“Some info a little misleading...”

Milliken Creek Inn and Spa
Ranked #11 of 22 Napa B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2006

Let me start with the negative: My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay in the Napa area where we stayed 2 nights at Kenwood and 3 nights at Milliken. I'm not sure if Kenwood truely spoiled us, but Milliken was not at all what I expected. I booked a "luxury" room with a balcony months in advance. I saw all the lovely rooms on their website and was really looking forward to our stay. Our room was in the main building and did have a balcony overlooking the Napa River, however, our balcony also overlooked the main patio/deck just below which made for very little privacy. Our room was OK and the bed very comfy, but the room was very small (I felt like I was sleeping in someone's rennovated attic room). The bathroom was SO TINY, only one person at a time could fit (we are not big people). Think cruise ship TINY. Seriously, this was ridiculous...If I were drying my hair, my husband could NOT fit in to wash his hands...again, we are NOT BIG PEOPLE! Around 6:00 a.m. every day the noise from the main stairs woke us up (the house is old and the stairs really creak)! Next morning, we discussed our issues with the inn and were told that is a luxury room, which we paid for, and the other rooms, which are outside the main building, are considerably more expensive (with taxes and the service fee, we paid close to $500/night). We were assured our room was always in great demand due to the wonderful view (which it does have). The grounds are extremely small. There is no bar, restaurant, pool, or hottub. There is a $10 fee to use a local gym-which I felt should have been complimentary.
On a positive note: The staff was very friendly. They were very polite and always seemed to help with directions or recommendations. The inn does a small complimentary wine tasting in the evenings starting at 6:00 featuring a local winery with a nice cheese/cracker spread. The breakfasts are good and you can enjoy them anywhere on the grounds. They are delivered in a cute basket. We chose to eat on our balcony each morning. The beds were very comfy and the spa products in the bathroom were great. The location is good for visiting wineries, just hop on Silverado Trail, and you are there. When it's turndown time, housekeeper lights candles and has soft music playing upon arrival back to room.

In my opinion, I should not have had to choose between a nice room or a nice view. Perhaps these issues are only with the main house rooms, but for the price, I believe there are much nicer properties in the area. If you choose this inn, my advice, is be certain you know in advance which room you are actually booking. The website does not show all the rooms (and does a GREAT job at making the property look much larger than it actually is). I would advise paying more money and staying in the rooms outside the main building. They seemed to be larger and offer more privacy. But if you are going to pay more money...check into other properties that offer more amenities. While we are NOT high maintenance people, I just don't feel Milliken delivered. When you price yourself into $500/night bracket, guests expect a higher level of EVERYTHING. If you don't mind the longer drive into Napa/Yountville/St. Helena, check out Kenwood Inn-WOW!

• Stayed: May 2006
16  Thank smaudrey

Reviewed May 31, 2006

I read most of the reviews on here before taking my vacation in Napa last weekend, and I was a little nervous from previous things said...however upon arrival, all those fears completely melted away. This hotel is FABULOUS. The service was exceptional- they turned down our room with rose petals and tea lights, brought breakfast to our terrace, arrange reservations without needing to be asked....and the hotel/rooms are picture perfect. Really and truly luxurious and beautiful. It may be pricey, but every penny is well worth it for the fantastic accomodations and personalized experience that they offer. I HIGHLY recommend this for couples.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank BBowden
Reviewed March 30, 2006

This was our first trip to Napa, and Milliken was the perfect choice. At Milliken everything is tasteful, classy and warm, including the people. Since it was our first trip we relieved on Raney, Taylor and Megan to make reservations for restaurants, vineyards, etc. We were never disappointed. We loved it.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank osnarr
Reviewed March 30, 2006

My boyfriend and I were planning to stay here on our trip to Napa in April as the hotel was rated one of the most romantic inn by Zagats. However, I got concerned when I read some of the negative reviews and called to express my concerns and, if they were not addressed, cancel the reservation. After several calls (which were not returned) and e-mails - no one there asked why I was canceling the reservation and the only thing they asked or cared about was keeping the $50 cancellation fee (which is ridiculous compared to the amount we would have spent if we stayed there and the fact that I cancelled several months in advance). We made reservations at auberge du soleil instead - where the service is always good.

Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank himaintenanc
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Millken Creek Inn just this past weekend and wanted to pass on the incredible experience we had. I did not expect to have such great service all around, nor to enjoy our lodgings to the extent we did. We have stayed at other places in the area, but if you want to feel absolutely pampered and relaxed, these folks will do it for you. Make sure you do a massage at their spa as soon as possible. It will help you get utterly relaxed. I would go back in a heartbeat. We opened our balcony doors and left them like that for most of the day time we were in our room and took in the wonderful gardens. Although on the expensive side, it is worth it. We ran into a friend that had reserved a room on a more well known hotel and was not pleased. If you lodge here, you can rest assured you will have an unforgettable time. Make sure you enjoy their daily wine and cheese hour and their yummy breakfasts.

• Stayed: March 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 4, 2006

I agree with the previous reviewers who have given this inn a 5 star (blob) rating. The rooms, service and amenities are all first class. It has all the charm and privacy of a small-ish country inn combined with top luxuries you would expect from a modern 5-star hotel (which sounds like sensible combination but is a very rare occurence!)

We loved the romantic well-appointed room, super comfortable bed, jacuzzi tub, power shower, continuous background jazz music, l'occitance toiletries, sumptuous bathrobes, lit small candles with the turndown service, simple but delicious breakfast served anywhere you want it, wine tasting in the early evening, etc. The high level of attention to detail in every respect is highly commendable.

While we felt slightly pressured into booking a massage (they pointed out at check-in that they noticed we hadn't booked a massage), I'm glad we gave in as it was the best aromatherapy massage I have ever had (and I have tried a few in several spas in several countries!).

The location is quiet and secluded which is nice but a bit of a drive from the popular wineries and restaurants in St Helena. We stayed at the Inn at Southbridge in St Helena a couple of years ago and that was nice and very conveniently located but not as luxurious/romantic/friendly as Milliken Creek (and the relative prices reflect that too which is fair).

This is not a place for the price sensitive as the room rates (and add the service charge - as no tips)are hard to swallow. However for a special occasion / with a special someone, you will have memories that will be cherished for a long time and your standards for romantic country inns may have reached a new level as this is hard to beat (in terms of everything in the room and service).

• Stayed: December 2005
14  Thank BVHL
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 27, 2005

My husband surprised me with a vacation to Sonoma. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect such perfection. Once we arrived in the beautiful fireplace suite, the room had a fireplace with romantic music playing and a bottle of wine with fresh flowers waiting for us. We had a couple’s massage pre arranged that was out of this world. The staff arranged a great romantic restaurant for us to go to that evening. Upon arriving back to the room, the fireplace was roaring with the bed turned down. The next morning, we had a very cute and great tasting breakfast delivered to us in a picnic basket. We set it up upon the deck overlooking the water. It was perfect.

I am a travel agent and can tell you; this is one of the best places I have ever stayed! Just make sure to plan and pre arrange with the staff for what it is you are looking for. They are more than happy to accommodate.

• Stayed: October 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
#3 of 30 in Napa
Inn on Randolph
Inn on Randolph
#5 of 22 in Napa

Been to Milliken Creek Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!