“Unique Experience”

The Hess Collection Winery & Art Museum
Ranked #5 of 198 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: Donald Hess established his first Mount Veeder vineyard in 1978, from the beginning recognizing that on these ridges and benchlands, the potential for great winegrowing was clear. Deep, rocky, volcanic soils provide a home for vineyard blocks producing small, concentrated fruit that reflects the challenges of growing grapes at higher altitudes in the coolest mountain growing region in Napa. The Hess Collection winery is part of a historic site where wine was first produced in the 1860’s, in a native stone build hewn by masons in 1903. The original stone structure is now joined by The Hess Art Collection, a world-class showcase of contemporary art that captures “two passions under one roof.” The Hess Collection uses sustainable, environmentally-sound practices with the axiom, “Nurture the land, and return what you take.” That philosophy brings with it a dedication to delivering wines that speak to their natural origins. Wine tasting & tours daily. Culinary experiences include pairings with small plates, artisan cheese and chocolates.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I visited Hess with my wife on a recommendation from a friend and truly enjoyed it. While we are certainly not experts on art we could appreciate the uniqueness of it. Hess is off the beaten path a bit so I would recommend this to be your 1st stop if you are tasting wine which was also a nice experience. We bought 2 bottles of the 2011 Allomi Cab

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our first time to Hess yesterday was very enjoyable. We started out our time there exploring all of the artwork which was interesting and educational. My husband's mom is a local artist and would really appreciate this place! After viewing the artwork we were ready for some wine tasting!

The tasting room is spacious and very pretty. We had complimentary tasting passes from Old World Inn. A $30 value, this was very much appreciated. All of the wines we tasted were of the highest quality and our server was a German woman who was very knowledgeable and informative.

All of the times we have visited the wine country, I don't know how we could have missed this place! I will definitely be recommending it to future travelers to the area. :)

1  Thank syrahgirl
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Gorgeous grounds - the architecture and gardens were very nice. The art gallery was nice - modern, eclectic.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Off the beaten path and in a beautiful location. They have a large selection of different varietals which makes it a fun tasting experience. Do yourself a favor and take a short trip off the highway.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I am not sure why I thought this was going to be a bs collection, but I was wrong! WOW, I am an admitted art snob whose socks were knocked off. Thank you for sharing your wonderful museum quality collection. ::whistle:: Go to the top and work your way down to the tasting room. Joined the club, I am not sure if it was because of the art or the wines. The gift shop is also a nice place to stock up on gifts for your wine enthusiast friends. The architecture was interesting here, renovated in the 80's and it looked like there was a nice shaded area where you could enjoy wine in the summer. If we weren't pressed for time, I would have liked to spend more time there exploring their caves and getting the real tour. Our group did one tour in the morning and one in the afternoon to really soak up the information and wine of the places we visited, and I think that was just the right amount.
Enjoy!