“What a shame”

GreenLeadersGold level
travilinman2
“What a shame”
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel two times. The first time my wife and I stayed here the food and service were excellent. The chef came to the table and talked to us and checked on how everything was. The second time was last week. It was very poor; while the front desk was very courteous and the bell staff was great too, the restaurant staff was unwelcoming and the chef was very cold. I am guessing that you have a new chef. The "sous chef" was agressive and not kind to his staff; we could hear him at the back of the dining room. Then we had the misfortune of running into the GM at check out. I didn't get her name nor did I wish to speak with her, so very rude, I've never seen someone berate her staff in such a way as to make it seem that she was caring all the while belittling them. If this were one of my employees I would have serious reservations about her, and putting her in front of guests. Her poor attempt at southern charm was offending as I am from the south. In closing I would like to say go back to opening staff, you had a winning crew there. If you stay with what you have, you're doomed to be nothing more than a mediocre, over priced hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, November 10, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the AVIA Napa and I do apologize that your second visit with us was not as enjoyable as the first. I understand that only being open only a few months, does not excuse poor customer service and I do want to let you know that we are committed to enhancing our guest's experience with us by providing excellent customer service and are clearly still working out some of the operational training issues that hotels, and other new businesses, experience in the first few weeks they are open. I appreciate your patience and understanding as we learn and grow. We hope we have the opportunity to show you what Napa is all about.
Yours in hospitality,
Kristine Youngberg, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Korean first
Virginia
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The Avia in Napa is brand new. It's in a great location, within walking distance to restaurants and bars, and it makes a nice home base for wine country exploring. The staff was friendly, although they did forget a few things.

Our room was spotless and roomy. It had a clean, contemporary look, vaguely Japanese (maybe it was the sliding bathroom door). The bathroom was terrific and had a nice tile tub with a shower head in the ceiling and another hand held shower head if you needed it. It also had a doublesink which is nice when you're traveling with a companion. The room had two large flat screen TVs, although we never turned them on. Wireless was complementary.

The hotel also has a restaurant and bar. A local winemaker was pouring sample glasses. We enjoyed some small plates a few glasses. The service was very slow. We also probably overpaid for valet parking. I believe that free parking is available, which I found out after booking with the valet package included. The downside is that it's not cheap, but very little is in Napa.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, November 3, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
I'm pleased to hear your first experience at AVIA was a positive one. We are happy you found the hotel, décor and amenities to be great! I do apologize for the slow service in the AVIA Kitchen + Wine Bar. Thank you for your recent stay and for your comments. We truly value the opinion of our guest and hope to see you again soon!
Arizona
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The bathroom was not cleaned upon check-in, the front desk staff acted as though we were bothering them if we asked any questions, and the concierge was zero help.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jfooArizona
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know of the service challenges you experienced during your stay. I do want to let you know that we are committed to enhancing our guest's experience with us by providing excellent customer service and your feedback greatly helps us with our staff training so that the next time you are with us we are better prepared to offer you the wonderful and memorable experience we strive for! I appreciate your patience and understanding as we learn and grow and am glad to hear that you would like to stay with us again in the future. If you would contact me directly the next time you are traveling to Wine Country, I would love to personally make your reservation for so that we may show you what the AVIA Napa is really all about.
Yours in hospitality,
Calgary
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I am a very demanding traveller and the AVIA exceeded my expectations with the delivery of a 5 star hotel experience at a 3 star rate. Beautiful new hotel with outstanding room amenities (double sided fireplace, huge flatscreen TV's, tasteful and modern decoration, comfy beds etc.). Concierge was very helpful, connected and knowledgeable and it became readily apparent that she truly cares about the guests' experience in Napa. Restaurant recommendations were "spot on" and she booked us on a truly memorable, first class tour of the Napa Valley (at a fraction of the price and hassle of what we could have arranged ourselves). An all round excellent experience here.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
I'm delighted to hear that AVIA exceeded your expectations and that the concierge was very helpful in making your trip to Napa a memorable time! Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We look forward to your next stay at AVIA Napa!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Stayed here a couple of days ago for a visit to Napa. The hotel is gorgeous-- modern design and very nice rooms (comfy beds). The valet, door, and front desk staff were very attentive, but the wait staff in the restaurant could have used some lessons from them. Had breakfast there and, though the food was good, the service was inattentive. I still give the hotel 5 stars, though, because everything else was A+

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I apologize for the inattentive service you experienced at breakfast. I am happy to hear that everything else met your expectations. Thank you for bringing to our attention we need to better the service in the Kitchen. I hope this does not impact the possibility of you returning to our hotel. We hope to see you again during your next stay in Napa!
Ontario
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for $114 I believe. Considering how much I've spent to stay at a Comfort Inn in my day, definitely great value! This is a new hotel, and it looks like a condo complex from the outside. Inside, its gorgeously hip! The decor is super modern, but still feels very comfortable. The staff were helpful, and the valet parking guys were friendly and always opened the front door on our way in and out. The conceierge was helpful in helping us figure out which wineries were worth a visit.

The room was definitely not huge, but felt more like a big city apartment than a hotel. It had a huge flat screen tv, sumptuous king bed, hardwood floors, area rug, a seeting area, ipod dock, dean and deluca snacks in the mini-bar, wine glasses (a must in Napa) and the coziest blanket I've ever cuddled up in on the bed. The bathroom was quite large, and had a rain showerhead as well as a regular one, and a seat in the huge shower that could fit 5 (very friendly) people (no tub though if you're a bath person).

There was an outdoor patio area on our floor (with propane heaters) which I believe is normally open for guest use, but we didn't get to check it out, as there was a function going on during our one night stay.

The hallyways are dark and atmospheric, and all the rooms have a doorbell to complete the apartment feel. Definitely a great hotel for couples. If our room is incdicative of all the room sizes, might not be the best for a family. Would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cary, NC
Reviewed October 9, 2009

we stayed at Avia Hotel in Napa. It is close to downtown Napa and is new with a very modern look and feel.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this review, October 14, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay at AVIA Napa. We are happy to hear you loved downtown Napa's newest escape. We welcome you back to AVIA soon!
Kristine Youngberg, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
The Westin Verasa Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville
River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Andaz Napa? Share your experiences!