“Not at all what we expected, horrible experience”

The Westin Verasa Napa
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 8, 2010

So nice place, that's about it. We had a half of roll of toilet paper in our room and no replacement! Unbelievable! Two of the lights were out, and this is just not the expectation of this hotel. The worst part is that they charged us TWICE for a one night stay. They still have not got back to me about the charge. I have called them three times today with the answer "the accountant is in a meeting". With all of these problems I bet she will be in a meeting for a long time!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,410)

Reviewed January 7, 2010

This hotel was modern, clean, spacious. The style of the hotel is Craftsman. The entry is spacious but rather plain. There is a bar serving lots of the local wines. There is a very expensive restaurant attached the hotel.

We paid for their standard room which was a suite. The King bed was extremely comfortable. There was a sofa bed that was also suprisingly(!) comfortable for a pullout. An LCD TV in both the bedroom and living room. A kitchen with all the utensils and a couple of packets of Starbucks. Spacious bathroom was beautiful with lots of marble, glass and stone. What was unusual about the room was the presence of a stationary bicycle, medicine ball, free weights, exercise ball, and lots of exercising accessories.

The staff of the hotel really tried hard to please and one could sense lots of great customer service training. However, the valets (mandatory) doubled as Bell boys and there seemed to be only two per shift. Felt very sorry as they were really running their tails off to please while customers had to wait awhile on their cars.

The reader should be aware this this hotel is situated just over a river and adjacent to the town of Napa. It is located on the extreme southern end of the Napa Valley. With a car it is a five minute drive to the beginning of the vineyards. The only reason I mention this is because some of the photos give the impression this might be a hotel in the country overlooking or amongst the vineyards which it is not. If you want that (and I would recommend it) consider Yountville, St. Helena, or Calistoga (note that the distance between Napa on the southern end of the valley and Calistoga on the north end is only about 35 miles on a superb road (not so superb driving if you have tasted too many wines). However, Westin does offer quality at a more affordable price then the boutique Inns and hotels deeper in the valley.

Be aware that Westin has jumped on the bandwaggon with so many hotels that advertise one price but have all kinds of added fees. Thanks to Tripadvisor reviewers we knew in advance the real cost so this was not an issue (out nightly rate was $155 + $18.60 Napa tax + $20.00 amenity fee + $2.40 tax on the amenity fee so that is about 26% more than the published price). Internet and Valet are free.

Reviewed December 30, 2009

We traveled with our toddler of 17 months to Napa and spent 1 night at the Westin. The check in process was seamless and we were upgraded to the 1BR Premium Suite which was perfect for our toddler to run around. The front desk and concierge were extremely helpful and were able to help us with some insider tips on things to do. The hotel itself is being sold to individual owners but you wouldn't be able to tell since it still functions as a first class full service hotel. We had dinner at La Toque and thought the food was really good. The atmosphere is a bit formal and a bit pricey (especially the wine list). All in all, we were extremely satisfied to be located near the heart of the wineries, Michelin star restaurant on the hotel premises, spacious suite with top of the line finishes, and an excellent staff. We decided this would be the start of a great annual tradition as a getaway from all the Christmas festivities.

Reviewed December 26, 2009

What a beautiful Westin! This Westin is modern, clean and in a perfect location. We stayed there for one night in mid December and wished we could have stayed longer. We had 2 rooms. One for my Mother-in-Law and one for us. We were there to celebrate our son’s 5th birthday. He mentioned that he was almost 5 to one of the staff and happened to mention that he likes building Lego and when we returned back from dinner there was a gift bag in our suite for him with a new Lego in it. The lobby is really nice to relax and enjoy a nice glass of wine. We walked to the newer Oxbow Marketplace for dinner. Later that evening Grandma offered to babysit and my husband and I went out on the town. We were able to walk to some really great spots for some food, drink and fun in the older downtown Napa. Downtown Napa is really nice! I have to put a good word in for Downtown Joe's and their clam chowder! Good bar atmosphere and great clam chowder. In the morning, we went for a lovely swim in the hotel pool and hot tub, which are both outside and very clean and nice and warm on a rainy day. We often go on adventures and stay at many nice hotels and this one ranks at the very top of my favorites list! I think we will be back very soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 26, 2009

It is a nice new hotel. A bit lower quality materials compared to other Westins I stayed but fine until they wear out..

The hotel staff is not up to my expectations for a westin. The main issue seems to be managers do not understand yet what a good quality service their customers expect from them. Once the managers understand, they will be able to educate their staff but I do not think that that is happening. Now, staff is saying that they are sorry and that they are a new hotel but you do not see and effort to fix anything you happen to bump into.

They have a weird policy valet only parking with a completely empty garage. If you do not want to leave your car to valet, you need to park on the city street where there is no security. But, the garage does not have any security either :-) gates are always open.

Some specifics

They have heated pool and jacuzzi. They pitched so well that my kid had to have it. So, we went but jacuzzi jets were not working,.Without us calling anybody, somebody came by, then a manager, then the maintenace person. Each of them had almost had the same words: Ohh! You could not work the jets? Let me give try. I told myself that there is no magic in this, you just turn a dial. It is not about me not knowing how to do it, it is just not working. They all came and they all went back. They couldn't/didn't fix it. But, did not come back and say why. My guess that it was not working for whatever reason, they knew that from the begining but did not have the face to tell to us since they are over selling it even while we were checking in.

We ordered of the breakfast items two days in a row. Second day, it was fairly bad, no consistency.

They have a nice restaurant. I checked out the menu and wanted to have dinner there. I mentioned to the host that my kid would not able to eats and if they can find something simple to eat. The answer was no. I asked if they can bring something from the other restaurant's menu. The answer was an arrogent no. I finally indciated that I want to have dinner there but my kid is paying he bill and need to work it out :-) Then, the host suddenly changed the tone and said they could prepare some pasta or make a meal size outof some smaller plates they have. Too arrogent for a restaurant that has only a few people for thw whole night - hotel was also near empty due to Christmas time. I ended up going to a nice country frensh restaurant in downton napa - Angele and liked it.

On the day of check out, we had breakfast and charged to my room. I went to checkout counter and told them that I have an additional breakfast since the last night's bill I gave to them. The person did n even listen and said that I was done. I said I had breakfast that is not on the bill and I would like them to put that on the bill and reprint. She called the restaurant and I could see both of them talking on and waiter saw me waiting. I got the bell boy bring down our belongings with me - which is another 5-10 minutes. My bill still not ready and the girl at hte counter put the blame at the restaurant that they have not put the charge in so I just walked to the restaurant which was a few steps and asked what happened. She started to come up excuses that the others already checked me out so she could not put the meal on, etc., blaming the other staff. I asked her why should I care about these excuses and blames? I asked her to just do it, which surprisingly took less than a minute. The girl at the check out counter said that they are a new hotel and they are sorry. I reminded her that it is not about being a new hotel, and that she did not even listen to what I told her about adding my breakfast to the bill and she ignored my comment my request and said I am done. She just smiled back.

There are other less important irritaing things such as hot water taking really long time (>5 minutes), changing channels on TV is full 2 seconds and you cannot zip channels through quickly, missing pillow cover, etc.

But the main issue is that managers and staff do not understand they are in service business. Some arrogance which is very unjustified for a Westin motel :-), especially while hotel is practically deserted, and no effort in trying to keep their customer happy. I think somebody miseducated them that they are Westin that they are better than other hotels in the area, that they know it all via good training on what to tell the customer without thinking or listening first... It will take some time for the behaviors to change since most had the same attitude.

I was explaining someof my unhappiness to the bell boy while walking out, he was feeling very sorry. He asked for my contact information so that they could follow up and make it up to me. I had to tell him that he knows my room number and the hotel has all the contact information they need (my address, my phone, my cell phone) and I can not figure out why I had to explain these type of things. Maybe, everybody working there is new to the hotel business, from staff to managers.

Reviewed December 21, 2009

We spent one night here as we were coming to town for dinner at La Toque and wanted to be able to just get in an elevator afterwards. The hotel was nicer then we expected. It has been open a couple of years now and everything is sparkling clean and new. The staff is uniformly friendly and helpful. It was pretty chilly, but we braved the outdoors to use the large hot tub and nice warm pool. There is also a bocce court - if we had known we would have brought the set - although my husband said it was too cold to play. We had a standard room with a river view. Very comfortable and well maintained.
It is a Westin, so they take pets and were very nice about our bringing our dog. we did see others on the property.
There is a $20 per night resort fee which includes the valet parking and wireless internet service.
The hotel is a about a block from the Oxbow Market which is a great place to go get coffee or to the bakery or a glass of wine and oysters. And if you are heading home, hit the different farm stands for wonderful meat and produce.
For visitors from other areas - the town of Napa is historically a working class, industrial town. You will not be staying in the vineyards. But this hotel would be an excellent base to stay and then explore the valley.
And do go have dinner at La Toque – a Michelin one star restaurant. Yes, it is a little expensive, but this is serious fine dining – you can have a French Laundry type meal at a fraction of the price.
My husband is already asking when we can come stay again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This was a girls getaway. Action packed with a full itinerary. The Westin Verasa hotel was centrally located to the downtown area and within walking distances to shops and restaurants. The two bedroom deluxe suite was very comfortable and beautifully decorated. The front desk staff was friendly and courteous, and eager to answer any questions we had. The concierge arranged several outtings for us and seem to want to make our experience enjoyable and memorable. Absolutely nothing derrogatory I could say. We had a great time, and we will look forward to another girls getaway at the
Westin Verasa.