“Delicious”
Review of Mustards Grill

Mustards Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Mustards Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 289 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Aged for almost 30 years in the Napa Valley… Since its beginnings as a local gathering spot over 29 years ago, Mustards Grill has blossomed into a destination for all who appreciate memorable food, superb wines and a warm welcome. Mustards food is Chef/Owner Cindy Pawlcyn’s mix of American regional dishes with global influences. The list of “Way Too Many Wines” represents the best from appellations throughout California and the New World. Mustards is an American Grill, featuring flavors from around the globe. The wood-burning grill produces such favorites as Cindy’s famous Mongolian Pork Chop, chipotle –rubbed Quail, and the ½ pound Niman Ranch hamburger. The oakwood smoker fills the restaurant with aromas of BBQ baby back ribs and tea-smoked Peking duck. Specialties include Seared Ahi Tuna on sesame crackers and Crispy Calamari tossed with curried slaw. The eclectic wine list features hard to find gems from California, the American Northwest, & South America.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Love this restaurant! The food is so delicious and interestingly paired. The ingredients are fresh and often locally derived. The mushroom and spinach veggie burger is my favorite!

1  Thank Kayakvet

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We hadn't been to Mustards in 25 years so we were very excited to revisit there. Promptly seated on a busy night. A good beginning. Great bottle of wine. Another good thing.

A jolly waiter took our orders quickly but evidently didn't hear my salad order correctly. Instead of a lettuce and blue cheese salad, I got a salad with walnuts and cranberries. Oops! So he brings a small dish with blue cheese sauce. Not a good move.

I ordered the Niman Ranch ribs with hopes I would love them. They were just ok but no better than a rib joint in Waltham, MA.

For dessert I ordered the banana cream pie. It came with chocolate sauce for goodness sake! The sauce drowned out the lovely pie flavor. Pity.

Has Mustards lost its mojo? Perhaps.

2  Thank Rwag
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Had the spinach and mushroom burger, which was very good. They were right next door to our B&B, which was convenient. Skip the onion rings.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I cannot believe I have lived in the bay area for decades without having ever dined here on numerous trips to Napa. Since it was the first, I assumed it was old and dated. Also the famed chef/owner has been away, so I wondered if that would affect the experience. Mind you the interior still has that 80's/90's vibe, but I do like the concept of the "American bistro" a la diner and using fresh locally sourced produce. We chose to try it out for an Easter brunch and were quite pleased. It is a small cozy interior and buzzing with customers. I chose to dine from the special holiday menu. The vegetable soup with pecorino was wonderful with just blanched vegetables added at the last minute so they were still green and crunchy. The grilled artichoke was standard California fare but delicious. I had the lamb which was rarer than I had ordered but tender and tasty nevertheless. The ribs came with spicy cornbread. I really liked this place if not for the casual vibe which is disappearing in the region. I did have questions about the service. It was very rushed which might have been on account of our particular waiter or the holiday bookings (although the tables were never entirely filled). We had just received cocktails and placed our orders when our appetizers arrived two minutes later. Also the wine list was removed for no reason. Don't you want to sell wine? They kept checking when they could remove the appetizer plates. When my companion was done, their plate was removed while I was still eating. Both entrees were quickly brought to the table. I was told "I guess I should keep this warm for you," since I was still working on the soup. That seemed a little tacky. Bread was never replenished or offered again. At the time of dessert we were never asked if we wanted coffee. In fact as soon as the dessert plates were removed the check was deposited. We had to ask for coffee and tea. At the end of the meal our check was dropped and picked up without our waiter making eye contact, facing the table or even asking us how we enjoyed ourselves. I did notice other servers seeming slower and more engaged. Perhaps it was just our bad luck. I would like to go back and try a lunch and dinner at a non-holiday time. It does have potential despite the poor service. It is of typical price range for the region at about 75 pp. Although you could have dined at Auberge for 125 pp and had impeccable service and serene surroundings.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Wife found this place while researching for restaurants during our trip to Napa.

We didn't have a reservation but were able to secure a table on Thursday night for two at 6:30PM.

Without all the platitudes listed, we can say that the food was Excellent, the wine great, the service great and the entire atmosphere outstanding. I liked that it wasn't to Fo-Fo, while my wife liked the relaxed atmosphere.

As an appetizer I got the tuna on flat bread. Outstanding! My lemon chicken was also excellent.
Wife got fish which she was was great as well.
Was a bit pricey, but again, Napa, wine, good food. What do you expect?

We highly recommend going if looking for a good meal.