“It's time to refurbish (just make sure and notify affected guests).”

Silverado Resort and Spa
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second visit to Silverado. Give credit to Lori for doing her best to overcome a major booking mistake (we had specific reservations for the Merlot house 5 months in advance and, upon arrival from Texas, were informed it was under renovation). Our party consisted of 3 couples needing 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, which was not possible other than the Merlot. So, after several discussions, Lori made a nice financial concession for us to accept lesser accommodations. So, on to the review . . .
Unit 806S - 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms -The kitchen and bathroom counter tops were acceptable but dated (for Silverado's price range, granite counter tops would be nice). The wallpaper in the bathrooms was a pretty clear indication of age. The interior doors are plain flat wood veneer doors that give the appearance of homes from 30 years ago. Kitchen cabinets and appliances look to be 20 to 30 years old. We certainly didn't go to Napa to watch TV, but to have no stations provided in HD was a bit of a surprise. We did have a nice back porch area facing #8 and #12 fairways on the south course. We also watched the fireworks display the evening of the 3rd from the area right outside our back door, and that was really nice.
We did not eat at the restaurants, but used the spa for 3 messages, and they were done well. The south course golf course was a nice layout with some good water features. Greens were in pretty good shape. Based on reading reviews of golf courses, it was hard to pick a course that was really a "nice course." However, I can say that after playing the Sonoma Golf Club and both the North and South courses at Silverado, the Sonoma Golf Club course is clearly the nicer course. I'm not saying the Silverado courses are bad, but there is a better course in Sonoma.
The grounds at Silverado resort are maintained very beautifully. It is time in this resort's life to start spending money on refurbishing the actual accommodations and structures. It is a large enough resort to do this in phases, still operate the resort, generate revenue and give the place a well-deserved facelift to the interiors of the resort accommodations. Just make sure, in the event of a specific reservation, to notify your guests in advance of their arrival if a particular unit is unavailable. That is just simple common sense and a staple of good customer service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott V
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that we were not able to accomodate you and your guests in the Merlot Suite at the time of your visit due to the renovation of that room. We are working very hard at completing a major room renovation here at the Resort that will include the updates you wrote about - new kitchen and bathrooms, appliances, televisions and HDTV. As you can imagine, it is a very large process and one we can only do sections at a time. We do hope that when the renovations are completed, that you will have the opportunity to visit us again. I think you will be very pleased with the end result.

From reading the rest of your review it sounds as though the rest of your stay was pleasant and I was glad to read you had a prime location to view our fireworks show on the 3rd. Again, please accept our sincere apologies. We do hope that you will be back to visit us soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked the Silverado because it sounded great! But we were in a two-bedroom suite which was, as the staff pointed out, two miles from the hotel. We arrived at lunchtime, so we checked in, had lunch, went out to a winery and then went to our room. The air conditioning probably hadn't been on in a while, so it took a full four hours to get comfortable. I would have thought since they knew we were coming, that it would have been ready - it was nearly 100 degrees out! We had to drive everywhere which was a pain. It was like a retirement home. Actually I think it is. Anyway, the living room rug had huge burn marks in them which put me off right away. But it was comfortable and quiet. Just far from everything. We ate lunch in the grill which was very good. The "world class" spa was okay.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for something close to the spa/restaurants...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tripdaddio
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

I am sorry to hear that you did not find Silverado as a good match during your recent visit. It is very disappointing to hear of your experience. Our standard is to turn on the air conditioning on hot days prior to our guests arrival so that the room is at a comfortable temperature when you arrive. I do apologize that this was not the case for you. We will check into what happened and make sure that it does not happen in the future.

We understand that the distance can be somewhat of an issue for some of our guests. Our Bell Department is just a phone call away and would be pleased to take you to where you'd like on property. Guests are welcome to request areas near to the main facilities and we will do our best to accommodate those requests.

We thank you for your review and sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was very disappointed by my stay at Silverado. Compared to just about every other resort I've stayed at, this was a huge disappointment. To go into specifics:

- Slow checkin, both the wait & actual process
- Our room was in the 700s & a medium walk. Not bad in normal conditions but in direct sun & 90+ degree temperatures, and wearing a suit, not fun. I had called for a cart, but after waiting 20 minutes (outside), I called again. I was told "things are really busy" and "it'll be 20 minutes." Considering it was 6:40 and my event was 6:30, I had to walk.
- Parking was confusing & not explained. There was * tandem* parking for my unit & another unit. How do we keep from blocking each other in?!
- House keeping would make the bed, but items such as shampoo, weren't replenished every day.
- Interactions with staff tended to be curt, unfriendly & unhelpful.
- When I checked into my room, the temperature *in* the room was 90. The AC was also underpowered, so it wasn't until 10 or 11pm that it cooled down to the 70s.
- We received inconsistent information on if we could rent a cart to get around the property ourselves (given the prior experience with wait times).

On the plus side, I enjoyed the food at the breakfast buffet. The bacon was damn good. Although as much as I like bacon, I don't know if that trumps everything else being terrible.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill R
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit. It is disappointing to read when we haven't exceeded our guest's expectations and yours is no exception. I have taken your comments and spoken with my management team about them and what we could do better for other guests coming into the resort. Without a doubt, your interactions with our associates could have been a much better experience and we will work towards improving that. Parking should be something that is explained to each guest as they check in and I will follow up with why it wasn't explained to you. I do appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

When I first arrived at this hotel, it was very dark. I was immediately taken by "the Mansion" as the hotel calls it driving up. This is where you check in & where one of the bars is located. You can tell it was once an old house & the hotel was smart enough to keep in it's glory.

All I could think my whole trip was, "why would anyone stay at a hotel when they can stay here?" This place is truly Napa as I'd always imagined. The golf courses are beautiful, the views while you're dining are breath-taking & the staff is truly top-notch. It even has real keys as opposed to the plastic ones I manage to demagnitize daily at a regular hotel.

As if all that wasn't enough....the spa staff & services are amazing. Find time in your trip to go to the spa and you will not regret it.

I will say the downside was all the walking on my heels :-) Ladies, bring flats or wedges because I went straight to shoe repair when I got home.

Seriously, why stay anywhere else?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank OSUjules

Thank you for your very kind review. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our surroundings and that you found the staff top-notch. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Their golf rates show that they are "too full of themselves". It is just an average course in a nice setting. The spa isn't really there. The burger at the Grill is something you definitely don't want to miss. They cater to vacationers, so if you are local (as I am) go somewhere else to play golf or get spa treatments. Couple of "turn offs"; Cannot make online tee time reservations, do not allow pets to accompany guests. Couple of nice things, the grounds are well cared for and extensive.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. While we were glad to read you did enjoy the burger at the Grill and the grounds here at the Resort, it was disappointing to read that you felt our golf courses were only just average. We take great pride in our golf courses here and I am sure you probably know that our North Course has been updated by Johnny Miller and was voted as one of the top 50 Best Resort Courses in 2012 by Golfweek magazine. Not only that, but we were thrilled to announce last week that the PGA Tour will be back at Silverado next year with the Frys.com Open! Exciting news not only for us, but for the whole community and since you said you were local, we hope you will be back to see the event for yourself. We do welcome your insight and hope that we'll see you soon at the Grill for another burger!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

The first thing that struck me was the long driveway up to a beautiful white mansion - made me very excited to check in. We were treated like royalty by all of the staff that we came across. Unfortunately the room we had did not live up to the mansion! It was adequate but nothing special - seemed a bit run down. We had wonderful service everywhere and enjoyed our meal in the lounge and breakfast at the restaurant. If you can get a good deal for this hotel it will be worth it. Our visit was during a heat wave so we did not play tennis or golf....just toured the local wineries which were fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank livetotravel50

Thanks for your review. While I am disappointed to read that your stay was not all it could be, we are certainly very happy that our associates made up for it. We do continue to work very hard in updating our rooms here at the Resort and we hope you have the opportunity to come back and see them for yourself. I know you will be very pleased. Thank you again for the recognition or our associates and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My doubles partner and I stayed in one of the 2-bedroom suites. What a great setup. The tennis courts were about 70 feet from our front door. Nice kitchen, great bedrooms and each had their own bath. We were there to compete in a tournament with our team, so our place became the team headquarters. Everyone thought it was first rate. Unfortunately, it rained but that's not in the control of the resort.

I had stayed at the Claremont in Berkeley in April for another tennis event. It was terrible, Silverado helped wipe out those bad memories.

Planning on staying there again in September and bringing my wife.

Room Tip: If you ask to be near the tennis courts, you will also be near the restaurants.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Reno D

Your feedback about your recent visit with us is most appreciated. I am glad to read you had a great stay. It is disappointing that the rain came in just in time for a tennis tournament, but I am happy that it didn't deter you from having a good experience. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Resort in September!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Silverado Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!