“Superb Four Days - and a great staging point for the Wine Trails!”

Silverado Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've just returned from a fantastic four days at the Silverado Resort. I was travelling with friends whose main goal was golf, and as I don't play, they assure me that the two courses were fantastic. I, however, was using it as a staging point for exploring the wineries of the region, and I couldn't have chosen a better location! The resort is just at the bottom of the Silverado Trail, so you can easily head out and follow it all the way north past the most amazing wineries, then once you reach the top, you can head back north down the St Helena Hwy, past even more wineries, giving you a perfect circuit. The resort is also very close to Napa town, giving easy access to its shops and restaurants etc.

The resort is based around a stunning mansion house, and the drive up is very impressive. I was greeted by bellmen who watched my car whilst I checked in, and I found the reception staff extremely welcoming and friendly. In fact, this was true for all staff, and I appreciated their clear desire to offer help and make my stay enjoyable. For example the concierge listened to what I was looking for before giving me a list of his recommendations, and the bartender was happy to spend time suggesting which wine I might enjoy, and which wineries in the region she enjoyed.

After check in I was given a map of the resort and directions to my condo. The condo was extremely comfortable (great beds and bedsheets etc), scrupulously clean and fully appointed with all I needed (including a great mini-bar). I was in one of the older units due for refurbishment so the bathroom fixtures were a little dated, but they were all immaculately clean with fluffy towels and great amenities, and so this was more than made up for. The condo was very spacious with lots of storage and I really enjoyed having a living room to relax in after hectic days!

Another lovely surprise was the gym in the spa. I didn’t have any treatments but the gym was fantastic! It had friendly staff, was immaculately clean, and masses of modern machines (some I’d never even seen before!). They even have classes, although I was impressed enough with myself that I managed a few short workouts in the gym.

I understand that the resort is currently undergoing a lot of improvements due to new owners and management, and you can see that they are passionate about this and I look forward to visiting again and following it’s progress. I had a great stay – and it can only get better!

Oh, and I had one of the best Caesar Salad’s ever through room service – a very unexpected and happy surprise!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful remarks about your experience here at the Silverado Resort and Spa. Your comments were shared with our staff who were delighted to hear that your stay was of the quality that we have come to be known for in the Napa Valley. We hope it won't be too long before you can come back and visit us again. Thanks again for your review!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,906)

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Beautiful grounds then it comes to a screeching halt, we flew out from Charleston SC for our marriage had sent multiple request assuring we would have a gas fire place among other things neither were answered. When we arrived last Friday we were greeted by a Latino gentlemen that clearly was not happy or comfortable with his job. He was only one working at desk, and there was multiple people waiting when we walked in. after 15 minutes or so we made it to him, no eye to eye contact, smiles nothing. We got a room key and he pointed room was over there and handed me a map. We got to room it was cold, smelled and of course had no gas fireplace. There was a old fireplace with a dura flame log, and the placed smelled so bad you could tell the chimney did to draw well. I could go on about other things, we couldn't find mini bar for champagne I was told was in room, we found it next day in corner of closet, and it had not been restocked properly, coffee never was restocked, and no one ever showed up with it,maid came by next day to acknowledge bar had not been restocked but we never opened it after that because we didn't want to risk charges that weren't ours later.

Soooo next day we woke up did wine train, great time, hit some good wineries along the Silverado Trail then returned back looking forward to a good dinner,By the way first time to Napa and we loved it! anyway we arrived and were told it would be a half hour, we were 15 minutes early so we went to bar to get there special pineapple infused Mai Tai theybadvertised...well 1 bartender was there to serve a full restaurant, she had approx 8 tables to serve in bar area, atleast 10 tickets that just sat there for dining room, and when we did get here attention she left for a few minutes and returned with Dole Pineapple juice, and didn't really know how to make a Mai Tai, when I asker her about the infused Mai Tai she gave me deer in head lights look....so we walked over to the lounge next door to get the elusive Mai Tai, we passed 2 people smoking in the bushes and when we got next door were informed by he delightful Latino gentlemen that checked us in, that there was no bartender ..when I asked him if it was the guy outside smoking a cigarettes was the bartender he mumbled a obscenity and told me we would get them when they got back. I'm not making this stuff up....we flew 2500 miles for this crap, I met one capable soul, I felt sorry for the guy, he cared and no one else did, you could tell it hurt him and that he dealt with this crap everyday NOONE cared and he did, he was a bellman that had been there 30 years, he acted as a manager and said he was in charge, when I asked where the GM or desk Mgr was he simply said there is NOONE but I will make it right. We walked back over to dinner sat down, no service, our waitress had to leave after we were sat, as we were getting up to leave a young lady came up and apologized and here came the bellman to see how we were doing. It was just a sad thing seeing a guy that cared and NOONE else did, let me say this,the food when we got it was good, but we were so worn out it was impossible to enjoy anything at that point and we left at 730 the next morning to go explore and head back to San Fran to the airport that evening. I am so frustrated the way we were treated I know I went on and on, but I never have been so inspired to tell people DO NOT GO Somewhere, we will be back for a longer stay but I had planned this as a surprise elopement. If they make serious changes in culture of the way they treat customers, make major overhaul in Mgt. Hell make the bellman the GM, atleast he cares. We would come back because we loved location. Hospitality industry just doesnt seem to get we expect atleast average in today's screwed up world, when you get above that you rave, when you can't even get average, and peoplemdont care its just a job for them......like I said earlier its a damn shame.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank beltwayorbust
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of a week in Napa - we moved a few times and this facility was our least favorite. There wasn't anything really wrong - it just didn't have a warm welcoming feeling. It is like many other golf resorts. If you are there to golf and just looking for a place to rest your head and stash your clubs it's probably a good bet. (however the rooms are so small you'll want to make arrangements to stash your clubs elsewhere).
We were there on Superbowl Sunday. Given the proximity to SF I was hoping there would be some sort of party atmosphere and a place to watch with other fans. That wasn't the case. We went to our room to watch for awhile but there was no place comfortable to sit in our room. The room was furnished with a bed and two metal chairs and a matching table that reminded me of something you would see in an ice cream parlor. When we couldn't find a fun place to watch the superbowl in the resort we asked for some suggestions. The clerk at the front desk was willing to share his thoughts but none of his ideas spoke to us.I think he was telling us where he would go if it were him with no consideration that we were many years older and looking for a somewhat different experience.
We seemed to be the only people staying in the unit or maybe even the surrounding few units but we were still told we had to park across the street and haul our luggage across the street and up a flight of stairs.If you are just looking for a room you can certainly find nicer accommodations at any number of facilities and for a similiar price. When we couldn't find a fun place to watch the superbowl in the resort we asked for some suggestions. The clerk at the front desk was willing to share his thoughts but none of his ideas spoke to us.I think he was telling us where he would go if it were him with no thought that we were many years older and looking for a somewhat different experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chocchic066

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I do want to apologize that you did not have the quality experience that we have come to be known for here at the Resort. We pride ourselves on our guest service and making each customer feel welcome, it sounds like in this instance we did not meet those standards and we will take immediate steps to remedy. I do appreciate you letting us know about your stay and sincerely hope that you will give us another chance the next time you visit the Napa Valley.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is our 2nd condo rental with friends at Silverado for a major occasion. Last time was a 2BR, this time a 3BR.

Unit 800 is ground level on a par 5 fairway just past the tee box, with plentiful furniture on the patio and great views from all bedrooms and the living area.

The unit looks to be owner-occupied for part of the year with many closets and cabinets locked, and no mini-bar (though the front desk will provide a key for it?!). Not to worry - everything essential is available and the quality of the space in the mornings and evenings before and after a day of wine tasting is beyond compare. Just stock up on beverages and snacks before checking in.

If you are looking for deals, book in the winter months and you can luck into some gorgeous days as we did. Worst case, this unit has a fireplace to cozy up on a chilly evening.

Room Tip: Look for bargains during off season. Napa is rated on Twitter as one of the happiest places in the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with Silverado Resort and Spa and that you had the opportunity to stay in one of our 3 bedroom suites. It sounds as though you had the chance to take advantage of everything those rooms have to offer. It is a great room to rent when you are traveling with family or friends. Thank you for being a return guest to the Resort and for letting us know about your experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed one night and thought it was wonderful! Staff was very friendly at check in and more than happy to accommodate my husband when I asked for a place to plug in his car (turns out he forgot his cord, but they were ready to make space and an outlet available to him had he remembered). Room was clean and toiletries were really nice. The bathroom fixtures were a bit dated, but the toilet, tile and tub were very clean and so well maintained that it was not an issue. I hate seeing mold stains or grout chips in old bathrooms, but this room didn't have any of that. Plenty of closet space to put our stuff and the furniture and bed were clean and comfortable. The room was very quiet which I greatly appreciated as we stayed the night before in a Calistoga hotel that was very noisy.
What we really enjoyed was the excellent service and great food at the restaurant on site. Our server, Francisco, was very attentive and so friendly. He answered all our questions about the menu, and when I asked about a wine that wasn't on the menu, he went to great strides to find me something I would enjoy. The Farm to Table salad was fantastic (lettuce was very fresh) and the Key Lime Pie and Lemon Cheesecake with blueberries were DELICIOUS!
In the morning we enjoyed breakfast and once again the service was wonderful. Norma was very sweet and brought us tea and coffee. Our server, and I am so disappointed with myself that his name is escaping me as I write this, was wonderful! In case the Silverado Resort reads this, I do remember he is from Mexico City, has very short hair and blue eyes.
The location was easy to get to, the grounds are huge with a lot of swimming pools, and I would love to return and try the spa. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We were in Room 400 and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind remarks about your recent stay with us. I was especially glad to read that you enjoyed the excellent service that you received from Francisco and Norma in our Grill. We will make sure they see this review and both will be thrilled to know you singled them out for their service. Your review is most appreciated and I hope to welcome you back to Silverado Resort and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Nice, clean room. Comfy beds and large bathrooms. We rented a condo with two king bedrooms (wewere two couples)overlooking the driving range.
Pretty quiet, except for neighboring chickens crowing very early each morning!
Great location, easy to jump onto the Silverado trail, close to downtown Napa too. Nice spa with gym included for a minimal resort fee. Good breakfast buffet on weekend, with great bloody marys!
The staff was good, but a bit dismissive when we called for a golf cart ride to the mansion, telling us we couldn't schedule a time for pickup. (Huh?) Also, they put a duraflame log in your room, but when we asked for another the next night they said there would be a $3 charge. Really? Kinda chintzy. Had to check out very early, so they promised to email us our folio, which we had to call them back and remind them to do. Not so "on the ball".

Room Tip: ask specific questions, such as where the room will be located. away from Atlas Peak rd would be be...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We were happy to read you had an enjoyable stay with us, but will make sure we follow up on those challenges you had with getting a ride to the mansion and your bill emailed to you. Thank you for letting us know about those issues and I do sincerely hope you will return to Silverado Resort and Spa the next time you visit Napa.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed here for our 1 year anniversary. Great staff and facilaties. Even provided a log for the fire place. 1 bedroom room we stayed in had kitchen and dishes, etc. Bed was soft and comfy. Bathroom was big and was useful for 2 at once. Will come back and stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your thoughtful remarks are helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience possible. We hope to see you at the Resort again soon!