“Nice, but Not a "Wow"”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Third Street
Description: Fish Story, offering sustainable, seasonal, ocean-fresh seafood, is Lark Creek Restaurant Group's entry into the Napa Valley dining scene. Located downtown, with ample riverfront patio seating, Fish Story serves lunch weekdays, brunch weekend days and dinner nightly, featuring live local Dungeness crab, live Maine lobster, fresh fish and shellfish all sourced in accordance with the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Program, plus non-seafood items.
Inman, South Carolina
“Nice, but Not a "Wow"”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Saturday night in downtown Napa-- such a culinary scene. Being from East Coast had to try out one of the newest hot fish restaurants. It was nice, service and atmosphere-- but food just ok. No "wow" Seeing bread being served around us --We had to ask for bread. The attendant took our plates when we were not quite done. But more the food was just ok.

• Visited August 2012

Napa, California
“Glad we gave it a second chance..........”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had eaten at Fish Story in the past and had been somewhat disappointed, but decided to try it again. Glad that we did. Had a great lunch there yesterday. The restaurant has the perfect location in the new Riverfront area of Napa. It is nicely decorated, with views of the river and bridge. The staff was very friendly and the service was excellent. My husband ordered the Ahi Tuna Burger and I had the Crab and Shrimp Louie. Both were very tasty! We will definitely go back.

• Visited January 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Great experience”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Limited menu, but really good food and great service. We brought our own wine, and our waitress was so sweet in waiving the corkage fee.

Visited January 2013
Carmichael, CA
“Good happy hour, nice setting”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stopped here while in town for business lately, and enjoyed the benefits of happy hour. I believe the hours are 4:30-6:30 (incluing Sat and Sun,which is unusual for Napa restaurants). Fish Story has "wine on tap" which is unique, and is $5 during happy hour (excludes chardonnay). They also have an interesting "small bites" menu, which is perfect for a snack before dinner, or serves as a meal if you order several small plates. I went for the healthy "fish taco"...fresh tuna cerviche served in Taro "shells". These were delicious...fresh fish, avocado, jalepeno in a light citrus "dressing". They are tiny and tasty (4 for $5). I followed these up with an order of pastrami sliders; again, they are small, but they pack a wonderful combination of pastrami, cheese and dressing served in delicious mini home-made rye buns. The menu also includes their hand cut fries ($3), oyster shooters, chicken wings, etc. for $5. The bar is pleasant, with 2 TV's for catching sports (volume off, thankfully). In addition, there is a outdoor seating area which I am sure is lovely when the weather cooperates. The bartender was friendly and service was quick. As a foody, I was impressed by the entire package, and I look foward to my next visit to sample a few more small bites and the full dinner menu.

• Visited January 2013
Sunnyvale, California
“nice; even if you don't like fish”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am not a fish lover; but my husband is. I reluctantly booked this restaurant hoping there were other non-swimming options. Boy was I happy we went. My husband had Mahi-Mahi which he said was done very well; I had a steak an though a bit pricey was one of the best I've ever had. So tender; great flavor. Small restaurant; fairly intimate; dim; quiet. Our only complaint was that we got shells in our crab cake and when the GM and the waitress asked how things were and we mentioned the shells they shrugged their shoulders and said they were shelled by and and we can't get everything perfect. I was shocked; at least thought they would bring me a new one let alone take it off my bill. They did nothing. A bummer for sure; but overall still a good experience.

Visited January 2013