“First Class”

Ranked #3 of 23 Napa B&B and Inns
Venice, fl.
“First Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2005

This is a First Class B&B in all categories but one. If you need to conduct any business via the internet their wireless connection is terrible. You will be better off connecting to the phone line. If you are used to cable or high speed wireless this will drive you crazy.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank anycurrentsea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Chevy Chase, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2005

My wife and I stayed at 1801 First as part of a group of 4 couples in September 2005. We had a great experience, and everyone loved the inn. We stayed in the Amica Dolcetto suite upstairs, and loved it. Beautifully furnished, fireplace, very quiet. While 1801 is on a busy street, the windows seemed to keep the noise out for us. The breakfasts were prepared by a chef, and were truly exceptional. For $15 extra, they'll serve you breakfast in bed. The evening wine and snacks reception was also very nice, and held in a pretty courtyard. I had a massage, and it was very good. The inn is also very conveniently located to the main route in Napa, and you can get to many vineyards in 15-20 minutes. In short, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank PeterChevyChase
stowe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2005

We stayed at both 1801 First and the Candlelight Inn during our visit to Napa. The 1801 was elegant and had a luxurious "tone" about it, but, for us, the biggest problem was traffic noise. We did not have individually controlled air conditioning, and the first night it was too warm with the AC off. We had to open the windows, but the traffic was noisy all night long. It's right on two busy streets. The second night, the AC was on and we slept much better. Not much of a garden or yard to enjoy. Very upscale amenities, unusually good evening hors d'oeuvres (2 or 3 offerings--they have a full time chef on staff who also does their breakfast), complimentary wine and soft drinks, exquisite gourmet breakfasts (not good for those who like basic bacon & eggs, however). I personally prefer not to have to sign up for a breakfast time, which they required, along with which choices you wanted for breakfast, hung on your door by 7 PM. No turndown service. Wine tastings led by representatives of the wineries right at the Inn--very nice--with hors d'oeuvre pairing specifically for the wines being poured. In-room massage and facials, etc. I was personally very turned off by never having even seen the owner. They have 4 full time innkeeper/concierge people, 4 housekeepers, and a full time chef. I believe they said they have 10 rooms. It was run more like a small boutique hotel than even an upscale B&B. I did very much appreciate their making reservations at Del Dotto winery for us. It was hands-down the most interesting winery tour of our nine days in the area. As for 1801 First...Bottom line: It's probably fine for you if you are from an urban area and the noise would not bother you and if you don't mind never meeting the owner. At a B&B or Inn, I expect a peaceful night's sleep and at some point to have met the owner. For these reasons, I preferred the Candlelight Inn.

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank buggleboy
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2005

Just returned from a three-night stay at 1801 First as a surprise for my 30th birthday. It was a perfect place to stay to celebrate this milestone.

My partner reserved the Carriage House for us, which is in a separate little house apart from the main building. The room was beautifully decorated in earth tones (brown, beige, merlot, sage). The main living area of the house had a king size bed with very nice linens and comfortable pillows. Adjacent the bed were two chocolate leather chairs with ottoman for reading and relaxing. There is a two-sided fireplace on the wall in front of the bed which can also be seen in front of the two-person jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. There is a wall-mounted flat panel TV, DVD and a small collection of recent DVDs above the fireplace.

In the bathroom, aside from the two-person jacuzzi tub, there was a walk-in shower which had a knack for flooding the rest of the bathroom if you were not too careful. The bath products were exquisite: Gilchrist and Soames. Also included were bath salts, which came in handy with the jacuzzi tub. It was very relaxing and romantic to unwind after a long day in the jacuzzi tub with the fireplace going. The towels were very nice, nice and full, with a lovely scent of lavender. The robes provided were very nice, very comfy.

On the other side of the bathroom was a little sitting area with a table and two chairs. There was also an empty refrigerator for use during the stay. They provide you with two complimentary bottles of water in your refrigerator every day. There is also a set of two wine glasses, wine opener and other useful items to have some wine in your room.

Double french doors open from the living/bed area out into a little backyard garden area with white rattan loungers and chairs, a table with umbrella and a very cool fountain. When the weather agrees, this is the area where they have a wine tasting with local wines and hors d'ouvres from 5:30-6:30 p.m. each night.

Everyone we encountered at the inn were very nice, professional and helpful. Check in was a breeze and we were personally escorted to our room and shown the different amenities the roon had to offer. Waiting for us in the room was a setup of three chcolate truffles made by their executive chef. They were delicious. The wine tasting the first night was sponsored by A Dozen Vintners. They had 4 different types of wines to sample and the chef at the inn created three hors d'ouvres to sample with the wines. They also had olives and nuts spread out to munch on besides the hors d'ouvres. The other nights, the wine tastings were done by the inn employees themselves, offering two local wines and, again, hors d'ouvres to sample with the wines. The wine tastings were wonderful. A nice touch before heading out to dinner.

The breakfasts, as previously reported, were excellent-- especially the morning of my birthday. They really do outdo themselves with the breakfast. They start you off with the bread course-- three different breads, scones, danishes, croissants, etc. that the chef has baked for that day. Then comes the fruit course. . .we had a mango banana smoothie one day, berries with yogurt and balsamic vinegar another day (which was amazing). After that comes the entree course. You get to pick between the "spa" selction and the "indulgent" selection. Either one looks and tastes great so sometimes it was hard to make a decision! You also get unlimited coffee, milk, orange juice and water. In addition, there is a continental breakfast buffet that you can sample if you aren't already busting at the seams with all the other food I have already mentioned. Breakfast was simply wonderful.

You also have 24-hour access to the main inn building, where some of the smaller rooms are located, and you can come in and get freshly baked coockies, soft drinks, coffee, water, and other snacks, all complimentary. Again, another nice touch to be able to get free munchies instead of paying the usual ridiculous mini-bar prices at luxury hotels.

The inn is located on the corner of Jefferson and First Street. It is on a main street, but we hardly heard any street noise in the room. The inn is very closely situated to downtown Napa, so boutiques and restaurants are not far away.

I highly recommend 1801 First if you are looking for a unique luxury experience during your time in Napa. I will definitely make it a point to stay there again in the future. I also highly recommend dinner at Celadon in downtown Napa, next door to the Napa River Inn. As well as making a trip to the Clos Pegase winery near Calistoga for a unique wine and art experience.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank ChicagoVuitton75
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2005

We stayed here for 2 nights in the Viognier Suite. The suite was decorated beautifully and was spotlessly clean. There was a tray of handmade truffles sitting next to the bed and a note welcoming us to the Inn. The evening wine receptions served tasty appetizers and they had a private wine tasting one evening which gave us a chance to sit down with the owner of the winery. The breakfasts were amazing, their in-house chef did a fabulous job. We had our breakfast delivered to our room for a small fee, but the dining area was very nicely laid out as well. The staff was so friendly and professional, they printed out walking and driving directions for our dinner venue. I saw a few other B&B close by, but none of them even compared to 1801. The only drawback to the room we were in was the road noise, if you like to sleep late this room would probably not be a good choice since the bay windows face the street. Although, I noticed when I turned the AC unit on it our room I couldn't even hear the street noise anymore. I did not hear any other guests in their rooms though, during our entire stay. The Inn is within close proximity to restaurants and downtown Napa, we walked to dinner both evenings. They had snacks and juices/drinks available in their dining area 24 hours a day, which was a really nice touch. I would definitely stay here again, an absolute gem!

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank CATrvl08
Westchester County, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2005

I admit it - I am a hotel snob. Six years of business travel from Hong Kong to London to Chicago to San Diego has given me a high sense of hotel expectations. While I read some very good things about 1801 First, I admit I was hesitant about staying at a B&B. Let me simply say that from the moment I walked into the inn all of my concerns melted away like that famous Napa Valley fog.

The staff is great and very courteous. We stayed in the Noble Fir suite, which they claimed was the smallest one, and it was amazing. Not small at all - especially for NYC or London standards. A beautiful fireplace, a great soaking tub and probably the best bed I have ever slept on rounded out the amenities. The wine tasting at night was great, especially when they brought a local wine maker inn.

I love places that are not crowded and that give you an opportunity to feel special and secluded. 1801 First achieved all of that and then some. I highly recommend this inn.

• Stayed April 2005