“Now it all makes sense”

O'Brien Estate Winery
Ranked #2 of 193 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are by appointment only. Please go to our website to inquire about our experiences. We do not take phone reservations. The cost is $55.00 per person. We regretfully are not permitted to have anyone under 21 years of age nor allow any pets on the premises. Our award winning wines come from our 40 acres in the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley. From grape growing to bottling, the entire winemaking process is managed at the estate. The vineyards are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc. Our wines are sought after by collectors and have received many awards, including a recent 98 point score for our 2013 Unrestrained Reserve Bordeaux Blend.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Been seeing this winery for over a year now at #1 on Tripadvisor and I was curious.

Was it a fad? A Scam? A group of highschoolers helping their buddy out?

Finally made myself an appointment to try it myself and it didn't take long to see why. From the greeting to the atmosphere, the time they take with you and the wines you try, it is a great experience for the new-to-wine-tasting or the old hand.

Was greeted and shown out to the patio to try the wines and some cheese. Each wine was paired specifically and explained with plenty of room for questions. From there we went into the vineyard and were explained the planting style and had some more wine.

Finally into the tank/barrel room to see the end of the process including the cement egg. I wound up buying a bottle of the Merlot as it was just so damn good I couldn't resist.

Now it all makes sense.

3  Thank i_am_the_koi
There are newer reviews for O'Brien Estate Winery

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My friends and I were looking to visit a winery we hadn't been to before in Napa. By chance, I found O'Brien Estate Winery online and picked it from the intriguing stories shared on its web site, the fun names of its wines (e.g., Fascination and Seduction), along with the fact that it was rather close to where we had lunch reservations (at the yummy Bistro Don Giovanni). What a GREAT find! If you're looking for something off the beaten path, give this one a try. Yes, it feels like you're driving up someone's private driveway to their house rather than to a bustling, commercial tasting room. Well, you are! We had Brandon as our tour guide - - fun, knowledgeable and a very gracious host. He provided yummy nibbles for us as we meandered around the property enjoying the views and the wine. Be sure to make a reservation for this experience. And allow at least an hour. All three of us joined their wine club and are looking forward to enjoying some of the upcoming events...and more of their great wine. Cheers to all!

1  Thank ca_wanderer
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I were in Napa having breakfast at Chandon Winery after our ballon ride. A nice gentleman walked up to us wearing one of those Gregg Norman style hats and introduced himself as Bart O'Brien owner of the winery and said why don't you come to my winery and try our juice. My wife Colleen Leonard, being part Irish, said that she would love to start her wine tasting adventure at O'Brien Winery, as soon as we finished procuring our marriage license. We got to the winery and met Bart and his lovely wife Barbera. We started talking and realized that Bart and I had both gone to the University of Florida for undergraduate studies. At that point we started with a unplanned barrel tasting and the rest was history. We have become friends with Bart and Barbera and hosted an O'Brien wine tasting at our home for some close friends and have been wine members ever since. O'Brien is a 5000 case boutique winery that produces a number of varietals that easily goes head to head with the top wineries in Napa. If the membership list is still open I would recommend that you become a member as you will not be disappointed. The Chardonnay Reserve is off the chart as well as their Rosé style wine and Bordeaux blend. The single varietal Merlot is also excellent. So don't miss O'Brien Winery the next time you are in Napa and tell them that Michael and Colleen sent you. Cheers

2  Thank MLF888
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was our very first winery experience in Napa, for my party of 4.
We shared our tour/taste with another couple.
It went by really really fast, and not necessarily in a good way. I don't even really remember much of the information.
I understand we had the last tour time of the day and the winery itself was very busy bottling their wines but my group was really excited for our first experience.
The wine was good though.

The estate itself is very lovely and romantic. My group took a lot of pictures backyard area.
I just remember the other couple bought their bottles and left so quickly.

Fee is only waived if you join the wine club.

3  Thank 905sallylly
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We are wine club members and we visited the Estate last week sipping and sharing tastes with Mike one of the tour guides.
The setting facing the vineyards, relaxing while we sipped our vine was by far one of my favorite stops in Napa. The wine is great go for the big reds! Sit down relax don't rush and learn a little of Bart and Barbara's history. If you are lucky when you visit there could be a wine dinner or else a movie showing, I can imagine with the lanterns lit up and reflecting in the trees this would be incredibly intimate.
This is an appt only vineyard but it is worth the reservation and the trip.