“Wonderful Start to our Honeymoon”

Milliken Creek Inn and Spa
Ranked #11 of 22 Napa B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for the first leg of our Wine Country honeymoon and were very pleased with the service and accommodations. I booked in my maiden name and worked with the concierge service at that time to make some dinner and tour reservations for when we arrived in Napa. Upon check-in, I gave the woman my new married name and was delighted when we arrived at our first dinner to find that she had called the restaurant to change the name with the host. As a new bride, I thought that was an especially thoughtful detail for the staff to note and was tickled pink.

The room was great - had a beautiful view of the river and courtyard fountain from our private deck. Bath amenities and spa tub were wonderful, and the day spa services and relaxation area were also very good. I would have preferred to have a more varied breakfast menu as you get at more personal bed and breakfasts where the hosts customize the menu, but it was tasty food and great to have it set up on our porch to eat in our robes.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gina E

Reviewed January 21, 2008

We just loved it. It has everything I like: mainly attention to detail. It's just very tastefully appointed....which is not necessarily the case with a lot of the hotels up here that decorate with heavy-handed winery motif (you know, stained glass windows of grapes and wine bottles?). Milliken is first class and you can't beat the creek and yard overlooking it. They were soo helpful when helping us book a great restaurant (we went to Ad Hoc...loved it). Enjoy!

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank NYC/LA
Reviewed December 27, 2007

My partner and I stayed at this hotel in early December. It is a very beautiful location and set up. But the staff was not service oriented at all, as a matter of fact, I don't think there was anyone working over the age of 19 or 20. A place like this should have experienced staff, who give a deep sigh when asked a small task. In the morning durring what I assume is the Breakfast preparation, we could hear them singing, and gossiping through the walls of our room. The spa was nice, but we found the staff there to be a bit pretentious. So, over all, not a good experience. It was like Milliken High School, not an upscale Inn.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank IsabellaBlue
Reviewed November 30, 2007

My husband and I booked this a year in advance, which is highly recommended, as it's pretty high in demand...which I'm not surprised!!! This is literally the BEST experience I've ever had compared to resorts and hotels I've ever stayed in. Magic hour was great and we made it back every evening to enjoy this downtime, after a day of discovering the wineries of Napa. The staff was VERY polite, accomodating and helpful, but discreet at the same time. It was very much a romantic getaway for us. The grounds are well maintained and everything in the main house and our room was very clean. The turn down service was wonderful too! candles lit, the bed turned down, soft jazz playing in the background...and the hydrotherapy tub too, was delightful!! Can't forget to mention the breakfasts brought to our door every morning...to DIE for...very fresh! wonderful selection! I simply can't say enough about EVERYthing at this Inn. I would highly recommend it to anyone and look forward to having the opportunity to stay there again.

3  Thank avid-trvlr-in-trning
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We stayed at Milliken Creek Inn in early September. We found it online & got in because of a cancellation. We stayed two nights, and I think the experience was just ok. We payed over $700 per night. There was a 10% service charge PER DAY (!) that we were NEVER told about. For the service we recieved, we would have rather been in control of this ourselves. When we brought it up at check out, we were not treated well. And with a sigh & an attitude they took the charges off of our bill. The room was beautiful and the setting lovley, but we consantly felt as if we were either a bother to the staff or they just did not have time for us. We had to haul our bags to our room ourselves, no one EVER asked if they could help. The concierge services were lacking that evening as well, again we felt as if we were bothering her. We had a wonderful dinner at a restaurant in Yountville. Over all I think it is a very nice property, but they need to remember that people are paying for luxury, not attitude.

2  Thank WineMagazine
Reviewed September 9, 2007

We just returned from 3 nights of vacating here. We had high expectations with this property based on the website and award accolades, however, we were overall disappointed with our stay here. The bottomline is that they are not service oriented. They are pretty informal and lax with minimal attention to detail.

We stayed in room 3 at a rate of $625 per night with a $62 service daily charge in addition to room tax around $70 per day, which therefore runs near the upper $700s daily. So we were hoping for top-notch service.

Out of our 3 nights, we only received turn-down service the last evening. We were always out of our room from 5 - 10 pm each night. After our first night, I brought this to the attention of the main office staff person and she apologized and said it would not happen again. Unfortunately, it did the next night. I was completely taken aback that they were so sloppy about turn-down.

Because we did not have turn-down service the first 2 evenings, we had to call 2 of the 3 mornings for breakfast service as they are suppose to leave you a breakfast ordering card during turn- down. Their breakfast is above average but I woudn't call it gourmet. They offer the same selection every morning: choice of french omelet, lox and bagel, yogurt/granola, and waffles that come with cofffee, OJ and 3 pasteries from the Bouchon bakery each day, which always were the same. From our past experience at other bed and breakfasts in the Napa and Sonoma area, the breakfast menu tends to be more unique and creative. On our last day, I had asked for our breakfast to arrive at 7:45 am as we had an early flight and this request was not honored. Our breakfast arrived at 8:10 am. The front desk girl told me that it really isn't available until 8:00 am. However, they claim in their marketing materials that they will accomodate early travel requests, which I attempted to arrange the day prior to our departure. Again, not customer oriented service.

Room 3 is in the main house. The bathroom is a powder room and outside of this is where a shower/bath combo is located. My husband and I could not share the bathroom when getting ready because of the tight quarters. We live in a large city and are accustomed to smaller spaces. This however is just poor space design planning. The bed linens and outside deck were the only redeeming room perks. I would be extremely disappointed if you had no outside space and only a few rooms do.

Along the property, you could also sense the lack of details. They have a lovely outside seating area with dead looking plants in large urns. The also have morning coffee set up for self-service and twice they were dry. Finding the staff was a difficult task.

Some perks to mention, the spa facility is great in addition to the treatments, the collection of DVD for use, the use of the laptop, the view, the diffusers in each room, the nice bed and linens and bath robes.

I guess our feelings are that we typically opt for 5 star properties and can overlook some issues but never have we felt that a property has struck out on so many levels. They do not have enough staff presence on sight and their staff have not been properly trained. Pehaps, the issue boils down to lack of upper management leadership.

• Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank lkb4
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We stayed at Milliken Creek Inn on our 5th trip to the wine country. The office hours are from 8am to 10pm but they will make arrangements for you if you are arriving later. We arrived about 9.45pm after a long trip from NY. The bell boy and the front desk person were still around and welcomed us to the inn. We had 2 very large bags as we were on vacation for over a week, 2 backpacks and a purse. The bell boy took one look at us and walked the other way. We struggled all the bags up the narrow stair case alone, making multiple runs.
Our room was $600 + during peak season but during off season is only around $350. The room was small, THE SHOWER WAS NOT IN THE BATHROOM !!!! IT WAS IN THE BEDROOM BECAUSE THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH ROOM IN THE BATH ROOM FOR THE SHOWER. The bathroom was literally the size of a closet.
The grounds of the inn are beautiful but it is really really not worth the money. Even if money is no issue you will not be satisfied with the level of service at this inn.

2  Thank prattc54
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
SENZA Hotel
#3 of 30 in Napa
The Meritage Resort and Spa
The Cottages of Napa Valley

Been to Milliken Creek Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!