“great dinner downtown Napa”

Carpe Diem Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Carpe Diem Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 295 Restaurants in Napa
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brown Street
Description: Carpe Diem offers a sophisticated, yet casual dining experience in the heart of downtown Napa. Our enthusiastic staff and lively atmosphere bring uniqueness to the table. An ever-changing wine list and family share-plate style menu elevates the dining experience from a mechanical process to a convivial experience. As an innovative restaurant, we modify our menu on the last Friday of every month. Executive Chef Scott Kendall creates original dishes that our guests would not anticipate. Their most enjoyed plates include the ostrich burger with cranberry coriander compote, creamy brie and truffle fries or the housemade burrata which is mozzarella heaven served with cabernet sea salt, basil crystals and grilled bread. The chefs also keep things fresh with the soup of the moment and chef's selection of tacos updated weekly with seasonal ingredients. Guests are invited to personalize the dishes "Carpe style" by adding an organic poached duck egg and crispy pancetta to any plate. Wines and beers are expressly selected to compliment the food, enhancing the culinary experience at Carpe Diem. Our team is constantly searching for new wines and beers that will pleasantly surprise both locals and visiting guests. Carpe Diem Brewing Co. is excited to share our beers exclusively at the restaurant with eight constantly rotating tap handles alongside other local craft brews. Some of our unique wines include Outcast, Rosalynd, and Keever. Our extensive wine list with over twenty wines by the glass entices our guests to sample something new and discover the perfect pairing with their meal.
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We were seated promptly and service was good throughout the evening. Everything on the menu looks worth trying. All the dishes are ample to share, so you can order more dishes! The house made burrata is a must to try - the words that immediately came to mind are not allowed to be written in reviews like this! If you go here try this and you will know what I mean. The Harissa clay pot with sumac and coriander encrusted lamb tenderloin is a complete taste treat - lamb tenderloin is so hard to find to begin with and here it is cooked to perfection. Hughes Wild Turkey Zinfandel was a great addition to the evening. Upon our arrival the place was very energetic and the tables are very close together, but the happy hour people left and everything mellowed out. Whew! This is a definite on our return list!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Decided to come on yelp and trip advisor reviews... good choice.
Alison was my server and she was super attentive, I don't think my water glass has every been filled so much. Food was devine - harissa clay pot, ostrich burger and burada cheese were our choices and they were divine. I still wish I could eat more burada.
I must admit the plates are not huge sizes but its not billed as a restaurant and the prices are quite low so that is reflected.

Great choices of wines and beer as well. All in all go!!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

The wines available here are excellent and not run of the mill but carefully selected by the Director of WInes. We enjoyed a 2007 Saxon Brown Syrah with our fresh mozzarella (outstanding), wild boar sausage (too small a serving .... only 4 slices of hot dog diameter), wild mushroom flatbread (really good) .
service was outstanding: friendly with excellent advice on choices. A bit dark inside but a solid choice for you to enjoy a great evening in Napa.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Where do I start? I loved everything about this place! The restaurant is rather small but not loud and has a warm setting. You feel sophisticated but not stuck up when you walk in.. that's the best way I can describe it. I went with my best friend, we both live in Napa and like to save up a little and go to a nice dinner for a girls night to catch up.

We started with the Butternut Squash Risotto Balls. WOAH! Creamy, crispy, ever so slighty sweet from the squash but with a generous kick at the end (warms you up on the cold night). The pesto they serve with it was divine, I loved it so much that the actual dipping sauce, a sweet meaty marinara, went completely ignored. More pesto next time Carpe Diem! (We were THIS CLOSE to ordering the Truffle Parm fries, because truffles come on, but since those fries are a side for one of the entrees we decided to go with the risotto balls. Sure glad with that dicision)

For dinner I ordered the Filet Mignon Steak Skewers and my friend ordered the Ostrich Burger. My steak skewers were tender and delicious, and despite being labeled a small plate I was plenty full. Joy of joy's it came with more of that pesto yuuuumm and was plated on a small bed of greens. The waitress was very nice and when I asked for a recommendation for a wine to go with my meal she recommended a perfect syrah. If only I could remeber which one it was she recommended it went perfectly with the steak skewers and the spicy pesto. I tried a bit of my friends Ostrich burger and was VERY surprised! It was so good. juicy and flavorful and everything they put on that burger enhanced it beautifully. Brie cheese and cranberry and some other yummyness. Just try it, it's good.

In terms of pricing, I usually can't afford much but I'm a total foodie so I'm willing to save up and pay for something that's worth it. I walked in with low expectations because I hadn't heard much buzz about this place and Napa tends to generate restaurants that price very very high because they can get away with it. I was very pleasantly surprised by the prices and even more surprised when I actually tasted the food. It's not cheap by any means but the value was there in my mind. It wasnt too expensive and the food was %150 worth it. Just go you'll be happy you did :)

1  Thank Ellie_the_Traveler
Reviewed January 6, 2014

One of the best gastronomic experiences ever! The food, the wines, the service. Unforgetable, shall return.