“Birthday Lunch”
Review of Morimoto Napa

Morimoto Napa
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto Napa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 297 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Morimoto's contemporary Japanese menu infuses traditional dishes with Western ingredients and preparation techniques. His seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations will feature the freshest seafood available as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Morimoto's signature offerings include Toro Tartare, presented in a shallow wooden tray with condiments including creme fraiche, wasabi, avocado, nori paste, chives, crispy rice, and dashi-soy. Tuna Pizza made with raw tuna, anchovy aioli, and jalapeno; Morimoto Sashimi, a terrine of seared Toro, smoked salmon, barbequed eel, tuna and Hamachi served with five different sauces in pipettes.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

First impression-the smell of fish/broiled. My husband and I were the first ones to arrive for our 11:30am reservation. The hostess lead us to a corner that was sort of tucked away...we asked to be seated closer to some windows. Sat us at a very small table for 2...instead of a table for 4 which was more comfortable. The sashimi platter and salmon skin roll we ordered (with tea pot, tea cup/saucer, beer glass/bottle, plates etc) barely fit on this tiny table. They should seriously think about this awkwardness. When we were almost done eating, the restaurant was filled with smoke...something over broiled...doors had to be opened..made me cough.
OK...now the positives. Washugyu beef carpaccio was perfect, could easily consume 2 orders. The sashimi platter:very fresh fish. Tempura calamari salad was delicious except it became a little overwhelming with the oily batter. Maybe less batter and more salad. Would go back for the cold appetizers.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

beautiful restaurant, but alot of diners wall to wall. Placed in one of the tables for two that you heard everyones conversations next to you. Too noisy for me, prefer something a little more intimate. Food was ok, not fabulous.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were so excited to try something from a Morimoto restaurant. The food was just so-so, yet very expensive. Two appetizers and two drinks were $90!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I watch a lot of Food Network, so no trip to to wine country would be complete without sampling the culinary masterpieces created by Iron Chef Morimoto.

It is Napa Valley, so of course they have a huge selection of local wines, but you'll also find a tremendous selection of beers and liquors. Chef Morimoto has his own line of beers put out by Rogue in Newport, Oregon. I had to go full force for this meal, so I opted for a 22-ounce glass of the Morimoto Soba ale.

All of the sushi we ordered was, unsurprisingly, spectacular. My wife's favorite was the Shrimp Tempura Roll, but I was absolutely blown away by their Eel Avocado Roll: barbecue eel and avocado.

Of all the different kinds of barbecue I've had over the years, I can honestly say that eel is probably the most unique. There was a very pleasant sweetness from the barbecue sauce. I found only a very, very mild taste of smoke, but it was definitely there. The creamy avocado was a nice compliment to the saltiness of the eel. This certainly wasn't true oink-and-moo barbecue, but an interesting and very tasty offering nonetheless.

We were both completely stuffed after all the sushi we had scarfed down, but it was impossible to resist an Iron Chef-caliber dessert. We ordered the S'more, which consisted of a kurumitsu graham, smoked soy chocolate mousse, toasted marshmallow. It's not often that I'm at a loss for words, but it's actually really hard to describe just how absolutely incredible this dessert was. This s'more was the total package: sweet, salty, chocolatey, smokey.

Come here and let Chef Morimoto dazzle your taste buds. A la cuisine!

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

A Saturday night, 9 adults in from Indiana, and no reservations. We show up at 6pm for dinner. The staff worked very hard to seat us on the patio. A wide range of choices that came quickly. Each dish explained as delivered. Pricey but well worth the experience.