“Great Urban Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great Urban Hotel”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

The hotel has the urban boutique hotel vibe, similar to, though on a smaller scale, W hotels. The rooms are small, in keeping with the vibe. The lobby was active and often full of younger, hip travelers.

The rooms were clean and well appointed. The decor was contemporary and well suited to the overall style. Don't go here for the views, as many of the rooms look out onto downtown Napa roof tops. But when you are in Napa, you really aren't typically sitting around in your room looking out the window, you are out having a good time at the wineries.

The parking is in a public garage to the north of the hotel and is a short walk, but nothing terrible. In the evenings, they seem to sponsor wine tasting events from local wineries, which is a good crowd builder.

All in all, a great place to stay for it convenience to the downtown Napa tasting rooms, like the John Anthony space next door. BTW, the John Anthony Napa Cab 2007 was really a great wine.

Here is our only complaint: On Sunday morning the water was never hot. We assumed that this was due to the fact that the hotel was full and perhaps we chose a common time to shower.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jgregb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Korean first
Baltimore
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed at the Avia this fall as part of my fortieth birthday trip. My wife and I loved the gas fireplace and the mini balcony where we enjoyed sipping some of the wine we purchased during the day. The staff were great and the service topnotch!

The rooms were well appointed with a docking station for my iPod, a huge bed with very comfortable sheets. The bathroom while a little small had a great tub and shower.

We would stay here again when we go back to Napa.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Baltobruiser
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed at AVIA Napa over the President's Day Holiday Weekend. This was my first time to Napa so I had no idea what to expect. I really like the style of the hotel... had that boutique feeling to it. Very nice common areas (the outdoor patio on the 2nd floor was really neat!) and loved the fire place sitting area behind the bar. The staff seemed to really go out of their way - the front desk, the bartender (Hunter rocked!), bellmen, etc. They also had free wine tasting that Friday and Saturday night we stayed there which was neat. A few words of caution. We had breakfast that Saturday morning at the hotel restaurant. The food was really good and not overly priced but the service was VERY slow and it took FOREVER (I would say about 30 min from the time we ordered to when it was served). They did come an apologize and the charge was never applied to our room. The other caution I have is DO NOT get a room facing First Street. We had a room on the 2nd floor on the corner of First and more like an alley street (room 234). At 6:30 am Saturday the recycling truck woke us up and we could hear people coming in from a late night out. We also had electrical work outside our room window that woke us up on Monday about 6:45 am. I would try to get a room in the back of hotel and not close to the street.

Other nice thing about the hotel was it was close to everything in Napa. Restaurants, bars, shopping, and a Safeway. Also had free self parking! Would recommend!

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing First Street - very loud.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rockinjla
Vallejo
Reviewed February 22, 2012

The Avia in downtown Napa is well located near restaurants, wine bars, and boutique shops. The Oxbow Market is about 1/2 mile walk from the hotel. We enjoyed the feel of the contemporary design, and the rooms (while a little small) were well appointed and trendy. This fit our group's style!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Allen S
Las Vegas
Reviewed February 21, 2012

After having a fantastic stay at AVIA in Savannah a few months ago, I knew I wanted to stay at AVIA again for our overnight in Napa. It was my birthday so I decided to spoil myself with the Lux Tub Suite. I highly recommend this room.

The hotel has a very modern feel and the rooms are decorated beautifully. I loved the wall color and hardwood floors. We also had a great view of downtown Napa.

There’s a spacious living area with a comfortable couch and chair, a flat screen TV, and a mini-bar stocked with snacks, drinks, wine glasses, and cork screw. The top shelf in the fridge is open for guest use, but don’t pick up anything on the bottom shelves unless you want to pay for it.

The bedroom area has a comfy bed, a second flat screen TV, desk, and bathtub. Yes, the bathtub is in the bedroom but trust me it makes perfect sense. Connecting both the living area and bedroom is a fireplace that makes the room nice and toasty (why bother with the heater?). When you’re in the giant bathtub, you can watch the fireplace and spend the night relaxing.

The bathroom has two sinks and an enormous shower with two shower heads. The bath products are great and the shower is wonderful. There is a restaurant downstairs that serves breakfast. While we had a great meal, it was a little pricey for breakfast items.

My only complaints are similar to the AVIA in Savannah. The front desk employee we had was accommodating by letting us check in early but was also a little short. The concierge, while nice, I think was judging us a little bit. Yes, we are a younger couple and probably don’t look like we come from money like other guests in Napa, but being in sales I know that doesn’t really mean much. All the restaurants she suggested had entrees priced at less than $15 a person and I was hoping to have a really nice meal for my birthday. Also, all the wineries she suggested were giant and where all the tour busses drop off thousands of people a day. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe that’s what most of the guests are looking for and she suggests them to everyone.

Also, if you make a reservation with a particular discount code and need to change your reservation, make sure the same discount code is applied to your new reservation. I had originally had a AAA rate with free breakfast but needed to change the date of our stay. It’s easy to change your reservation online, but they had given me the AAA rate without the breakfast. When I went to check in, I asked about our free breakfast and was informed that I didn’t qualify. After checking my reservations later (the original and the changed date), I saw that the discount code had been changed.

Overall, this is a beautiful hotel right in downtown Napa and within walking distance to many restaurants and shops. Treat yourself right with a Lux Tub Suite. Free Wi-Fi and parking, valet extra.

Note to hotel: Everything was sparkling clean, except for the lightswitch in the bathroom (it was really dirty). Please make sure it gets wiped down too when cleaning the room!

Room Tip: If you can take a risk, book a cheaper room online and after your reservation you can opt to pay a f...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2012

On a busy weekend in Napa with most of the B&Bs bumping up prices and having limited space, Avia turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. The hotel is beautiful, with hard wood floors in the common spaces and the rooms being the highlight. Rooms have every amenity one could ask for: comfortable king beds, direct TV, IPod hook ups, etc. The common outdoor space has two gas fire pits where it's perfect to open your favorite bottle from the day and begin your night. Very friendly and helpful staff. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank gocompgo
whidbey island, wa
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The location of Avia is perfect for day tripping into the wine country. The valet service is fast and the staff was helpful and caring. We had a standard king room that was smaller than expected. I had asked for a quiet room and we were on the top floor but next to the stairwell, and unfortunately no view. Next time I would ask to be on the other side, looking at the city. We did have an issue with a rumbling noise in our room and management went above and beyond to make us happy! In the lobby there is a place for espresso and pastries if you don't want breakfast, and then you can get wine and drinks there later. A lovely touch was the "water bar" in the lobby, one day it was flavored with cucumbers and one day with citrus. We were pleasantly surprised with breakfast, although extremely slow, it was worth the wait. The kitchen uses all local farms for meat and produce, homemade jellies changed each morning. The "wine away" juice drink was awesome, don't miss it! It's a freshly squeezed, interesting combination of fruits and veggies. At the end of the day the selections of restaurants is incredible. We went to Morimoto's and it was everything you would expect, perfection! We also ate at Norman Rose Tavern across the street and it was excellent.

Room Tip: our room was 541, there was a rumbling noise that came from the air exchange, it's next to the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
#1 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,034 reviews
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn
River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Andaz Napa? Share your experiences!