“The rooms vary a lot in quality”

Silverado Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Silverado several times. The previous times the rooms were fabulous! This time however, I stayed in a different area and it was not what I expected. We could hear the people above us loud and clear. I had expected a room on the golf course, with a pretty fireplace but this is not where we ended up. I think I probably did not ask the right questions when booking this room and made some (faulty) assumptions. I did not ask for our room to be changed nor did I talk to anyone about my concerns. I will stay there again but I will ask more questions. The staff is truly outstanding. The restaurant is very good and I appreciate having it so close and conveniently located. The bed is really comfortable and the condo was very clean.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the golf course are nicer.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear DayTripper,

First off let me start by thanking you for being a frequent guest of the Resort. It's always nice to hear from guests that have stayed with us a few times so we know how we are doing. It sounds as though this last visit was not as great as your previous visits and I do want to apologize for that. As I mentioned in the last review, we are working very hard with our current room renovations and I am confident that you will be very pleased with the end result of that renovation. We have some great changes ahead of us....stay tuned!

Warm Regards,
John Evans
Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (3,977)

Reviewed December 3, 2013

The staff was very friendly and professional however the actual facilities are dated and getting old. Would not recommend paying high season rates but off season is very reasonable. Enjoyed our stay but the parking lot is far from the room.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SimpleGuy,

Thank you very much for your review. While we were glad to read that you enjoyed our staff, I do want to apologize that your expectations were not met with regard to the facilities. We are working very hard at changing that. We are in the middle of a major room renovation and will be beginning a renovation with our Conference facility as well in the coming weeks. The changes are very positive and we have been receiving some great feedback. We hope that you will return in the future once everything is complete and give us another try.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Warm Regards,

John Evans
Managing Director

Reviewed December 1, 2013

A girls' getaway. We paid in adv req 2 queen beds. We were excited to be in the Napa Valley,to explore by bicycle. The website boasted bike rentals, and daily yoga. We were given a room with one king bed &were told the resort would be full on the 3rd night so no room w 2 beds. We booked 3 weeks in adv!!! Our stay Monday - Friday, yoga only Sundays. And no bikes! The worst part? 4 unauth charges on my Credit card. We paid in full in adv, but day 1 charge $420+, day 2 = $80+, day 3 = $250+, day 4 = $670+. Desk said don't worry, only preauthorized, but it affects your credit room! Over $1400 for a paid in full? 16 days later still waiting for my $670+. (1st 3 charges disappeared once we got home.) The shining light? The maintenance man for our TV remote! Napa town? Fantastic. Location? Great. Credit card charges? Terrible!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the bathroom door actually closes off the bathroom! The bathroom was lovely...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Omaveron,

Thank you very much for letting us know how your visit went. I do want to apologize that your stay did not go as you had hoped it would. I am currently trying to find out about these credit card charges that you incurred and why they happened.

Currently, through the winter season, we do not keep the bikes on property for rental. However, we are still able to reserve the bikes for you if you wish and the company will come to the property and drop them off upon request. I do apologize that this was not communicated to you properly.

I do appreciate you recognizing our Engineer and I am glad that he was able to make your visit a little more pleasant. I certainly hope that we are able to make this up to you as I know we can make your next visit much more pleasurable. Thank you again for your feedback and I sincerely hope we will see you back at Silverado in the future.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We visited Napa recently during the Napa Film Festival. We left it quite late to book a hotel and most of the high end hotels were fully booked so we booked Silverado....and we were pleasantly surprised.
We booked a junior suite which was perfect for a couple. We had a private entrance and a lovely room with a cosy fire.
We are not golfers so didn't take full advantage of what the resort offers, but we appreciated how nice the grounds were which were pretty to wake up to each day.
The location is just perfect for the Silverado trail and wineries. We would highly recommend Silverado and will definitely consider returning!

Room Tip: Junior suite with fireplace if your are their in the fall/winter.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Rosita,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay during the Napa Valley Film Festival and do hope it won't be too long before you can return again.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

My first visit to the Silverado was many years ago, but I have had the great fortune to visit twice in this past week! First, I love the grounds - the resort is very spread out and has wonderful trees, landscaping, water fountains, etc. and two golf courses. Second, I love the historic charm. The main registration building is a historic mansion (pictured above), all white with beautiful wood trim inside. There is a large, beautiful stone bar and a gorgeous parlor with an outdoor patio that overlooks the golf course, along with several fireplaces. All of the ancillary buildings (such as the golf pro shop building, etc.) have a similar feel.

The room that we stayed in was one of the "Junior Suites"...well worth a few extra dollars over the standard room. The junior suites have a wood-burning fireplace and small kitchens with a microwave and apartment-sized refrigerators, along with basic dishes and silverware. The first junior suite that we stayed in had a nicely appointed bathroom, and although the second was a bit more dated, it was still very clean and spacious. Since we had visited in the past, we brought along some grocery basics to make some of our meals "at home", saving some money, as well as extra long-burning fire logs for the fireplace. We had a king-sized bed that was super-comfy, and our home-away-from-home was very quiet. We never heard any noise from neighbors, etc.; it was very peaceful.

The morning after our Thanksgiving Day stay, we opted for the breakfast buffet in the golf pro shop restaurant, and it was really wonderful. Again, the dining area was not opulent, but felt very comfortable, and the food was traditional, breakfast staples (such as fresh fruit, eggs benedict, bacon, waffles, etc.), all very tasty and well-prepared, without being "fussy". Even the corned beef has was delicious and tasted like your grandma would have made it. At $23, it was a very good value and had something for everyone.

Finally, I would like to comment about the "welcoming feel" at Silverado. We felt so at home while there that it almost seemed like we WERE "home" - not at all "hotel-y". The friendly, yet unobtrusive, staff added to the warm overall feel. For us, the laid back feel was a major plus. For those that are looking for more of the upscale, ritzy feel, Auberge du Soleil and many others would probably be a better choice, but if you are looking to feel "at home", Silverado can't be beat. We would stay again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We stayed in two different junior suites in 2 different locations (the first closer to the mansion o...

Dear Lisa,

I really appreciate the time you took in letting us know how your visit with us went. It was nice to read that you not only enjoyed your visit with us, but you had the opportunity to visit us twice in the past week or so.

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day stay and you were able to relax and enjoy all we have to offer. What a beautiful week it was too! You couldn't have asked for better weather.

Thank you very much for your kind words and we hope you will be back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We had two days in a condo attached to this resort, condo was very nice and overlooked the Golf course. The grounds to the entrance of the resort were very smart and an impressive entrance to the main building. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The main building just lacked that Wow
Decor and think that it had been like that for ages. Definately, needs some money spending on it as it is a great building. The Condo was well equipped, warm and cosy. There was nothing wrong with the Condo and we had a very pleasant stay.
Graham S
Malvern UK

Room Tip: Stay in a condo not the main building
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stozzer1

Dear Graham,

Thanks for your review. It sounds as though you had a nice visit while you were here and I do appreciate your feedback on the decor in the Mansion. It is something that we are taking a look at and is a work in progress.

Thank you for staying with us and please come back again soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have stayed here on three different occasions this year: during the spring, in the height of summer and now the autumn. The rooms are great and include small kitchen facilities so you can snack, make coffee, or have some wine and crackers. Refrigerators can be stocked with wine and drinks. Staff are unobtrusive and allow you the freedom to come and go while being discreet in coming in to clean up and refreshen your room. And, the Spa! Oh, the Spa: there is an exercise room, a pool, a little cafe, a store and a big area for Spa services. You are greeted by Spa desk staff with a warm welcome. The facilities are pristine and the massages are wonderful. Go for your spa early and the rest of the facilities are yours for the day! What a deal. Relaxing and fun. The golf courses are well kept and the grill will feed you great breakfasts and meals throughout the day. There is a bar inside the main house that has a veranda and you can look out on the golf course and dream away your day.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wairRwe
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review! It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your visit! Please come back and stay with us again soon!