“Private, intimate setting with a wonderful tour”
Review of Hartwell Vineyards

Hartwell Vineyards
Ranked #110 of 195 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: After exploring and evaluating the most storied wine growing regions of California, wine collectors Bob and Blanca Hartwell concluded there was no land better suited to producing exquisite Cabernet Sauvignon than what was to become one of Napa Valley's most famed appellations, Stags Leap and planted their first roots on the famed slopes of Wappo Hill in 1985. The ten million year old Vaca Mountain Range on the eastern border of the appellation absorbs the morning sun and reflects the afternoon rays back onto our hillside vineyards below. During the day, the southeastern aspect of our estate vineyard maximizes the morning sun exposure helping our vines to ripen more efficiently and evenly than those growing down on the flat valley floor, resulting in wines that reflect the true power and poise of the Stags Leap "terroir."
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Arriving at the entry gate a little early, they were more than happy to meet us at the door with a Sauvignon Blanc. The winery is set on the southern side of Wappo Hill (the original Mondavi estate home is the other side of Wappo hill), which gives it a very unique climate for the region of the Stags Leap district within Napa. Dave was most instructive, giving as much information as you wanted to handle, and was very happy to let us ask questions and answer whatever he could. The wine is processed within cement eggs (imported from France), which allows for aeration through the concrete, but also giving temperature control during the processing of the wine. These wines are a blend of cabernet sauvignon and merlot, and have great structure. The wine club (12 bottles per year in two shipments) is a nice way to get to try these very limited production wines.

2  Thank Lestertheinvestor

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Listen, I'm a beer guy. I like microbrews and the regional quality behind them. I've always found wine to be rather high falutin and to be honest not that tasty. But it only takes 1 trip to Hartwell to change even the hardened beer drinker. This was the best vineyard and wine experience I've ever had. The place was unpretentious, delicious and inviting.

One thing to note, tastings are by appointment and you need to know or be a club member to gain access...but it is worth it!

Reviewed February 29, 2012

On our first trip to Napa, my husband and I visited Hartwell on a recommendation from friends. This was the second winery we had visited. While the first winery was a nice experience, this was a very personal experience.

We arrived a little early for our appointment, but that didn't stop David from beginning our very own personal tour. My husband was thrilled to see the caves where the wine is stored and hear the history of the vineyard and how the wine is made.

David was very knowledgeable and did not rush us, taking time to answer any questions we had. After the tour, we went into a cheery room for our tasting. The environment was so comfortable, it felt like we were hanging with friends at their house. The herbed almonds to enjoy between wines was a nice touch.

The wine was fantastic! I'm a red wine gal, and loved every single wine that was poured (is it in bad taste to finish every glass?). We loved the wine so much, we joined their Club (certainly no pressure). I must say their Club benefits are the best I have ever seen. It is a quality wine at a reasonable price. I'm definitely hooked!

The combination of the outstanding wine and personal, inviting environment make this a definite "must see" on every Napa visit!