“Perfect Napa Stay”

Andaz Napa
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 27, 2011

My husband and I made our first trip to Napa this week. We stayed three nights at the Avia hotel in downtown Napa, which was absolutely beautiful. We were extremely impressed by the lobby staff, in particular, Nicole who checked us in and upgraded our room to a gorgeous suite that had a wonderful view. My husband and I celebrated a 10 year anniversary on this trip. The room had two flat screen TVs, a deep soaking tub (with a view of downtown Napa). Bedding was lush and plush. Walking distance to great shops, wine tasting venues, restaurants, etc. 9 mile drive to Yountville foodie stops. We will absolutely return to Avia on a future visit and would recommend the hotel for couple's looking for an upscale, but non-pretentious stay in a wonderful Napa location.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear your celebrated your 10th anniversary with us and had a perfect stay. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff. Everyone works hard to ensure every guest has a relaxing, memorable stay and it sounds like we succeeded.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Kristine Youngberg, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,097)

Reviewed May 25, 2011

I recommend a room with a tub, it is fantastic. The room was very nicely decorated with many amenities (mini bar, large shower, nice view, living room). We ended up in the bar one evening around 9:40 (they close at 10). The bartender was hospitable and did not hurry us along even though he was closing. We ordered some snacks and some wine and enjoyed our time. The parking is a little inconvenient as it's in a garage around the corner, but it's only about 1/2 a block. The location is nice. I had been told not to stay in downtown Napa, but we had a great time and loved the hotel. We will likely stay there the next time we are in Napa.

Room Tip: Get a room with a tub.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

It is so great to read that you enjoyed your stay at AVIA and the downtown area of Napa. Thank you for your kind words regarding the décor and amenities offered.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Napa.

Reviewed May 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Avia for three nights. Quite pleased with the room and decor. Modern approach to the hotel's design was really nice. The rooms were kept clean and everything was in working order. My only complaint was that the AC unit is one that has the compressor in the wall of the bedroom resulting in a sound of the compressor kicking in and a blowing noise at various times during the night. I am a light sleeper so I was awoken several time during the night. Of course, with all the nice wines I tried I was able to go right back to sleep! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I went to AAA to the best rate
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I am so sorry you experienced some noise with your air conditioning unit during your stay. I understand being a light sleeper and I am glad you were able to go back to sleep easily. Thank you for the nice comments regarding the decor and cleanliness of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

This is a very cool, modern hotel in an area dominated by B&B's and resorts of one faux design type or another. It is right in the city of Napa, which if you have not been to the valley before is not really the center of things. If you picutre a town in the Napa valley, you're picturing St. Helena or Yontville, not Napa. Napa is a nice enough town, though much of it holds little interest to tourists and is really the industrial working part of the wine business.

All that said, if you want a good base from which to explore, or you have business in Napa, and you want a cool hotel with good food and huge nice rooms, this is it. I've stayed here a few times now and will keep coming back whenever I have business in Napa.

There are however, a few shortcomings. First, the hotel staff is very, very nice and they are really trying to be helpful. However, I think their training must fall somewhat short as basic things often go by the boards. Things like no change at the front desk, which is irritating, especially if you're trying to tip someone. I noted the valets, again super nice guys trying hard, didn't know directions to other hotels/meeting facilities that turned out to be 5 minutes drive away. It's tough to blame them as the concierge didn't know either and by the time both trying looking it up, I had it on my phone and was on my way. Lastly, no one should have to have a phone ring 50+ times to order room service. This has happened to me on every stay at this place and they really need to get on their phone system.

All that said, I'd still go back. I love beautiful design and this place has it. The rooms and beds are very comfortable and there's plenty of space to spread out. Fix a few things with the staff and it's a total winner.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank expeditiondaddy
AVIANapaGM, General Manager at Andaz Napa, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stays with us. I am very sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced with us due to having new or not enough staff to take the care of our guests in a way that lives up to our AVIA Napa standard. We have a wonderful new Director of Guest Services on board as of the last couple months and are working closely together to address all of these concerns, and I am confident that your next stay with us will be everything you and we would want it to be.

I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you about your stay and how we can work together on a future visit so that we may show you what the AVIA Napa is really all about!

I appreciate your patience and understanding as we learn and grow and look forward to speaking with you at your convenience.

Reviewed May 14, 2011

A great little gem that is relatively new in Napa, a relatively quiet town. Would be a good place to start out from if you're exploring the wineries around the area. I do have to say we didn't spend very much time in the hotel, and didn't check out the rest of the hotel beyond the lobby and the room.

Pluses:
Modern yet cozy little hotel, under 150 room hotel.
Bathroom size was relatively large, as compared to room size.
Free parking! Parking garage is a few minutes walk away
Seems to be a huge store right next to the parking garage, and there's a safeway a couple blocks away.

Minuses:
One of the rare hotels that didn't provide bedroom slippers.
Hotel room is kind of small in size, but then again, that was already expected

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We are so glad you enjoyed your time at AVIA. I do apologize you felt your room was on the small side. We do offer several room types that vary in size. Had we known while you were here that the room did not meet your needs, we would have shown you the other options available.

I do hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Napa.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Most of Avia's rooms are ADA and I strongly suggest asking for one even if you're not disabled - plenty of room and a very nice layout, especially in the bathrooms. Note there are different layouts so check in early and make sure you like what you see, or ask for another room. There was some background mechanical noise at night, but nothing outrageous. Hotel is no noisier than any other these days; you have to pay a lot of money for a soundproofed room these days!

Decor is good and location is outstanding. So far this is the best value on the Napa side of the Wine Country and ideal for exploring the area. Self-parking is free on third floor of garage right behind the hotel, very convenient.

Room Tip: Check in early for ANY hotel to get a choice of rm
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

It is so great to know you've found the best value on the Napa side of wine country. Thank you for the great comments regarding the rooms and location. While we do have seven ADA rooms available at the hotel, we do offer several different options for our remaining 134 rooms. I am so thrilled you enjoyed AVIA and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 6, 2011

Location of this hotel is great and easy to find but the location of my "Lux Suite" on the fourth floor over looking the very loud Terrance on the second floor is not ideal-although the website shows this gathering spot closing at 10 p.m. , the chatter and cackling doesn't stop till midnight. My room is also next to the elevator which I can hear through the wall along with running water from nearby rooms. There must be someone with pretty heavy feet walking above my room as I can hear that as well.
Additional comments-understaffed front desk upon arrival (1 person for what looked like 8 couples), expensive laundry rates (11.95/jeans), the restaurant doesn't have a full liquor license and the wirelss connection has to be renewed every 24 hours. It is clean and located conveniently in downtown Napa but there must be a better place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Upfield

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of the challenges you had during your stay. I am so sorry to hear about the noise issues that prevented you from relaxing the way you should have been able to and the check-in process was not smoother and more timely . This is certainly not the normal experience we would like our guests to have.

I appreciate your patience and understanding as we learn and grow.

Kristine Youngberg, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
The Westin Verasa Napa
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Andaz Napa? Share your experiences!