“Fantastic B&B”

1801 First Luxury Inn
Ranked #3 of 22 Napa B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights while touring Napa. We got to know Carrie, one of the owners, and Kali and Felice, during our stay. All of them took the time to get to know us while still respecting our privacy. They were extremely helpful in making reservations and providing suggestions for restaurants, wineries, and tours. The fresh made breakfasts each morning were absolutely delicious, as was the coffee (we are big coffee drinkers)! They were especially accommodating to my vegetarian diet. We stayed in the cottage in the back and loved our room, right by the garden. The nightly wine and cheese hour was delicious, the perfect way to wind down after touring wineries all day, and also allowed us to chat with our fellow B&B-mates. We truly enjoyed our stay at 1801 First and have already discussed returning there with friends. Thank you!

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage separate from the main house, which we loved.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1801First, Manager at 1801 First Luxury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Hi Shira F,

Thank you for the lovely review; It sounds like you really enjoyed each aspect of your stay and that couldn't make us happier! In particular, I loved your note about feeling at home yet having personal space. We so enjoy getting to know all of our guests but respect that you are here for an intimate getaway - and we're glad to hear that you loved yours.

Until next time,

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We were greeted with a smile, the rooms were clean, the nights sleep restful and peaceful, breakfast was beyond what I expected! The owners were so sincerely pleasant, they truly want you to have the best vacation. They had helpful hints on what to see and where to eat. What a charming location that you can walk to restaurants and shops from. Loved the backyard wine social every evening. The decor and style of the inn was very well done. Cookies and coffee always available. Perfect place to unwind and enjoy a glass of wine.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1801First, Owner at 1801 First Luxury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

To Toby B,
Thank you for posting your review of our little Inn! We are so happy that all of you enjoyed your vacation with us! And thank you so much for complimenting our service and housekeeping. We always try to give every guest the best quality of service and hospitality. And we hope we exceeded your expectations! I had fun conversing with you and your friends at breakfast. Discussing about eateries and wineries always puts me in a great mood!
Our wine hours can be very entertaining. We love when our guests like to make the hour a social gathering and spend time talking with the other travelers. And the wine and assortment of cheese doesn't hurt either!
Subtle details can sometimes be the finishing touch to any establishment. Thank you for noticing our attention to detail and style of decor.
We hope you can join us again and have a fun and relaxed getaway with us soon!

Cheers,

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

My experience at 1801 first was simply superb. Excellent service, wonderfully appointed rooms, warm and beautiful patio, sumptuous breakfast and most helpful owners & staff. My friends and I had a wonderful time and look forward to coming back to visit someday!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Hi Zain M,

It was a delight to have you and your group join us and I'm so happy that you all enjoyed yourselves. We're already looking forward to next time!

All the best,

Reviewed April 26, 2014

First, we are not the B&B kind of couple due to bad experiences in the past but 1801 First changed our minds! Our original plan was only to stay 1 night but after we greeted by Kali and shown our room, my husband booked 1 more night, then we ended up staying a total of 4 nights. When we got to our room there were hand rolled truffles and note waiting for us! The room was very tastefully decorated and very comfortable as is the whole house. The charm of an 100 year old Victorian style home is a beautiful sight. Carrie and Blair, the owners, were there daily. Carrie served us breakfast 2 of the 4 days and Felice the other 2. Each morning the magicians in the kitchen, Richard and/or Gregory, prepared a lovely breakfast. My husband has a tree nut allergy and they took great care to make sure his food didn't come in contact with tree nuts. Their croissants,muffins and scones were amazing! Kali, Felice and Carrie were so knowledgable when it came to suggesting wineries, tours and restaurants. They were more than willing to set up any appointments and reservations. Felice even printed out maps, gave us a tasting voucher for 2 and packed us cookies to go. The wine hour each evening in the garden patio was always great. We would socialize with other people at the inn and bonded with a few of them. Every night when we returned to our room Luisa and Maria had cleaned our room and had it looking beautiful with the next mornings menu on our bed. Everyone who works so hard at 1801 is truly amazing. Carrie told us that they would package and ship our wine home if we hadn't made any arrangements. On the day of check out we left 1801 First with a hug from Carrie. This was more than just a Bed & Breakfast, it was a remarkable experience. If I could rate beyond excellent I would. These people deserve more than an excellent. Now, if I could have figured out how to ship kumquats from their tree home...... :)Thank you Blair and Carrie ( Owners of the "Tookie House"), Kali and Felice ( The Amazing Concierge), Richard and Gregory ( The Magicians in the Kitchen) and Luisa and Maria ( The Wonderful Housekeepers)

We look forward to being able to stay with you again in the future.

Heather and Josh Rubin

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1801First, Owner at 1801 First Luxury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

To Heather R,
Wow! Thank you so much for the substantial and well thought out review! At first, you were originally booked for one night. But because you felt so comfortable and had a positive vibe from our Inn, you stayed the whole week! That is such a compliment! And we love it when guests have in instant connection with our other guests and end up having late night talks and social hours during their stay. It makes us truly feel like a "family" Inn. And we enjoyed hearing about your children, wine travels, and...zip lining! Blair and I are going to have to do that some day!

It was so sweet and kind to mention our entire staff. And it was such a clever way of doing it.Blair and I are so fortunate to have them and love to hear others praise them for their hard work. We are truly blessed! We hope you can join us again and just take in what Napa has to offer. And you definitely did just that! Heather and Josh, you were such a pleasure and we are thrilled you loved your vacation! For all of us at 1801, we look forward too seeing you again and all the best to you and your family! :)

Take Care,

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This review is way over due...but better late than never! My husband and I stayed here for our first anniversary in November 2013, and I could not more highly recommend the 1801 First Luxury Inn. This trip was a lot of firsts for us - first anniversary, first trip to San Francisco, first time in Napa, and first time staying at an inn. I never thought I would be a B&B/inn kind of traveler....but this place has changed my mind for certain. I loved every moment of our three night stay. Highlights: 1) The staff is amazing - two of our mornings there we were waited on by the couple who owns the inn. They are so kind and accommodating. The other staff members are just as great. We loved spending our breakfast time or afternoon wine & cheese hour chatting with them about the area and receiving excellent recommendations on places to visit in Napa Valley. 2) Our room was absolutely beautiful. We stayed in one of the upstairs rooms - personal fireplace, soaking tub, shower, separate seating area, and a dream of a bed. We had originally booked a downstairs room but received a complimentary upgrade closer to our visit. Talk about service! 3) The food is so good. I’m gluten-intolerant, and they went above and beyond to not just make sure I didn’t get sick, but to make me delicious gluten free muffins and croissants. I’ve never felt so spoiled. The menu is delicious and accommodates a wide range of breakfast preferences. 4) LOCATION!! The inn is in the heart of Napa. There are many great restaurants and wine bars that are within walking distance. My husband and I barely used the car we rented. I fell in love with this inn. I cannot wait to return. You should definitely make this a part of your next trip to Napa. Or use it as a reason to go to NAPA!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Rachel W,
What a wonderful gesture to write a review after all this time! Thank you so much for thinking of us! We are so glad you enjoyed spending your first wedding anniversary in our little Inn. Breafast and wine hours can be very entertaining not only for our guests, but the staff too! We love hearing guests share stories and experiences about their wine travels with us. And we always are here to help with recommending restaurants and tours whenever guests ask. So we are glad you were happy with the places that we selected.

It's very important to us to take our guests' dietary needs so seriously. Thank you for mentioning your gluten free breakfast in such a positive way. Compliments to the chefs!

Rachel, thank you again for posting your great experience with us! We truly appreciate it. Hope to see you both again for your next anniversary and the years to come! :)

All the best,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at the beautiful 1801 First Luxury Inn for three nights last week. It was our first time to the Napa area and we are so happy we chose there to stay. From our first encounter with Kalli upon check in, we knew it was going to be a wonderful stay. After we got over the beauty of our suite (suite 5, upstairs) we relaxed a bit in the garden. So pretty! Happy hour was served every evening at 5:30. It was nice to mingle with the other guests or simply relax after a day of touring and tasting. The owner, Blair made it a point to come one evening and introduce himself and share some stories about the area. 1801 provided some tasting passes for us although we didn't get the chance to use them because we had scheduled some tours on our own. If they suggest that you take a tour with Platypus, I would strongly recommend you go (but that's a whole other review). Carrie (the owners wife) was always so helpful as well. On the morning we were departing, she called ahead to one of the wineries she suggested we visit. They were waiting for us with open arms and couldn't have been nicer. What a nice thing to do. Every breakfast was amazing. One morning we just kept it simple and had yogurt with fruit and granola and even that was delicious. The Inn is spotless and no detail is unattended to. I would recommend this beautiful Inn to anyone I know who visits the area. The proximity to downtown Napa was very convenient too! Thank you 1801 for making this such a memorable vacation. I wish we could have spent all our days there! Hope we can return some day!

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room that faced the front of the Inn. The street noise was not a problem for us...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1801First, Owner at 1801 First Luxury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Paula C,
Thank you for the thoughtful and insightful review! Everyone here at 1801 are so glad you enjoyed your vacation here! Thank you for praising our breakfast and wine hours. We love talking and socializing with our guests. And thank you for noticing and mentioning our service, housekeeping, and the chefs' delicious meals! We always strive to give our guests impeccable service and friendly hospitality. And we truly appreciate your kind and generous words. We hope you can join us again in our little Inn and share more special memories!

Take Care Paula and John,

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had a lovely stay at 1801 First! Our Casa was great and everything was clean and neat. Kalli , Carrie & Blair were great hosts and the staff was nice as well! We asked for a Vegan breakfast and they were provided us with Soy Butter and almond milk for our breakfast. The hash was fantastic and I'm sure the chef could have done a mean tofu scramble - thats the only additional recommendation I would make. The Casa we stayed in was way too cozy (not a bad thing!) and they had a cute DVD library in the main house. We were drenched with the smell of jasmine and orange trees as we we entered the casa. It was like a 90s throwback to work with a limited movie selection - the fireplace in the room was a bit temperamental but worked throughout our stay. The bed was perfect and not too plush or soft. Overall a great accommodation and I would definitely recommend 1801.

Room Tip: Casa de dolce is great ! It does have thin walls as the main kitchen shares a wall but the neighbors...
1  Thank varun a
1801First, Manager at 1801 First Luxury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Hi varun a,

We are so glad that you took the time to share your experience with everyone! While it is true that we ask for limited last minute changes to our menus we welcome advance notice for any dietary needs and are so glad that you enjoyed your vegan entree options.

The neighbor for your cottage is actually our on-site innkeeper and they take the utmost care to make sure they do not disturb our guests. In fact, the walls must not be too thin because she swears she never hears a peep out of our guests!

We look forward to (and will peruse tofu scramble recipes for) your next stay with us!

Best,