME PRICE!! A comp bottle of wine would have been nice for the downgraded room! Plus it had a strange fume or fuel smell.

The doors are not "hotel" doors, more like regular bedroom doors and the walls are THIN! We went out to dinner and returned after the night cap service.

The next day we both had facials reserved at their spa. I was the 1st client of the day, the entire spa was FREEZING (December). No heater was on during the entire night. My appt. was at 9am!! I undressed and slipped under the ICE COLD sheets. I shivered the entire hour. The este felt horribly for me, but still charged me full price. My hubby had the luxury of going right aftter me, so I warmed up the treatment bed for him!!

I mentioned my discomfort to the lady at the front desk when I checked out and she just looslely apologized, I paid out near $900 bill (with spa fees) and we headed home.

We would return during the Spring if we were the only guests in our building, the cost was half and if they had a warm spa!!

• Liked — Exclusive property...no children allowed
  • Disliked — Price, spa, noise
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SLAH_Rachel
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2006

The Milliken Creek Inn (MCI) was a nice place to stay. As promised, our room had a fireplace and stand alone tub, although there was not room for two which is what we had been lead to believe.

The negatives: the air conditioning did not function properly, even after we called it to the attention of the staff; the tub would slowly drain and need to be refilled after 5-10 minutes; the room with the toilet was tiny (in lieu of being graphic, I will leave it to your imagination); and, it was quite easy to hear the couple above us upstairs. We were in the main house, room #2.

The positives: the staff was courteous and attentive, offering to and setting up reservations for us at a restaurant and with a tour guide; the grounds were beautiful and peaceful; and, we enjoyed the wine tasting that was held in-house each evening.

I do not think that we will be returning to the MCI. It was a nice splurge for our honeymoon, but I could not be convinced it was worth the price per night to stay there.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chase4567
birmingham, al
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2006

Let me start with the negative: My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay in the Napa area where we stayed 2 nights at Kenwood and 3 nights at Milliken. I'm not sure if Kenwood truely spoiled us, but Milliken was not at all what I expected. I booked a "luxury" room with a balcony months in advance. I saw all the lovely rooms on their website and was really looking forward to our stay. Our room was in the main building and did have a balcony overlooking the Napa River, however, our balcony also overlooked the main patio/deck just below which made for very little privacy. Our room was OK and the bed very comfy, but the room was very small (I felt like I was sleeping in someone's rennovated attic room). The bathroom was SO TINY, only one person at a time could fit (we are not big people). Think cruise ship TINY. Seriously, this was ridiculous...If I were drying my hair, my husband could NOT fit in to wash his hands...again, we are NOT BIG PEOPLE! Around 6:00 a.m. every day the noise from the main stairs woke us up (the house is old and the stairs really creak)! Next morning, we discussed our issues with the inn and were told that is a luxury room, which we paid for, and the other rooms, which are outside the main building, are considerably more expensive (with taxes and the service fee, we paid close to $500/night). We were assured our room was always in great demand due to the wonderful view (which it does have). The grounds are extremely small. There is no bar, restaurant, pool, or hottub. There is a $10 fee to use a local gym-which I felt should have been complimentary.
On a positive note: The staff was very friendly. They were very polite and always seemed to help with directions or recommendations. The inn does a small complimentary wine tasting in the evenings starting at 6:00 featuring a local winery with a nice cheese/cracker spread. The breakfasts are good and you can enjoy them anywhere on the grounds. They are delivered in a cute basket. We chose to eat on our balcony each morning. The beds were very comfy and the spa products in the bathroom were great. The location is good for visiting wineries, just hop on Silverado Trail, and you are there. When it's turndown time, housekeeper lights candles and has soft music playing upon arrival back to room.

In my opinion, I should not have had to choose between a nice room or a nice view. Perhaps these issues are only with the main house rooms, but for the price, I believe there are much nicer properties in the area. If you choose this inn, my advice, is be certain you know in advance which room you are actually booking. The website does not show all the rooms (and does a GREAT job at making the property look much larger than it actually is). I would advise paying more money and staying in the rooms outside the main building. They seemed to be larger and offer more privacy. But if you are going to pay more money...check into other properties that offer more amenities. While we are NOT high maintenance people, I just don't feel Milliken delivered. When you price yourself into $500/night bracket, guests expect a higher level of EVERYTHING. If you don't mind the longer drive into Napa/Yountville/St. Helena, check out Kenwood Inn-WOW!

• Stayed May 2006
16 Thank smaudrey
San Diego, CA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2006

I read most of the reviews on here before taking my vacation in Napa last weekend, and I was a little nervous from previous things said...however upon arrival, all those fears completely melted away. This hotel is FABULOUS. The service was exceptional- they turned down our room with rose petals and tea lights, brought breakfast to our terrace, arrange reservations without needing to be asked....and the hotel/rooms are picture perfect. Really and truly luxurious and beautiful. It may be pricey, but every penny is well worth it for the fantastic accomodations and personalized experience that they offer. I HIGHLY recommend this for couples.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank BBowden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Bardessono
#2 of 6 in Yountville
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,279 reviews
River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Milliken Creek Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!