“Tasting Sans Art”

The Hess Collection Winery & Art Museum
Ranked #6 of 189 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: Donald Hess established his first Mount Veeder vineyard in 1978, from the beginning recognizing that on these ridges and benchlands, the potential for great winegrowing was clear. Deep, rocky, volcanic soils provide a home for vineyard blocks producing small, concentrated fruit that reflects the challenges of growing grapes at higher altitudes in the coolest mountain growing region in Napa. The Hess Collection winery is part of a historic site where wine was first produced in the 1860’s, in a native stone build hewn by masons in 1903. The original stone structure is now joined by The Hess Art Collection, a world-class showcase of contemporary art that captures “two passions under one roof.” The Hess Collection uses sustainable, environmentally-sound practices with the axiom, “Nurture the land, and return what you take.” That philosophy brings with it a dedication to delivering wines that speak to their natural origins. Wine tasting & tours daily. Culinary experiences include pairings with small plates, artisan cheese and chocolates.
Brielle, New Jersey
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Tasting Sans Art”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Originally signed up for the Tour of the Palate but canceled because of a conflict with another vineyard I wanted to visit that didn't have as open an agenda as Hess. Needless to say, I didn't have time to see the two floors of art but I really did enjoy the drive up to Hess on the winding road and the grounds are especially picture-worthy.

Tasting was fine, reasonally priced, and I liked the flexibility of the flight options vs what some other vineyards offer. I bought two bottles then a third since my tasting fee would be waived.

Just me but I like to sample wine when it is first poured and then swirl before the second taste. I was all set to repeat my routine for my second wine choice but my Hess host, explaining while taking my glass, it was best for me to swirl first to remove whatever remained of my first wine. IMO? If Hess is that concerned, give me a fresh glass or swirl, dump, and refill.

Visited April 2014

• Hebrew first
Marblehead, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Art & Wine - Great idea”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We like to mix culture with wine and so we did. The art exhibit was fascinating - mostly contemporary. The wine tasting afterwards was very enjoyable.

Houston, Texas
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Art plus Wine plus Artisanal Cheese”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

An incredible and fascinating collection of modern art together with wines that were also delightful, particularly when paired with the cheeses that were offered. Highly recommend the wine and cheese pairing option, which we did in the barrel room.

Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Wine tasking and sightseeing”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This Hess winery was a must do to see the very awesome art gallery with world class art and sculptures on display to view. The wine tasting room was terrific but not better than many others in the Napa.

Hazlet, New Jersey
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Different”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Well, there is a two floor art gallery. If you like modern art you will like this place. But it is not the MOMA in NYC.
The tasting room is big but Carlos was great and we enjoyed our vines and purchased some too. The fish pond is very different too.