“Burned pizza”

New York Pizza Kitchen
Ranked #190 of 307 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I was looking for a break from the high-priced formality of the Silverado and came across this joint in a nearby strip mall. I had slice pizza inside and takeout sub. Pizza took too long to come out and bottom was burned black, crust was too large. Meatballs were bland. Very disappointing.

1  Thank chazb0

Reviewed March 15, 2011

I've lived across from Silverado Plaza for 4 years and had never tried NY Pizza Kitchen. Today I was suddenly in the mood for a nice, authentic pizza -- we often do $5 pizzas from down the street and for what it is, it's not bad... but I wanted something a little more "homemade" today, so figured I'd give New York Pizza Kitchen a try.

I showed up and perused the menu... lots of toppings, but everything's pretty expensive. Most of the toppings are pretty standard, with a few additions like salami, chicken, bacon, fresh basil, and roasted garlic. Some of the more interesting toppings cost extra ($2.50 per topping), which is unfortunate because the thought of artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, and feta sounds pretty good.

I ordered a large mushroom and roasted garlic, which you don't see all the time and it's always good... slow-roasted cloves, all soft and sweet and somewhat caramelized.

Only... this wasn't the case. I sat at the front table for 20 minutes reading the newspaper and waiting for my pizza. When it finally arrived I took it and headed home (about 1 minute away)... as soon as I got in, I opened the cardboard box and saw what appeared to be minced raw garlic - the kind you can get in the big, bulk jars pre-chopped and drowning in garlic juice. Apparently what they do for their "roasted garlic" topping is to take minced RAW garlic, slap some spoonfuls on top, and throw it in the oven for 8 minutes so that it chars (but remains raw) while the crust cooks and cheese melts? Unacceptable. There was nothing "roasted" about this... their garlic is straight-up raw. I took a few pieces off with my finger and realized the pizza would be pretty much inedible (roasting garlic mellows out the flavor, allowing you to eat large doses at a time).

Well, when I returned to say that I was returning the pizza and wouldn't be accepting it (I hadn't eaten a single bite, other than the slivers of garlic I picked off to test), the young guy behind the counter said "What do you mean? It's roasted... see? It's dark. It went in the oven."

I said "No. This is raw garlic. Sticking it in an oven for 8 minutes does not make it roasted garlic. You should either take that off your menu or change the name to 'minced garlic', because this is not roasted garlic." He refused to accept that so finally I said "You know what, fine. I'll just dispute the charge on my card and tell the Internet how much you guys suck." Then he got quiet and found my receipt, handed me my cash back so I could leave.

I went to their website to try to send them an email with a link to a web search for "roasted garlic" -- in which I don't see a single website showing a method where you take raw minced raw garlic and throw it on a pizza for a few minutes. Of course, their web skills are about as savvy as their pizza-making and garlic knowledge, so they have some lame cookie-cutter website provided by AT&T... and, of course, no email address.

It really makes me wonder what their other toppings are like. Is the "fresh basil" actually dried basil? Is the "bacon" actually Baco-Bits?

Sad. There are only a few pizza places in Napa that I know of, but I think I'll stick to $5 pizzas (at least I know what I'm getting and it doesn't involve paying $20 for a bunch of attitude and horrible customer service) or maybe I'll try Browns Valley Pizza or Azzurro at some point...

4  Thank mediaguru