“Very intimate and Personal Wine Tasting”

O'Brien Estate Winery
Ranked #2 of 195 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are by appointment only. Please go to our website to inquire about our experiences. We do not take phone reservations. The cost is $55.00 per person. We regretfully are not permitted to have anyone under 21 years of age nor allow any pets on the premises. Our award winning wines come from our 40 acres in the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley. From grape growing to bottling, the entire winemaking process is managed at the estate. The vineyards are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc. Our wines are sought after by collectors and have received many awards, including a recent 98 point score for our 2013 Unrestrained Reserve Bordeaux Blend.
Reviewed August 9, 2014

This was our first winery we visited on a 5 day visit to Napa. After 5 days we realized that some wineries are more just into the tastings sitting at a table, others include a tour, and some are in between. This I would say was in between and I would highly recommend it. It is a small winery and the staff is very very friendly and personable. You are seated out among the vines at a table where you will receive your tasting. It was a very leisurely tasting, no rushing, and they provided a cheese plate which was nice. The tasting is very informative. You then are able to walk around the vineyard and actually taste the grapes and compare them, take pictures etc. We also went into the barrel room and tasting some red wine right out of the barrel. It really was a great experience. AT the end, I did feel a little pressure to join their club and it was a bit awkward. The wines are very pricey, as is the club. The tastings are $25 a person which we found very reasonable for the quality of wines and the length and quality for the tasting/tour. I will mention that the tour is accessible, however their restroom facilities were not. We had someone in a wheelchair so that was a bit of a problem.

3  Thank Linda F

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We went to O'Brien on a bicycle trip through the valley for our daughter's 21st birthday. It was the prize of the tour of small wineries. We have been back several times, joined the wine club and savor our regular shipments. O'Brien wines are delicious! Every time we have visited it has been a personalized experience. We ate lunch between the vines on our first trip, enjoying a bottle of Seduction.
All of their wines are good (in a sea of intense competition). But Seduction and the ultimate Unrestricted Reserve are PRIMO!
You will not be disappointed.

3  Thank Artbmd
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My family and I visited O'Brien Winery on a whim as we didn't have anything planned the day we stopped here. However, our trip to Napa would not have been complete if we would have never visited O'Brien! Their wine is the best we tasted in Napa.

We were greeted by Hulio with a glass of wine, and went straight to the vineyards to learn about their estate and wines. Hulio has a true passion for his job and truly shined through when discussing the wine making process with us.

After he gave us a brief lesson, we were able to sit down under a tree to finish our tasting. Hulio even brought out some cheese, almonds and crackers to go along with our tasting.

My favorite part about this winery was the fact that you didn't have to belly up to a bar to taste the wines. Instead you are sitting in the backyard of the owners' home looking at a view that will take your breath away! The owners are generally home and greet all of their guests; however, they were away visiting family when we were there. I would absolutely visit O'Brien! Your visit to Napa won't be complete without it.

5  Thank Elle324
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My boyfriend arranged a picnic just last week at O'Brien Estate Winery. As you arrive, you are welcomed by a friendly staff. Along a rustic path, we were escorted to a picnic table surrounded by the grapevines and laced with mountains like in a portrait. As I sat down, I looked around at the views. My eyes filled with tears. The most beautiful scenery and my amazing boyfriend in this secluded, romantic picnic area. I couldn't help but feel like the most luckiest girl in the world. We sat at the picnic table, relaxed and amazed as Ray brought the wine tastings to us. Ray was very knowledgable and laid-back. He welcomed us to walk around the vineyard, which we did and enjoyed the romantic stroll. One of the best experiences of my life. If you are looking for romance in Napa Valley. This is it!!!!! Thanks, Ray!

3  Thank Chantelle S
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Though you will need a reservation to visit the Estate, you certainly will not be disappointed. The wines here are absolutely fantastic and if you're lucky enough (become a member) you'll be able to try their winemakers own wines KIND. The staff here is very attentive and accommodating. We could not be happier with our visit and wine selections.

4  Thank TXConnection