“Enjoyed our stay but probably will try and stay closer to Yountville next time”
Review of Andaz Napa

Andaz Napa
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersGold level
California
Reviewed February 24, 2010

LOCATION:
Location was pretty much the only downside to this hotel. I wish it were closer to downtown Yountville instead of downtown Napa. It was a little far to drive back and forth to the wineries/dinner (about 25 minutes). There isn’t much to see in downtown Napa besides a handful of restaurants and the river.
HOTEL:
The hotel is small but very modern and nicely decorated. The outdoor patio has a large fire pit and is a great place to relax after a long day.
SERVICE:
Check in and out was a breeze (would have been nice to have had e-checkout though). Everyone was helpful and friendly! They even gave everyone Valentine ’s Day cookies on the 14th which was a very nice treat!
ROOM:
We stayed in a master suit with a tub and fireplace/sitting area. Everything was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was huge with double sinks and a rain shower. The bathtub (as others have said) was luxurious and very relaxing. The king bed was very comfortable and it was very quiet.
INTERNET:
Free wifi throughout the hotel!
GYM:
The gym was small and had no windows to the outside but otherwise was nice and had brand new cardio machines and free weights. There was also a flat screen TV, water and towels. I would suggest to the management that they put a fan in the room as it can get rather hot and stuffy especially when there are a lot of people.
SECURITY:
I felt very safe in this hotel. There were large safes in the rooms big enough to hold my laptop which was great! Parking is okay, the self park (and valet park) is in a public parking structure behind the hotel. The top levels are reserved for guests only but the structure is otherwise open to the public.
OVERALL:
Overall I truly enjoyed my stay at Avia. The room was exactly as we expected and we had a relaxing vacation. The only drawback for us was the location as we would have preferred to stay somewhere a little closer to wine country activities.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ASYAmanda
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
I'm delighted you enjoyed AVIA and had a relaxing vacation in Napa. Thank you for the nice comments regarding the hotel amenities and staff. They work very hard to make every guest feel special and make sure you have a wonderful visit. Napa is revitalizing their downtown area and will have more restaurants and tasting rooms for visitors to the area. Although you mentioned you would like to be closer to Yountville, I hope you will give downtown Napa and AVIA another try in the future.
In hospitality, Kristine Youngberg, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Korean first
texas
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed for 3 days at the Avia in Napa and couldn't have had a more wonderful time. The hotel was beautiful and there is not 1 complaint that we had. We did get the smallest room, but it was fine considering that we didn't spend a lot of time in the room but instead wine tasting and going to great restaurants.
The first night we ate a couple of blocks down at Ristorante Alegria--YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was such a great meal.
The second night was Cole's Chophouse--Ok food, but after an hour wait for a table and then another hour wait for our food, I was very disappointed--and VERY pricey!
Our 3rd night, we wanted to relax, so we did something we never thought we would do--(based on recommendations here on TA) we walked a couple of blocks over to Val's Liquor (yes a Liquor store) and got take our at Clemente's Italian Rest. It was THE BEST and CHEAP!!!! The malfati (interesting story behind the dish) was the most wonderful italian food. They only do take out, so we went back to the 2nd floor and had our dinner on the deck and then sat by the fire pit for the next few hours and met many wonderful people from all over the country. We then went across the street to the bar/rest.--forgot the name and watched the Olympics and closed down the place.
The BEST part of the Avia is the staff!!!!! Scott Diaz (rest. manager) was the most wonderful person that we have ever met in a hotel. He was so knowledgeable about the wineries to tour and about wine itself. He always remembered our names and ALWAYS went out of his way to make us feel very important! He was always there, so I'm not sure when he ever got time off. The Avia is truly blessed to have an employee like Scott, and I only wish that we lived closer because he could truly be someone we would love to hang out with!
We are already planning on going back next year for our 20th Anniversary and we will stay at the Avia AGAIN!!!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at AVIA! We are delighted to hear that the staff was a big part of your great stay. We are happy you were able to enjoy the amenities in the rooms and the AVIA Kitchen & Wine Bar. It is also great to hear you were able to visit with other guests from around the country while enjoying your dinner on the terrace. Thank you again for your nice comments, and we look forward to seeing you for your 20th anniversary.
St. George, Utah
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Told the hotel it was hubby's 50th surprise trip with friends and wanted quiet rooms away from the elevator. Away they were - all the way down at end of hallway, but right above the trash pickup. We were woken up every morning by trash pickup at 6:30! Kind of disappointed that a little more thoughtfulness could have been used by the hotel staff who assigned the rooms. Other wise, the concierge was great, the wine tasting was an added bonus, and the rooms were super clean and hip. If you have the money, get a suite because the regular rooms are very small as other visitors have indicated. Hotel charged us for a bottle water eventhough we didn't consume any, so do pay attention to your bill.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our AVIA Napa hotel and for letting us know of the challenges you had with the location of your room. Awareness of these issues helps us to work with our team so the next time we are better prepared to offer you the guest experience we strive for! I hope your husband had an enjoyable 50th birthday, and you will stay with us again in the future.
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This being our first time to Napa, I researched for weeks before finally making a decision on Avia. Even after, I was second guessing myself. We've stayed in new hotels and have not always had comfortable stays but since it's been open for several months, we hoped for the best. We couldn't pass up the great value! The nightly rate averaged $147 a night including weekends with the "staycation" package for California residents. Wow, what a deal that was! Even w/o breakfast included, we felt we got our monies worth and even more.

The check in isn't until 4 but our room was ready when we arrived around 1:30 and they even upgraded us to Lux Suite which has the double facing fireplace warming up both the luxurious bedroom and the living room. It was my b-day weekend and my father had ordered us a bottle of champagne which was waiting for us when we entered the room. Always a wonderful way to enter a hotel room! As if that wasn't wonderful enough, we were quickly taken with our room. So simple but elegant and luxurious. Loved the bathroom large enough for us to shower together, the double sinks and the lighting and cleanliness of it all was just perfect. We were on the 3rd floor facing the street but we were never bothered with noise in or out of the hotel.

We had breakfast in the hotel the first morning. It was good but we found other places near the hotel that was better and much less expensive. The lady at the concierge desk really knows her restaurants. She recommended the 2 breakfast spots which we loved and a cute little place for lunch, Gracie's Table (I think). Excellent service and food!

The evening wine was a lot of fun. But we didn't take advantage of it enough. There's just so much to do, taste, drink in Napa that we only participated on our first day. Next time...There will be a next time!

Avia, as new as it is, they have really worked out their little glitches. The service was impeccable through out. I still can't get over the value. Because we saved from accommodations, we splurged with wonderful dinners at La Toque (highly recommended) and Bistro Jeanty. It was a wonderful birthday weekend, one to remember.

Dear Valued Guest,
Wow! Thank you for the great comments regarding AVIA Napa! We are so pleased you decided to give us a try and ended up having a memorable staycation. It is nice to hear we were able to upgrade your room to a lux suite upon check-in, especially since you were also celebrating your birthday. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future so you can enjoy more of our evening tastings.
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I went up with my bf for Valentine's Day weekend. Arrived Saturday afternoon, valet parked the first day for $15 (self parked the rest of the trip at the garage behind the hotel… park on the 3rd floor or you might get towed). Valet parkers were young but were always very courteous... opened doors, helped with luggage and always said hello. The hotel is very new, a mix of modern and rustic. I helped myself to a glass of sangria before walking up to the desk to check in. Front desk staff was very polite and quick.

Went up to our room on the 4th floor (#416) that overlooked 1st street, even with it being a holiday weekend we never had trouble with too much street noise. The room (we got the master tub suite) was very spacious. The soaking tub in the bedroom was huge and definitely could fit two. The bed was big and not too soft. The bathroom was decent size with a 5 x 5 walk in shower. It had both a rain shower head and a hand-held that you can adjust the height. I appreciated the option of the hand-held as I'm not a fan of the rain shower (I think I'm the only one :P ).

The room with a separate living area was nice although we never used the living room half. The fireplace surprisingly gave off some good heat except we didn't use it much because of a high pitched noise it made every time we turned it on. This could have been a problem just with our fireplace and not all of them, not sure.

I only had one experience eating the hotel's food which was room service for breakfast. It’s one of my favorite parts of any vacation. Sadly, I think this may be the one place where this hotel is lacking. The menu choices are extremely limited. Your basics for lunch/dinner: club sandwich, burger, cheese/meat plate etc. Breakfast had options like fruit, cereal, and their signature which is eggs, potatoes, toast, bacon and sausage. I ordered the signature and asked for my eggs over medium; I was told they only serve scrambled eggs for "health reasons"?!?! I have never heard his before and was pretty disappointed, but whatever. My food arrived in about 20 minutes but they forgot the potatoes, and when they arrived they were not golden as it said on the menu but over buttered, over cooked and not one inch of crisp. Also, I had one piece of toast barely toasted and the other was burnt. At least the sausage was good? Sigh. As I said before, room service (especially for breakfast) to me is important, but other than this one minor problem our stay at Avia Hotel in Napa was delightful.

I must mention: the restaurant across the street, Norman's Rose Tavern is AWESOME. We ate here twice during our short stay and everything we had was great. Try the Bubbly Crab Artichoke Dip... my mouth waters just thinking about it.
If you’re looking to stay at a modern hotel in beautiful Napa Valley I would recommend you stay here.

Dear Valued Guest,
We are pleased to hear you had a delightful stay at AVIA. I apologize that we missed the mark on your breakfast room service. I do want to let you know that we are committed to enhancing our guest's experience with us by providing excellent customer service and your feedback greatly helps us with our staff training so that the next time you are with us we are better prepared to offer you the wonderful and memorable breakfast in your suite! In reading your comments in their entirety, I am glad to hear your overall stay was very enjoyable and we look forward to having you back with us again in the future.
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My stay was for 5 nights, attending a business conference. The hotel was very welcoming and the friendly barman provided a great supper in the open-plan restaurant bar, which proved an excellent antidote for the 12-hour flight from London to San Francisco. Much better than the welcome offered by most British hotels!
The standard room was comfortable and modern, with plenty of room and a fantastic bathroom with huge shower. All conveniences provided: coffee maker, safe, iPod-docking radio, air-con, ironing board, mini-bar and free WiFi internet. The bed was huge and provided a great sleep - despite jet-lag!
My only slight niggles were: 1. the air-con which, as the only heater for the room in winter, was a little noisy at night. I solved the problem by heating the room up and then switching it off before going to bed. Not a big problem though. 2. If you move anything in the mini-bar they'll automatically add something to your bill. We like fresh milk in our coffee and put a carton in the bar to keep cool. This confused their system - but it was soon smoothed out when we checked out.
Everything else was fine, clean and well-maintained.
The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere with a large skylight over a large communal table in the centre and lots of comfortable seating and tables round the room. The conference room was well designed and kept us all awake for 3 days!
I should mention the hotel concierge especially. She was extra helpful with finding out about local sightseeing, shopping and a tricky car hire arrangement which she managed with aplomb.
We enjoyed our stay at the Avia, both for business and as a base for exploring the beautiful Napa wine country.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
We are happy you had an enjoyable stay at AVIA Napa. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding the AVIA Kitchen and Wine Bar, décor and amenities offered. I apologize for the confusion with the mini-bar and I'm glad the front desk was able to correct. Thank you for your nice comments regarding the concierge. Everyone here strives to make each guest's stay special by assisting them with local information, restaurants and tours. We hope you will stay with us again should you be in the Napa area.
Sydney L McCoy
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I have stayed in and around Napa quite a bit. I was pleased to try this newer hotel this time around. The location is great and the room AMAZING. The price was right.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, February 4, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for giving AVIA a try on your recent visit to Napa. I'm glad you enjoyed the amazing room, bath and wonderful customer service. We look forward to you staying with us again soon!
In hospitality, Kristine Youngberg, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
The Westin Verasa Napa
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville
River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Andaz Napa? Share your experiences!