“City feel in a sleepy town.”
Review of 1313 Main - CLOSED

1313 Main
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Clinton
Description: 1313 Main Restaurant & Wine Bar inspired by the bounty of California's food and wine. To celebrate the two, the menu is served as a 3 course menu and features a cellar of 1,900 labels with 50 wines by the glass from all over the globe.
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I live and work in Napa, and as a local I have visited almost all of the great spots for food and nightlife in the area. 1313 has one of the best locations in the downtown area. Just off the beaten path, on the north end of Main street, the location is perfect to sneak away from the hustle of crowded restaurants and shops and find yourself enjoying a glass of wine or beer in one of the many different vignettes in the almost 6,000 square foot swanky, modern wine bar/shop.

A hip and trendy atmosphere, the wine bar has the perfect setting for a romantic date sharing a bottle of fine wine in the dimly lit "speakeasy," or a social gathering with a group of friends in the fireside lounge. On the weekends with a DJ from 9-1am you can hang up your coat by the bar and dance to your favorite 80's songs or R&B. From experience, anytime a classic Whitney or Janet song comes on, it's guaranteed to be fun to watch.

A perfect gathering spot for a who's who in Napa, where you might find yourself sitting beside a next generation winemaker, or a few of Hollywood notables who've decided to get away from the buzz of the city. The owner, Al, is usually somewhere in the building chatting up locals or sharing a glass with Napa visitors. He's been running the sister company CalWine for over 18 years, so he's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to suggestions on wine. The price is really affordable, and with the hospitable and friendly staff, its almost certain that the conversation will be genuine and entertaining.

I visited with my mom just a few days ago, and sat at the bar where the bartender, Christianna, educated us on a new bottle of Pinot Noir and told us about some local Napa events we may not have heard about. Along with our bottle of wine we enjoyed an assortment of cheeses from the small plates menu, and an order of pate that was a surprisingly large portion. The food was hand delivered by the cute hipster chef, who to our amazement, took the time to explain the origin of the cheeses and charcuterie. We really felt special and welcomed.

Another perk of 1313 is the retail wine shop. Not only can you enjoy a glass or bottle in-house, but if you are headed to dinner nearby, you can stop in to purchase something special from the well thought out selection of over 1300 bottles.

A must see visit in Napa, either weekday or weekend. I couldn't recommend it more. 1313 is something fresh and different, and I think something that should be kept on the radar of anyone visiting or living in the Napa Valley area.

2  Thank BH1982

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Went out with some friends to 1313 last night and had a great time. Hung out in the back in the "champagne room" which like any other you have visited, was sex free....

Had a couple bottles of champagne which were all excellent though they could have turned down the temp on the fridge as they were just above perfect temp IMO.

Had a cheese plate as well as their meat selection plate and both of which were excellent.

Service was prompt and the atmosphere was lively. The DJ had a good couple sets of music before loosing the bubble and playing one good song, 3 bad songs, one good song etc...

2  Thank i_am_the_koi
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stopped here for a glass of wine before dinner and wished we had time to stay longer. The bartenders were what made it great. Great cocktail selection in addition to wine list. Recommend if you're looking for a classy atmosphere for a drink with friends or a date.

3  Thank emily172
Reviewed October 17, 2012

During our first visit to the Napa Valley, my wife and I did our usual research of the area we planned to travel to. One place stood out amongst many: 1313 Main.

Our second night in Napa we went to 1313 for some wine and a snack before later finding somewhere for dinner. We were immediately given the choice of seating and decided on sitting at the bar. We were immediately given the wine and bar menus by the bartender, who was extremely knowledgeable about the wines they serve. We ordered our wines and a cheese plate and visited with other customers as well as the staff. The manager came by for a visit and eventually had us grab our glasses and follow him to their wine collection where he showed us their Pinot Noir collection where I was floored by some of the names on the shelf.

We returned to the bar and ordered more wine. At one point a pair of gentlemen who had bought a bottle of wine to taste (A Chilean blend I believe) had the bartender set out additional glasses and invited my wife and I to taste it with them.

Long story short, instead of a drink and a snack, we spent nearly 4 hours there. 1313 Main has to be one of the friendliest wine bars I have ventured into. Their wines are top notch and their cheese plates are fantastic. On our next trip to Napa, we plan on spending more than one evening there.

On a side note: There is no telling who you can run into here. A gentleman came in, sat next to me and ordered a beer. After visiting with him for an extended period of time, he invited us to come by the next day to the winery where he is the tasting room manager (hint: Think Judgement of Paris 1976). We took him up on his offer the next day and were given the chance to taste some of the most exquisite Cabernet's I have come across. Some of the grapes came from vines that were 40 years old. So when you go to 1313, dont be shy about visiting with the folks around you.

1  Thank 53Alex
Reviewed October 15, 2012

1313 is an outstanding, comfortable and enjoyable wine tasting experience. The customer service and high quality of wine and cheeses make this place a MUST SEE and experience. I will definately go back and would encourage you to go as well....

If you enjoy good wine and a great experience, please go there...

1  Thank Christine W