“Nice, mid-sized winery. Great for tourists.”

The Hess Collection Winery & Art Museum
Ranked #6 of 190 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: Donald Hess established his first Mount Veeder vineyard in 1978, from the beginning recognizing that on these ridges and benchlands, the potential for great winegrowing was clear. Deep, rocky, volcanic soils provide a home for vineyard blocks producing small, concentrated fruit that reflects the challenges of growing grapes at higher altitudes in the coolest mountain growing region in Napa. The Hess Collection winery is part of a historic site where wine was first produced in the 1860’s, in a native stone build hewn by masons in 1903. The original stone structure is now joined by The Hess Art Collection, a world-class showcase of contemporary art that captures “two passions under one roof.” The Hess Collection uses sustainable, environmentally-sound practices with the axiom, “Nurture the land, and return what you take.” That philosophy brings with it a dedication to delivering wines that speak to their natural origins. Wine tasting & tours daily. Culinary experiences include pairings with small plates, artisan cheese and chocolates.
Toledo
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Nice, mid-sized winery. Great for tourists.”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This winery was designed for tourists. You are greeted inside by hosts and hostesses who point you toward the barrel room, art gallery, and tasting room. There are food pairing sessions and guided tours for an additional fee. You receive four pours for 15 dollars. The wines are solid. It's a great place to visit for those who want a traditional tour of a not-too-big, not-too-small winiery.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Geminipen

• Hebrew first
Culver City, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Spectacular all around - art, wine and and awesome tasting”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

So much to do at the Hess Collection. We selected the tours that included a very knowledgeable guide, beautiful grounds, very unique artworks by "new" artists, an awesome pairing in a magnificent private room with wonderful wines and tasty accompaniments, meeting the chef, learning more about the history of the winery and several hours well spent.

Citrus Heights, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Terrific departure from the usual tasting rooms”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

You'll find the winery tucked up in the hillside after a beautiful drive up the winding drive not far from central Napa.

It was a wonderful option after having our fill of wine tastings on our weekend getaway. The diversity and size of the collection is exceptional. We spent the entire morning leisurely strolling thru the collection and grounds, and didn't even partake of a tasting.

Make this "detour" part of your next trip to the Napa Valley to get the full experience of all the area has to offer.

Visited July 2014
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Poor service”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I went to Hess Collection on June 24, 2014 with 7 of my family members. I made a reservation for a private tour for 4 people on June 23, 2014 by phone call. They kept transferring my call to an agent called Ashley, who was not in her office that day. They completed my reservation when I said "I really want to get this done by now". The reservation can be done by a phone call and I have no ideas why they have to transfer me to somebody else. Besides, the guy who picked up my phone was so unprofessional; he asked for my credit card, but he did not tell me how much I was going to be charged until I asked, "is it $30 per person?" I thought it is a common sense to tell their customers before asking for a credit card number.

The most "impressive" part of Hess Collection was our private tour guide called Rodereck, and the lady sit at the reception called Samantha. I arrived at Hess Collection at 2:54pm, and my reservation was at 3pm. Samantha just sit there and did nothing when I went into the Hess Collection reception; she just ignored me. Rodereck greeted us with his unwelcome face. We total had 8 people went to Hess Collection, and only 4 of us joined the private tour. When Rodereck saw 8 of us, he made a phone call saying he had "language barrier" between him and us. Excuse me, sir! This is absolutely very rude and unacceptable.

I don't feel Hess Collection welcome Asian travelers. Poor experience and I would never come here again!

3 Thank krishyun_sone_beauty
Houston, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Lower price tasting with some interesting art”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

An interesting drive to get to this winery awaits you as you wind up the hillside. The tasting room is somewhat large with the pourers being fairly knowledgeable. I felt a little rushed here but the tasting price was lower than in much of Napa and Sonoma vineyards.

The quality of the wine is good though not consistently so. Certainly worth a stop in for a quick taste and a look at the interesting art gallery.

1 Thank missaero69