“Grandma's shabby condo”

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Studio City, California
“Grandma's shabby condo”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

What a disappointment! Dark musty condo-like room with a very saggy bed. The furnishings looked like they were from the 80's. Loose door knobs, broken screens, clean but sad. Some people in our group had updated rooms, but they had a long walk or had to drive to get to meetings, spa or dining.
I ate at the Grill for breakfast and lunch every day, and although the food was good, service took forever, actually making some people late for spa treatments and tee times. The wait staff tried very hard, but I think the management was clueless and the hostess always seemed overwhelmed.
The spa is very nice and the massage therapist was knowledgeable.
Emilio the man from engineering was so very nice and helpful when he came to correct several problems in our room.
I heard they are planning a complete renovation, so I would say if you are thinking of staying at this resort, make sure you get an updated room or wait until they have finished their renovations.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an updated room!!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank monkeyjah
LegendaryNapa, Service Ambassador at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you for your valuable review of the Silverado Resort and Spa. I do apologize that you did not have the quality experience Silverado has built its reputation on. We are working hard to improve our guest rooms and as you said, we will be renovating the rooms beginning in the next coming months. Because we did not want to wait until the rooms were complete, we are introducing a beautiful new bedding package that we know will enhance our guests' stay with us.

While I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal in the Grill, I have passed along your concerns with regard to wait time and our hostess directly to managment who will be following up. We were also very glad to hear that you had great service from Emilio in our Engineering Department as well as a pleasant experience at our Spa. We do take great pride in our service levels and are always thrilled to hear about good experiences with our staff.

Thank you again for taking the time to review Silverado Resort and we do sincerely hope to see you back at the Resort the next time you visit the Napa Valley.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Korean first
Reno, NV
Reviewed October 2, 2011

To call the Silverado a "Resort" is the most misrepresentative statement ever.
First of all, they are not hotel rooms at all. they're more like old apartments that have been divided up into as many rooms as possible just to maximize profit. we were nearly a mile from the main property in what appeared to be a private community of condos built sometime well before I was even born. after following the shuttle van to the "room" i said to my boyfriend "it looks like people live here...like these are apartments." at which time the bellman got out of the shuttle and approached our vehicle to tell us that this was our room and our parking spot, but the owner was parked there right now so we could just park in the parking lot across the street. we were both confused to say the least. he didn't take us to our room or take our bags, he just left us there to find our way. when we opened the door to the room i was stunned. it was so tiny i could literally reach everything except for the bathroom without leaving the bed. my bedroom at home is nearly twice as big as the entire hotel room we stayed in, including closet, bathroom and patio (which gave us a beautiful view of the back of a carport). there were four air conditioning units right outside our door, which was right under the staircase and next to the room our "landlord" was staying in (weird to say the least). it was loud, the shower wasn't clean and basically, we paid a ton of money to sleep in a small walk-in closet. i cancelled our reservations for the next night immediately, which turned out to be the one and only thing we were satisfied with the entire night - the fact that they cancelled our reservation without charging for the rest of it. we still had to pay nearly $300 for the one night which is by far, the biggest waste of money I have ever experienced.The worst part is, when we went to Calistoga and St Helena the next day, everyone we spoke to about it didn't seem surprised in the least.
the website and all information the Silverado presents is a total misrepresentation of what it actually is. buyer beware!

Room Tip: here's a tip to choose a great room at the Silverado.....sleep in your car! it will probably be...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank betsy m
First of all thank you for your review with regard to your recent stay at Silverado Resort and Spa. We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience while you were here. I was particularly disappointed in hearing that the bellman that escorted you to your room did not actually take you to your room and assist you with your luggage. I do apologize and understand that this was definitely not the level of service expected from Silverado, nor was it the level of service we are used to delivering. Your comments were passed along to our Director of Guest Experience who will address the issue directly with the staff.

In regards to your room, I do understand your frustration. As I am sure you have probably read in previous responses from Silverado on Trip Advisor, we are working hard at enhancing our guests rooms beginning with introducing a new bedding package this month and then in the next coming months we will begin work on our mulit-million dollar room renovation project. I can assure you that when completed, each one of future guests will be pleased.

Again, thank you for taking the time out to express your concerns. It is with comments such as yours that we hope to gain insight on what we can do to make this Resort the very best it can be.
Armonk
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Attended two conferences there. Each time I had a one BR suite on the ground floor. The hotel is like a condo set up. Each building has 4 suites and 4 singles split on two floors. The rooms I stayed in were slightly different. Both were in the low 600s room numbers and about a 15 minute walk to the clubhouse. Each room was differently decorated and with full kitchens. The main building smelled old and the rooms were run down, the bathrooms were low quality and cramped, the furnishings outside of the tv were old and worn, and the view from the low 600s was not inspiring. A golf course view would have neen nicer. At 300 a night it is not worth it. Kind of like staying in someone's condo. About a 10 minute drive to down town Napa. The Clubhouse restaurant was good for a burger but not much else. What trouble me most was the parking at your rom location. They have parking for eight cars in front of your unit. But the parking is designed so that half the cars block the other cars. I parked in first and was locked in for most of the day because the other fellow was out playing golf. Aft ht I parked in a general lot about 100 yards away.
Overpriced, run down, and there are better selections.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank ARC55
Thank you for taking the time to review Silverado Resort and Spa. Our policy is always to exceed our guests' expectations and we were disappointed to hear yours were not met. We are sorry that your room was not what you had hoped it would be and do understand your frustrations with dated furnishings. I would like to let you know we are working very hard to correct this. We have listened to the reviews of our guests and in the next coming months will begin a multi-million dollar room renovation project. Also, because we did not want to wait for the renovations to be complete, we are introducing a beautiful new bedding package this month that will showcase a simplistic elegence in our guest rooms.

I would also like to thank you for addressing the parking issue that you encountered while staying. Our Security Department has been alerted of this problem and is working on a way to better improve the situation as there should never be anyone blocking any of the cars in, nor should it be a confusing process.

Thanks again for your valued feedback and we do hope to see you back at Silverado Resort in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Unfortunately had 3 nights at this hotel last week as a delegate attending a conference.Arrived at 2.30 pm on the Sunday and was immediately told that check-in was from 4pm. A member of the reception staff said that he would try and 'fast track' the cleaning of my room so that it would be ready before this time. He took my number and said he would call me to let me know. Not having heard further from him i approached the reception at 4.01 pm for an update and amazingly was told that my room was now miracously ready. I was not alone in this respect as there were by now about a dozen or so other guests hanging around waiting to be allocated their rooms as well.

I was eventually allocated room 618 which was right on the perimeter of the resort (about 15 minutes walk from the reception or a 5 minute drive). When I arrived at the room I found a very very tired bland room full of 1970's furnishings which should have been discarded many years ago. The view wasn't particularly inspiring either. The main road to one side and a view of the driving range. Unpacking my bag I thought I would check the wi-fi. Guess what this wasn't operating.
Phoning the front desk they put me in contact with their offsite IT provider. To be fair they were pretty helpful although it was a bit surreal to be told to walk around the room with my iPad in the air to see whether I could get a signal. Anyway after wasting an hour or so with no success they suggested that I try again the following day to see whether I could get a signal. I did and I didn't! With this I phoned up the front desk and requested a room change. They said they would try to accommodate my request but the hotel was busy. Eventually I was allocated a room nearer the main hotel (5 minutes walk) but was only allowed to move in from 4.00 pm that day. The room (222) was better than the previous room I was given but when you are paying a significant daily rate plus resort charges and taxes then let's just say I was still very underwhelmed! I did now however have wi-fi so things were on the up. I spoke to a number of the other delegates attenting the conference and feedback was mixed. Some said their rooms were great, with comptempory furnishings and great views but the vast majority held my view that the rooms were just not good enough. Apparently many of the rooms rented out have owners and therefore it really is pot luck
with regards to room allocation. I was originally due to stay 4 nights at this hotel but ended up just staying the 3 so that could get back to San Francisco and enjoy some comfort. I have been to a number of these conventions in the past (which are held all over the states) and I have to say that this resort hotel was the worst and most impractical place I have ever stayed at. You may have gathered i have no intention of visiting this place again whether for business or for pleasure. The only redeeming feature is the challenging golf course which is maintained to a very high standard......it's not cheap though!

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank 1879fulham
Thank you for taking the time to review Silverado Resort and Spa. In reading your comments, I was disappointed to hear that you did not have the quality experience Silverado is known for. I would like the chance to address a few of the issues you mentioned. I am sorry that you were told that someone would call you when your room is ready, only to never receive a phone call at all. This is unacceptable. When someone tells you that they will follow up, it should happen. Plain and simple. Our Front Office staff has been talked to about this issue to ensure it doesn't happen for future guests.

We are thrilled to let our guests know that within the last two weeks we have been in the process of upgrading our entire WiFi system. As you know with a Resort as large as we are, this is not just a simple task. We are confident that this new system will better serve the needs of our guests. Also, if you haven't heard yet, beginning in the next few months we will begin a mulit-million dollar room renovation. The rooms will be beautiful and we know our guests will be very pleased.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to address your concerns and we do hope that you will reconsider Silverado Resort and Spa as the place you will stay when visiting the Napa Valley.
La Jolla, California
Reviewed September 30, 2011

To call this place a Resort and Spa is a real stretch. Staff is pleasant. The place lacks leadership and proper management. It is marginal at best.

To recap my complaint:
No bottle of complementary water in the room at over $300.00 per night. The amenities were sub standard for a resort (and in fact were better at the Best Western in Napa). The beverages in the mini bar had expired expiration dates and were flat. No food service after 10pm. This is a Resort in the country. It is miles to town and the only thing they offer is to call a a pizza place (with a 1 ½ hour wait for delivery). The robes they provide are pathetic. They are well worn and wouldn't fit a 12 year old child.

This not a Resort…it is a Motel. A very expensive 3 Star Motel.

Room Tip: Go someplace else
1 Thank David W
Thank you for your valuable feedback with regard to your recent stay at Silverado Resort and Spa. We do apologize that you did not have the experience you were looking for when staying with us. I can assure you I have passed along your comments to our management staff for follow up. With regard to the expired beverages in your mini bar, we have sent someone remove all expired items. This is something that should not have happened and something that should always be checked. While you are correct, we are a Resort located on the outskirts of the town of Napa (about a 5 to 10 minute drive), this is something we feel sets us apart from other hotels. Our hotel is located within walking distance of some great wineries and within just a couple of minutes of driving time from several others.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review the Resort. It is with feedback such as yours that we hope to continually gain insight on what we can do to make this Resort the very best it can be.
Glens Falls, New York, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed in room 254 with its "indoor/outdoor carpeting" and 80's furnishings. I agree with the earlier review entitled "outdated and overpriced". I am told by the locals that this used to be nice and they think management is starting to renovate and upgrade the rooms. We were told by "engineering" that soon they will upgrade the poor TV reception and the slow or sometimes non existent wifi. As for the plumbing and why one has to sometimes flush 3-4 times to remove the waste "that is a longstanding problem".
It is a bit of a time warp here on the site of a beautiful looking golf course. The signs on the doors to the room say "No spikes please". The sign at the pool says those with long hair must wear a bathing cap.
The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The rooms and common areas are clean. The staff is very friendly. The Spa and the gym are very nice. The free exercise classes are great. Lots of tennis courts.
This place is in a great location and has lots of potential. But we have been here 5 days and management has not offered to make any of the above better. I recommend staying at the Napa River Inn until this place upgrades its rooms and its infrastructure.

Room Tip: Wait awhile and check the reviews before staying here.
1 Thank Chris S
StarExperience, Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to convey to us the issues that arose during your recent stay with us. As we are committed to quality, I will be passing along your comments to our staff to better improve the experience that our future guests will have. I do apologize that your guest room was not up to the standards you expected.

We would like to have you back as a guest and truly appreciate the feedback.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed September 27, 2011

So after reading the many mixed reviews of the Silverado resort, we booked here for a 3 night stay in Sept 2011. My husband and I worked with a travel agent who has been to the property a number of times and really liked it. Once we checked in and were shown to our room (1 bedroom golf course fireplace suite), it was a HUGE disappointment. It's a condo-style with full kitchen and living room, but the green carpet, dated furniture and overall drab feel of the room was disappointing. We called the front desk and mentioned that our travel agent requested an upgraded room and that we were not happy with this one. It took over an hour for us to be moved (the resort is huge and really spread out), but we moved into the Oak Creek section room #880 and it was great! Granite countertops, very cozy, newer room with updated tile shower. But this was at least a 5 min drive to the main hotel, and was in a gated, residential section of the resort. For us it was great since we had a car and wanted to relax, but I would not recommend it if you are coming with family and want to go back/forth to the hotel and different times (they do have a shuttle but it takes time). Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, but I would give this "luxury" hotel 3 because of the major inconsistency in rooms. Also, they had a 50% off promotion for two of the weeknights we stayed, so get a deal and ask for an upgraded room!

Room Tip: Ask for newly upgraded rooms/suites because there is a BIG difference
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
The Westin Verasa Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,033 reviews

Been to Silverado Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!