“Great place, one of the best values in Napa.”
Review of Napa Winery Inn

Napa Winery Inn
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Overall:
This is a nice looking and well located hotel. Choice Hotel brands can be dodgy sometimes, but this one is a real gem for the brand. The location near the city of Napa makes it convenient to most wineries in the Napa valley and Sonoma County. The staff are nice, there is plenty of parking and free wine in the evening. The ONLY down side to this hotel is the lack of a fitness center.

Property:
Nice looking property and in good order. The carpets were clean and everything was well kept. It is clearly a older property, but everything is updated and kept well. Plenty of shaded parking is available and there are two restaurants beside the hotel (one shares the parking lot). Both restaurants are good, Fume was pricier and more upscale, but both are tasty and reasonably priced, for Napa anyway.

Lobby:
Nice entry area with two desk positions and a breakfast area with a flat screen TV. This is also where the evening wine tasting is served.

Room:
We had a room facing north, so not on the street (facing the parking lot). The room had the standard flat screen TV, desk/table and chairs, bed, and bathroom. It was tastefully decorated and nice. The AC was cold and worked well.

Internet:
Free wifi is available throughout the hotel. The speed was fine for casual browsing. There is also a PC in the lobby that can be used for browsing and printing.

Dining:
The breakfast was good, typical hotel fare. Eggs (boiled and scrambled), bacon, bagels, cereal, etc. The real star was the free wine and cheese tasting in the evening. The pours were generous and the cheese was good. Other hotels seem to push sales of the wines or visits to the winery, but this one does not do that. They always had a red and white available and will not hesitate to open a new bottle if needed.

Staff:
Staff at this property are great, very friendly and helpful.

Location:
Near the city of Napa and close to all the wineries in the Napa Valley and not far from Sonoma. Overall we found the location easy to get in and out of and perfect. If/when we return I believe this will be our fist choice.

3  Thank Stephen Y
Liz A, Front Office Manager at Napa Winery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear TampaSteve,

I must say this is one of the best reviews. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thorough review. It is greatly appreciated. I loved the photos.

I have been at this property for 21 years, and I have never been more proud to work here than I have in the past year. The renovations and upgrades that have been put into this little “Gem” have been great. From the new beds, bedding, linen, flat screen televisions, carpet, brand new lobby. The new Lobby Café where our complimentary hot breakfast is served each morning and where our complimentary wine tasting is each evening, with new hardwood floors. The great thing is that when we finish one improvement, we continue on to more improvements. Continually changing and evolving to help our guests have a wonderful experience while they are visiting us. That is why it is so nice that you posted your review. We love to hear that it is working, that our staff is friendly and welcoming; our rooms are clean and shiny. We share all of our reviews with our staff daily. Good and not so good. This is how we know what works and what does not work.

Thank you again. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We recently hosted a large Napa Valley wedding at a Ranch in the hills of St. Helena. We needed a place for over one hundred out of town guests. We initially settled on a beautiful spa in the region. Then we realized that wedding guests would include young families, graduate students, people just out of college struggling with loans, and needed to be realistic about providing an affordable option. After visiting it, we chose the Napa Winery Inn as the alternative to the spas that cost four times as much per night.

It turned out to be so fantastic that most people canceled their stays at spas to be at the Inn, including people who could have afforded to stay anywhere. The Napa Winery Inn provided our guests and us with a perfect stay. The front staff is well trained, and exceedingly polite and competent. The hotel itself is at a perfect location, at what I would describe as the best entry point for exploring the Napa Valley.

The rooms are spotlessly clean and modern. A comfortable bed is a must for me, and the bed was excellent. The pool and hot tub are beautiful, private, quiet. There are two very nice restaurants a 3 to 4 minute walk away, and many more restaurants from great to gourmet within a few minutes drive. The hotel provides one of the best complementary breakfasts that I've seen, with great choices from healthy to splurge, with full table ware, not paper napkins and cafeteria trays. There is a wonderful park across the street with a path that I used for morning and evening walks.

Despite the hotel having I guess about 50 rooms, they provide an intimate feel. We heard not one complaint from any of our guests, only praise. We wound up extending our stay. If I were to be the father of the bride of a Napa Valley wedding again I would choose the Napa Winery Inn without a moment's hesitation. We explored a number of hotels and hotel-spas, and I don't think you can do better than to choose this place as "headquarters" for a Napa Valley wedding, at any price.

Room Tip: Room 102 is nice and private, has its own little outdoor patio that opens up to the pool and hot tub...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear NonSoLo,

Thank you for your review, it was just splendid.

We were certainly happy to have your large group with us. All of your guests were so nice. The staff liked you just as much as you liked us. It was a great weekend. You couldn’t have asked for better weather. It was fun to see all of your guests that hadn’t see each other in a while. It was so much like a reunion too. We all loved it. It was a happy weekend.

Thank you for mentioning our location. I think we are perfectly situated as well. It is easy to go North up valley to the wineries or just 20 minutes South West to Sonoma.

We do try our best to make all of our guests feel welcome and relaxed while they are with us, a home away from home if you will. That is why we provide real napkins, silverware, plates, and glasses. How can you relax, if you are eating off of paper plates and using plastic glasses, forks, spoons, and knives. We do try to add the little touches where ever we can.

Thank you again. I hope you and your guests can come visit us again sometime. I was such a pleasure having you with us.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel was recommended to us by a local travel agent, and he was right on target. We had a great three-night stay at this hotel which had outstanding accommodations, a bountiful breakfast and a most helpful staff. The room was very comfortable -- the largest of our trip. Because a horrible hotel experience in San Francisco cut that stay from two nights to one, we were able to add another night in the Napa Winery Inn. The man who handled our urgent request was cordial. When we checked in, a local winery manager happened to stop at the front desk. He gave us his card and told us to stop by for a wine tasting, which we did. The hotel personnel were helpful in showing us what to see and where to go. We had a great restaurant recommendation for Fish Story in downtown Napa and another to stop at Oxbow Market, which is very cool. The hotel is located at the south end of the valley with Napa wineries to the north and Sonoma wineries to the west -- all within a short drive. We would definitely return to the Napa Winery Inn and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The hotel is located in a mostly residential area, so it was quiet where every you went.
2  Thank odoyle584

Dear Odoyle584,

Your review was so nice. It made me smile, thank you.

I would love to thank the Travel Agent that recommended us.

I was excited that you got to stay with us for an additional night, and that the request was handled properly.

Thank you for mentioning the size of the rooms. I think they are a nice size as well.

I am glad the staff could give you ideas of where to eat and things to go see and do. Most of the front desk staff were either born here or have lived here for many years, and we encourage them to go out and explore the Valley so that they can recommend different things to our guests. The wineries and wine bars often times will have an event a couple of times a year for just Hospitality Staff so that we can all go and see their properties. It helps them, it helps us, and therefore it helps us help you. There are really so many things to do here in the Valley, like the Oxbow Market that you were referred to. You don’t necessarily have to be a wine drinker to come to Napa Valley. We have great shopping, restaurants, microbrewery’s. It is nice to hear that you got to experience so much.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope that you can return in the near future.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

So close to all the winery and everything we need for our ten day trip. Hotel personnel was very friendly and will to help with what we needed. Liz works the fron counter and she was the nicest lady ever....Breakfast was included in our stay and was very good. Late in the day they served wine and cheese, a nice touch....The hotel was very clean and the beds were the best....

1  Thank Robyn S

Dear Robyn N,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review here. I would also like to thank you for the wonderful compliment. I am just so happy that you had a great stay.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and the wine tasting. We really do try and make our guests feel at home here.

I too love that we are so centrally located that it is easy to tour Napa and/or Sonoma from our location.

Thank you again. I hope you can come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Great location for touring wine country! It's located just off the highway to Yountville, St Helena and Calistoga . Easy to get to. Staff was very helpful and did research for us on cab fares, dry cleaning and bus tours. Rooms were larger than the one we stayed at in San Francisco (courtyard Marriott financial district) and the free daily wine tasting from 5-6 was icing on the cake. Not to mention the daily hot breakfast, which consisted of fresh fruit, cheese omelettes, bacon, sausages, two types of bread, cereal, yogurt and juice. That was free, by the way, and if you've ever stayed in napa valley, you know that it's nice to save a little cash on meals cause its expensive! Overall the best hotel I've stayed at for quite some time. Highly recommend it! Great value! Oh, the outdoor hot tub was nice after a day of drinking wine (or numerous days, as it were).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Curtis R
Liz A, Front Office Manager at Napa Winery Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Curtis R,

Such a great review, thank you very much.

We are all happy to hear that your visit to the Napa Winery Inn was a success.

I really like our location as well. Such easy access to the wineries and restaurants.

I think our breakfast is one of the best around. Not often do you have the variety of items that we have as well as, real silverware, plates, glasses and cloth napkins. It is a great way to start the day.

Our nightly complimentary wine tasting is a new feature. As you know our staff pours a local wine during the week and on Friday and Saturday nights February through October we have a local winery come in and pour for our guests. We do offer cheese, crakers, and fruit nightly as well. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it. It is a nice way to relax after a day of touring the valley and before dinner.

Thanks again for posting such a nice review. Hope you can come and see us again.

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We were on an eight day trip to California and booked this hotel because of its proximity to the Napa Wine Train. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in choosing wineries and other activities in the region. Breakfast which was included provided a choice of warm and healthy choices. We were pleased with the additional perk of wine (from an area vineyard) along with fruit and cheese , each evening from 5:30 until 6:30. (We met many friendly people.) A restaurant next door made it possible to have lunch or dinner without driving.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Dot d d,

Thank you so much for posting a review.

We were happy to have you stay with us, and it is nice to hear that your stay was enjoyable. We do our best to try and make our guests feel welcome and at home.

I am glad that you were able to partake in our complimentary hot breakfast and our wine tasting each evening. I feel they both add a little bright spot to start and end your day.

I hope the rest of your vacation was just as pleasant. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I looked at a bunch of hotels and their reviews before picking this one. We really enjoyed the hotels amenities and their location.
We had roamed around downtown Napa for a while before we checked in, so we got to the hotel close to check in time. The staff was really friendly and inviting. They reminded us that they would be doing a wine tasting in a couple hours to make sure we didn't miss it, and gave us the details for breakfast the next morning.
The room was cute, the layout could have had a couple improvements. 1st the closet, area is adjacent to the bathroom, which made it a bit awkward when grabbing something from the luggage if someone was in the bathroom, it was really tight. The Kitchenette was right behind you there too.
We found the refrigerator under the skin, it's disguised nicely to not stand out from the rest of the furniture. We noticed where the microwave would have gone, if there was one in the room. The screen wasn't properly on the window, so there were several large bugs on the window, so we opted to not open the window, and just kept the AC on. There could have been a few more accessible plugs for charging items, some were on the lamps, but they didn't seem to work unless the lights were turned on.
There was a lot of seating in the room, and lots of lighting. The beds were very comfortable. We were close to the downtown area, which is where we spent most of our time, walking around, checking out the tasting rooms, and going to the wine train.
The wine tastings were in the evenings about dinner time and they would serve some cheese and crackers and taste different wines each day. We only made one day, because the other day fell in the middle of our dinner plans. The breakfast was nice, it changed slightly each morning, we would grab some food before heading out each day, enough to tie us over until lunch time.
There is a great restaurant within the parking lot, that serves a wide variety of foods and the staff there is super friend. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel4Fun31

Dear Travel4Fun31,

Wow, a very nice review. It is greatly appreciated, thank you.

This is a great review because you have touched on a little bit of everything that we offer here at the Napa Winery Inn. Your comments about the layout of the room were great, and I will pass those along to the powers that be. We do have microwaves upon request. I know what you mean about the outlets, you can never have enough.

I am glad that you liked the beds; they are new, as are the pillows, linen, and duvet’s. Our recent remodel included those items as well as new carpet, a brand new lobby, with lobby café, our complimentary hot breakfast, and complimentary nightly wine pouring. We have more upgrades coming in the near future.

Thank you again. I hope you can come and see us again soon.