“A nice hotel, great location, some work to do”
Review of Andaz Napa

Andaz Napa
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I recently stayed at the AVIA Napa, soon to be Andaz Napa) and it was a good overall experience. It is in the heart of downtown Napa within walking distance to all of the local shops, restaurants, and bars. If you plan on staying downtown then this would make a great choice. The parking was free if you did self-park in the deck just behind the hotel. It was a breeze getting in and out of the city from Avia to go explore Napa and the surrounding areas. A few areas of improvement would be to get a bit more organized in the lobby and restaurant. We stood around for almost ten minutes along with other patrons waiting to just speak with the hostess in regards to the wait for breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Having to wait at all was a first for me when it came to breakfast at a hotel. This was due to very limited seating. Also, with no formal front desk it is a tad confusing who to speak with regarding check in, recommendations, etc. Overall I would still recommend this hotel for the rooms, location, and value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,131)

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We were only here for a short time, but our Master tub suite on the top floor was great! The staff were beyond helpful and genuinely very nice. The fire side patio is a must with a nice bottle of wine.

The restaurant was pretty weak - we waited 40 min on a quite Thursday morning for pancakes before having to leave without our food to catch our limo.

So short story, stay hear but don't bother with the restaurant as there are so many options in walking distance.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

For the price, I didn't think this hotel was anything special. The rooms are nice and updated, but I noticed that there was rust around the bottom of our shower door which made me wonder about the maintenance standards overall. The location is very convenient in that you can walk easily to restaurants and bars in Napa and they have a parking garage attached to the hotel that is easily accessed and free if you park yourself. We stayed on top floor and it was very quiet, no problems there at all. The two ladies who were the concierges were very helpful in providing us ideas of wineries to visit & getting us the cards for those they had 2 for 1 tasting deals for. I don't know if we'd stay here again..we might look to see what else is nearby.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

There are so many great places to stay and this place was pretty awful. They are switching over to an Andaz hotel and were under construction. They never told us this when we made our reservation, nor did they apologize for the inconvenience. The rooms (ours was a "luxury king") were unremarkable and small. Furniture was ugly. Location - right in the town of Napa - is actually kind of sad. Lots of closed store fronts, and bad shops. Stay in St. Helena or Calistoga - closer to the best wineries and the scenery in either place can't be beat.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money
2  Thank Puffmome
Reviewed September 5, 2012

So I stayed for one night in the Lux Tub Suite. The suite is very nice, the bed comfortable and just different to have the tub in the room. LOVE the hard wood floors and the tiles for the tub area and bath. There is also a shower. The TV that turns to face the bedroom and the living room is also very nice. Overall the design of the rooms is quite modern but comfortable. They also do provide free travel sized amenities if you forget them (ie deodorant, toothpaste, etc). That portion was nice and I would stay there again. In addition, it's in downtown napa so restaurants, galleries, and walkable to the water front (which now seems less populated than it was a couple of years ago).

The terrace on the 2 floor is lovely - with firepits and swing benches.

We did try the terrace bar (which you can order food) and restaurant. They need better staff training. On the terrace, the server dropped 2 glasses of red wine behind us but did not automatically offer comps or dry cleaning, which we were able to get when complaining at the front desk. The breakfast was delicious (we had the breakfast sandwich and shrimp eggs benedict) so I would recommend trying that. Overall the stay was nice, minus the red wine spillage.

Room Tip: WE had one with windows that opened to the terrace. I would avoid this if you plan on staying for mo...
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Had an amazing weekend at the avia in napa. Had the room with the bathtub...very nice. Great staff, very nice and professional. Very comfortable bed, nice sheets. Rain shower is amazing. Came to surprise my husband. Great location, a ton of restraints within walking distance.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

It was a last minute decision making that room reservation at AVIA and I left the place knowing it was a good decision. What room did I settle for? It was one of the Hotel’s least expensive room categories. Take an average traditional size room, paint it with textures and textiles of a chocolate truffles, accent it with colors from a zest of a lime, than add a few ultra-modern electronics and fixtures like its contemporary farmhouse bath tub and fancy faucets; a built in swiveling faux wall housing a 52 inch digital LED TV, and you get a smart interior design; a specialty Hyatt brand room.

AVIA is boutique. The business model fits the revitalized “West End” of downtown Napa. I stayed at this swanky hotel on August 11 and found that all the features it advertises are pretty much current and on-point. However, the room I was assigned to (room number 506) was on the top floor, facing west which offered unappealing views of the neighboring buildings rooftops. This not-so-appealing view from my window wasn’t of any real consequence to me since I was only staying for a night. But, together with the outdoor noise coming from the HVAC equipment on the neighboring building was problematic. I usually can sleep through low mono-tone sounds, but this, not so much. It compared to hearing a helicopter, hovering 50 feet from my window. So needless to say, I didn’t get the best sleep in the most comfortable bed I’ve slept on at a Hyatt!

Upon my departure, the hotel begun another transition where the front desk will no longer exist and to were the hotel staff will now be more front-and-center. Upon my departure, a front desk staffer just started training on a modernized guest management software system, where it will require a more concierge approach; a more personalized service to your check-in experience! No longer cued-up in front of a counter! Yeah!

High occupancy left a weekend rate nearly $400 per night inclusive of all taxes so this hotel can be appreciated by the more sophisticated traveler. Overall, it is a great stay when in downtown Napa. I would stay again (but not in those banks of rooms again). And if the price point was not manageable, than the next best option would be the Napa River Inn.

Room Tip: Best to try to get a room with a view of First Street. If it's an upgrade -- it would be worth i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
The Westin Verasa Napa
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Andaz Napa? Share your experiences!