“Sick Sushi Chef”

Cuisines: Japanese
East Haddam, Connecticut
“Sick Sushi Chef”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The service was efficient and the sushi was good. But, the sushi chef (and I was sitting at the sushi bar) was obviously sick. He was coughing while making sushi and would take a few steps away from the bar to loudly (and productively, from the sound of it) blow his nose. Not acceptable. Ever.

• Visited February 2013

Napa, California
“Sadly no longer a favorite.”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This review is highly unfortunate but in my opinion needed. Hopefully the owners will read it and pick up the slack before its too late. I used to highly enjoy this place. As a matter of fact, I used to visit this place on an up to weekly basis. Although mostly biweekly to triweekly. I would frequent with my pops and sister, friends, and dates at times. Service has never been at its best, however it used to not be horrible either. I followed the sushi chef from a restaurant by the name of Bay Sushi in Fairfield to Sushi Haku.

The quality of the Sushi has always been on the fresh side of the scale, except for one particular occasion where it was slightly "fishy". The sushi rolls are creative and presentation is taking. Which make you want to revisit. Perhaps the only reason since the service is its weakest area. The sashimi and nigiri have never disappointed.

I took some time before I wrote this review. The reason for which I am giving it a poor review is the following; I had remained loyal to this Sushi joint for sometime, until one night in February.

My belief is if you are a business owner or manager and advertise you will be open until a certain time. Then you stick by it. Do not close the door on your customers, or potential customers earlier than stated.

Well on this particular night, the person with whom I was accompanied by and I approached the front door of Sushi Haku. We found the front door to the business to be closed. The sign on the front window had a sign saying they closed at 9:30PM. We saw the staff inside as they drew their attention away from the front door, as we stood there for several seconds. We could see inside the restaurant and saw several people eating inside. The time on our phones and watches told us it was 8:45 PM.

We walked away from the front door and entered to our vehicle. As the two of us sat inside our car we commented on how hungry we were, as we had not eaten since noon-ish. We did not want to settle for PB and J's so I decided to call inside and ask what time they closed.

I placed the call inside and saw the older female answer the phone. I asked about their closing time. She took a long pause. Then answered, "between 9PM and 9:30PM." I told her the front door was locked. She responded with a clearly apparent unsurprised "ohh", as approached the front door with keys in her hands. We exited our vehicle and decided to try it a second time.

No hello?? Only a simple irritated look on the face of a person who had seen us at their venue several times before... We sat at our table. The table was clearly dirty. No menu's were brought out to us. However we were immediately asked if we knew what we were having. The chef and lady who had just unlocked the door for us, exchanged a few words in Japanese. The tone in their voice made it apparent they were irritated if not worse. We asked to see the menu. After ordering a a few of their specialty rolls they came out to the table. I asked if they minded wiping our table down or providing us with napkins to do it ourselves.

I had ordered an iced tea. No refill was ever brought out. Nor did any of the staff come to our table for the remainder of our dinner. It was not until they dropped off the tab and took off with our plate with one piece of sushi left on it that we saw them again. We looked at each other as if asking, "did that just happen?" As we exited the restaurant, we made it very clear to one of the only members of the wait staff that has actually given us good service in the past about our experience. He apologized on behalf of the entire staff. He did however say they had been busy earlier and maybe they just wanted to get out of there early.

The reason I decided to take sometime before I wrote the review was so that I would write the facts moreover the emotions behind the experience. After this evening I checked other online reviews on different sites for Sushi Haku. I found others to have had similar experiences.

Needless to say, I have found myself a new place to take my patron-ism to.

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank Eagle_110163
Napa, California
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I love Sushi. I have been to a lot of Sushi Restaurants. Not this one. I walked in and there was no "Hello". The chef yelled from behind the Sushi bar that I could sit where ever I wanted. I lady came & gave me a menu & asked if I would like something to drink. "Water with lemon & a straw, please." She brought it back & and asked me what I would like. "A Rock & Roll, Sake Nigiri & Hamachi Nigiri, please." She brought my order back & I had to take a double take at it. That was the last I saw of her until I called her over for my bill about 10 minutes later, as she & the other servers were busy talking.
Ok, I know Sushi is a little on the pricey side, but as long as it's good, I don't mind. The Rock & Roll came in such tiny little pieces that I was shocked. The Nigiris had virtually no taste! I mean nothing! Very disappointing!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank sls1047
Oklahoma
“Good Food, Pleasant Atmosphere, Recommended”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

On a recent visit to Napa I went looking for someplace to satisfy my sushi craving. I found Sushi Haku on another review site and decided to try it out. This is a relatively small, bright and cheerful, clean, and friendly place. I sat at the sushi bar so that I could watch the three chefs doing their work. The staff were very helpful, attentive, and outgoing making me feel very welcome. I ordered a rainbow roll, spicy tuna, and Alaska. The sushi was great - fresh and tasty with generous portions. The staff greeted several customers by name so I assume they were regulars. I was very pleased with the service and the food. In fact, I returned the next night and tried one of the nigiri/sashimi Haku combinations and the Special Jeff Roll (tuna on spicy tuna!). Again - fresh, generous, and very tasty. When in Napa again, i'll return to Sushi Haku.

• Visited February 2012